Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Preventing update's

Posted by Xanth 
Preventing update's
November 02, 2010 12:59AM
Hey guys :). I only have 1 concern about HBC... and that is of course bricks. I was wondering if I could get advice on preventing wii update's that could brick my wii. Like accidently or whatever I just don't want my sister and her husband to accidently frikin yeah.... lol. I know to install bootmii as boot2, and backup NAND, but any advice is appreciated tyvm :).

Note: Tyvm for everyone being so helpful to me :).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2010 12:59AM by Xanth.
Re: Preventing update's
November 02, 2010 01:25AM
You don't need to worry about bricks from updates, if you have every thing you need and nothing bad then there shouldn't be any bricks. I think its priiloader that will block updates but not for sure. Its been a while since I last read about. If you have the latest version of HBC and have updated to 4.3 you should have to worry for quite some time before another update. Also if you have your wii connected to the internet, you will get a message on the wii board that says there is a update. I always make sure to tell everybody in my house never ever update unless I am asked first so I can look into it.
November 02, 2010 01:52AM
If you want to disable updates, enable the appropriate Priiloader, Starfall, or StartPatch patch. You will need both the block disc update check and block online update patches. However, an update really shouldn't pose a risk (though especially after Error 003, we can't really guarantee anything about future updates). All the same, it is unlikely that Nintendo will ever brick a wii simply for having homebrew.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2010 01:55AM by jbc007.
November 02, 2010 01:57AM
Tyvm for the quick responses :). The thing is is that all I'm installing from HBC is Gecko OS that's all. So if that's all will that help reduce the chances of bricks? Also I'm not to interested in Priiloader cause I've heard if your not careful you could brick your wii just by installing it wrong etc.... Also what is the best way to prevent update's from game disc's? I've heard sometimes game disk's have update's. Anyways tyvm for the responses, and if you can continue helping me, my mind can be at ease :D.

Also I have 4.2U :).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2010 01:57AM by Xanth.
November 02, 2010 02:06AM
I really would not worry about an update bricking your wii. I strongly believe that error 003 is just a special case, but again, I am not in a position to make any guarantees. In any case, if you have Bootmii/boot2, nothing except a boot2 update/modification could remove it (this has only happened twice so far), and as long as you have Bootmii, you can recover from any brick.

The risk of installing Priiloader (or StartPatch, for the matter) is almost non-existant. In fact, it is arguably safer than the 4.2 update which you performed. Therefore, you have nothing to worry about. In any case, if you want to block updates, you only have two options: don't perform the update when prompted, or block the update with Priiloader or StartPatch.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2010 02:11AM by jbc007.
November 02, 2010 09:00PM
K tyvm for the advice and info :).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login