Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Update 3.2u to current - will I lose HBC?

Posted by exintrovert 
Update 3.2u to current - will I lose HBC?
September 24, 2010 01:20AM
My Wii has system 3.2u.
I used the twilight hack and have the HBC installed.

My wii has not been connected to the net since I rearranged my house and put the wii out of range of my wifi.

Now it is years later and I have a connection. I want to run a system update, but am uneasy. Will the update delete the HBC? Do I need to remove HBC from the menu first, and will I be able to copy it back from my sd card afterward? I have beta 8 HBC and downloaded the update several times but the update never ran. Do I need to make sure that is updated first?

Any other considerations I should take?

I guess I am wondering if I will need to run an exploit again after I update, or not.

Thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2010 02:04AM by exintrovert.
Re: How to update safely
September 24, 2010 02:08AM
The HBC will be removed unless you have the latest version. The Twilight Hack and Bannerbomb will not work after the update, so if you do not update the HBC first, you will need one of the currently exploitable games to reinstall it. On system menu 3.3+, the HBC and all other custom channels can not be copied from the SD card to the wii. After updating, homebrew relying on old IOS exploits (trucha bug) will not work. Since some applications no longer rely on these exploits, this becoming less of an issue; however, there are still many applications that do rely on these bugs. Also, Bootmii/boot2 will be removed by the update (if you have it, which to me seems very unlikely), but it can be reinstalled.

By many people (myself not included), these are considered to be extremely minor issues when compared to the non-existent benefits of the update. Therefore, there is no need to avoid the update, but don't expect to get anything worthwhile from it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2010 02:10AM by jbc007.
Re: How to update safely
September 24, 2010 02:12AM
Yes, if you were to run the System Update right now the new system would remove the HBC. You need to update the HBC first:
- Download the latest HackMii Installer from [bootmii.org]
- Put it in its own folder in the apps folder (for example, SD:\apps\HackMii_Installer-v0.8\boot.elf
- Run the Homebrew Channel and select to run the HackMii Installer
- Install the Homebrew Channel 1.0.8
Then you can update your Wii from System Settings
Re: Update 3.2u to current - will I lose HBC?
September 24, 2010 02:17AM
JBC007, Thank you for your reply.

So if I understand you correctly, I must update the HBC to the current version and leave it on the console, and it will remain in the menu after the update.

If I remove the HBC from the menu, I will need to run one of the current exploits to get it back.

Any unofficial channels I have backed up onto an sd card will not be able to be added back to my wii after the update.

Correct?

BG4545, Thanks for the link. Very helpful. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2010 02:19AM by exintrovert.
September 24, 2010 02:27AM
While updating will not cause harm to your Wii, there is really no need to update to 4.3. If you want to save some time and Internet bandwidth, I recommend you do the following:

Launch Dop-Mii (wiibrew edition is fine) from the Homebrew Channel. Use it to install the latest revision of IOS 58.

Then run the latest HackMii Installer to update the Homebrew Channel. Also install BootMii as boot2 and make a NAND backup if you haven't done so already.

Then, you have two options:

Option 1 (Not recommend but easier): Run official Wii system update. Reinstall BootMii as boot2 afterward.

Option 2 (Recommended but more difficult): Run Dop-Mii using the new Homebrew Channel. Use it to install IOS 60 v6174 (IMPORTANT: DO NOT INSTALL THE LATEST REVISION!) Then install System Menu 4.1 (this is the latest version that adds new features.) If you need the Wii Shop Channel, install the latest revision of IOS 56 and then v20 of the Wii Shop Channel. Then install any other IOSes as needed. Enjoy!
September 24, 2010 03:02AM
Correct, unofficial channels (including the HBC) cannot be copied from the SD card back the Wii.

exintrovert
I must update the HBC to the current version and leave it on the console, and it will remain in the menu after the update.

If I remove the HBC from the menu, I will need to run one of the current exploits to get it back.
Yes and yes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login