Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I want to use my SD Card, but it freezes...

Posted by Saint 
I want to use my SD Card, but it freezes...
September 12, 2010 10:25PM
Whenever I go to the SD Card menu, I can see it's still trying to load boot.elf or whatever, and my Wii freezes and makes that buzzing noise (it asks me to load boot.elf and freezes). I modded my Wii LOOOONG ago, and I just decided to ask this now. I'm on a 4.1U Menu if that matters (that's the menu I softmodded it on too). I'm pretty sure this is just the matter of me not deleting certain files after installing.

I still have the following files on the sd card (these are the files that I think could be causing the problem).

private(folder)
boot.dol
config.dat
keys.bin
nand.bin
installer (it's a log file)
00000001 (folder)

I'm not trying to use my SD Card to install homebrew (I already have that), I'm trying to use it to put channels and stuff on since my Wii doesn't have many blocks left.

Please note I have bootmii installed as boot2 and I did a nand back up, and I'd like to keep bootmii on ALWAYS, so don't tell me to remove any of those files.
Re: I want to use my SD Card, but it freezes...
September 12, 2010 10:52PM
Don't remove them then. You'll keep encountering these problems all the time. The thing is that (if I'm not mistaken) you still have the exploit in there, which causes the Wii to crash and thus, attempt to load your .dol file. I can't remember exactly what the name of the file and the directory the exploit is supposed to be in (only hacked one Wii, my Wii, and it was a long time ago, so I can't really recall it), but if someone else where to fill in... basically you just have to remove the exploit card from your SD and your good to go.

On the other hand... it'd strongly advise you to move (or at least copy) your bootmii files to a computer or another safe device. You never know if the physical integrity of your card can ever be compromised (having it break, melt, fall down a cliff or sink to the bottom of a lake), or if by some random odds, the data in your SD becomes corrupted (thus requiring for you, in most cases, to format it and lose everything you have in it).
Personally, I don't know why'd you like to keep your NAND backup with you at all times. Unless you were constantly tinkering with dangerous areas of your Wii, there really is no point in keeping it on your SD. Even I have limits to my bricking paranoia, heh. You could always go ahead and purchase a second SD card and use it for whatever mischevious things you want.

I hope I helped. If anyone else finds my post lacking, feel free to add what I missed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2010 10:55PM by Magil.
September 12, 2010 11:38PM
Maybe it's just the private folder I need to delete. I keep bootmii on because I have it auto-boot to my HBC since there's no point in going to my main wii menu anymore as I can load anything I want from there.
September 13, 2010 02:14AM
If you used Bannerbomb to install the Homebrew Channel, then you need to delete your private folder, or you will continue to have issues.
September 13, 2010 03:52AM
The private folder contains all of your wii data. If you don't want to lose this, only delete Bannerbomb. Bannerbomb is in the following directory: SD:\private\wii\title\aktn\content.bin. Delete the aktn folder.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login