Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

4.3U and SSBB hacks - what's the problem?

Posted by nintendude 
4.3U and SSBB hacks - what's the problem?
September 09, 2010 10:13PM
* A little note before my question: Yes, it's me again. I'm sure you see the post made halfway or so down the page about me uninstalling HBC. Well, long story short, I found that I'd rather have it than not. I was better off just leaving it on my Wii to begin with.*

I have a 4.3U Wii (not the new version, but the older one from June) and I managed to install HBC (once again, for good this time) through the Smash Stack exploit. After compiling a list of codes and going to use them, everything works fine until I get to the stage selection screen where the game freezes. After doing a little bit of googling, I found that many others are having the same problem as I and that the problem lies in the (older) 4.3 system menu. How can I fix this? I heard that one solution is to install an IOS fix, but I'm not sure exactly if this really is the best method (or the correct one). Can anyone tell me what the true solution is?
Re: 4.3U and SSBB hacks - what's the problem?
September 09, 2010 10:26PM
Dunno, sounds like something in IOS updates is conflicting with the codes. Only possible explanation as this is all that is running at the time that has changed. This has NOTHING to do with System Menu version, as SM is NOT running when SSBB is. And there only is one System Menu 4.3. The recent update was just IOS and Shop Channel, not System Menu.
September 10, 2010 12:10AM
Are you sure you're using a FAT32-formatted 2GB SD card? Also, before you do the exploit, you need to delete/move ALL custom stages (including the 3 pre-made ones). You also need the new Hackmii Installer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2010 12:10AM by Mestizo.
September 10, 2010 02:33AM
Mestizo
Are you sure you're using a FAT32-formatted 2GB SD card? Also, before you do the exploit, you need to delete/move ALL custom stages (including the 3 pre-made ones). You also need the new Hackmii Installer.
I think you should read the topic next time
September 10, 2010 03:41AM
Am I right in thinking you are getting this while playing the SSBB game itself? It sounds just like mine when I play and it goes to a select stage with the SD card in it. Turns my Wii into a screaching banshee!
If I am correct that this is what you are meaning, I pull my SD card out of the Wii when I play and it works fine. I was assuming it is just because I never deleted the bootmii.elf and bootmini.elf from the SD root. I was going to try deleting them to see if that really is the problem. I figure I can just put them back if anything goes wrong, but I'm kinda caught up in looking around atm. =D Maybe someone else knows before I go through the trouble or maybe I'm wrong in my assumptions altoghether.

~Angua~
September 10, 2010 04:24PM
I think his problem is that his SSBB freezes when he tries to use some hacks (aka cheat codes) for the game. If I am understanding this correctly this is not related to the stage builder in the vault menu. It hangs up on him in the stage selection screen everytime he wants to play while using the cheat codes.

My question would be... What app are you using for loading the codes and the games? Riivolution? Gecko OS? some other? What version of it are you using? Does your game play fine if you run it normally without the codes?

That information can actually help us to provide you more accurate information.
September 11, 2010 01:59AM
Axel
What app are you using for loading the codes and the games? Riivolution? Gecko OS? some other? What version of it are you using? Does your game play fine if you run it normally without the codes?

I'm using Gecko OS 1.9.3.1 (off the top of my head, I just downloaded it the other day). SSBB plays just fine without any of the codes. Additionally, it's worth mentioning that having the stage select option in rules go in consecutive or random order right after the character select screen (which bypasses the stage select screen altogether) plays the game with hacks just fine. It's weird as I'm using the same codes that I used successfully before on the same SD card that was successfully used before. There has to be something with the update as it worked just fine on 4.2U...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2010 11:27PM by nintendude.
September 13, 2010 11:33PM
Sorry to bump this thread, but I would like to know if you guys know of a workaround that will help me fix this problem or if there is one that is being worked on, as this seems to be a problem that is effecting more than just me. Also, I re-worded my last post slightly to (hopefully) clarify the exact circumstances of the problem that I'm facing.
September 14, 2010 12:10AM
Try downgrading IOS 36. It is easiest to do this with DOP-Mii.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2010 12:11AM by jbc007.
September 14, 2010 07:38AM
jbc007
Try downgrading IOS 36. It is easiest to do this with DOP-Mii.

How would I go about doing that?
September 14, 2010 06:36PM
1) Launch DOP-Mii from the HBC.
2) Go to the IOS installation section of DOP-Mii.
3) Choose and install a revision of IOS 36 that is not the latest revision.
September 14, 2010 08:52PM
jbc007

If you have a "LU64+" Wii, make sure not to install too old a revision of IOS36.
September 14, 2010 09:02PM
SifJar
jbc007

If you have a "LU64+" Wii, make sure not to install too old a revision of IOS36.

Just to clarify, this only applies to the first revision (v1042). If you install IOS 36 v1042 on an "LU64+" wii, anything using IOS 36 will not work, but this is easily fixed. However, if you have an older wii, I advise installing IOS 36 v1024.
September 16, 2010 08:01PM
Problem solved. After uninstalling HBC, updating to the enhanced version of 4.3U, formatting system memory, and reinstalling HBC, I can go to the stage select screen just fine. Looks like Mestizo was right: the enhanced 4.3U update really does make HBC run better (he said faster, but that's still in the better category, right?)! Maybe it had something to do with IOS 58 being updated?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2010 08:05PM by nintendude.
September 16, 2010 09:07PM
Any improvement in IOS 58 may affect the Homebrew Channel, but since SSBB uses IOS 36, a change to IOS 58 could not make any difference to it. However, IOS 36 was updated as well. Something was clearly wrong with IOS 36 on your wii, so that is why it now works.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login