Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Nintendo Games without upgrading?

Posted by BostonWiiGuy 
New Nintendo Games without upgrading?
November 05, 2010 07:15AM
Is there a way to play newer games like Metroid: Other M without updating to 4.3?
The more unobtrusive, the better.
I currently have 4.2 and depend on bannerbomb... Smash Stack just won’t do.

Thank you!
Re: New Nintendo Games without upgrading?
November 05, 2010 09:22AM
I don't know what you have against Smash Stack but you can use Gecko OS to skip the update and play the game.
November 05, 2010 06:26PM
"depend" on bannerbomb? Why just install HBC? Then you can launch homebrew without relying on any sort of exploit, and you can safely update to 4.3 without any worries.
November 05, 2010 06:41PM
BostonWiiGuy
Is there a way to play newer games like Metroid: Other M without updating to 4.3?

Thank you!

You can block system updates with Priiloader or StartPatch.
November 05, 2010 08:38PM
LaserFlash
BostonWiiGuy

Thank you!

You can block system updates with Priiloader or StartPatch.
He said unobtrusive...
November 06, 2010 03:29AM
bg4545
I don't know what you have against Smash Stack but you can use Gecko OS to skip the update and play the game.
Thanks... O.K., so being a newb and all, that leads to a new question. The instructions for Gecko OS begin “Load boot.elf from Chain Loader”... Except I don’t know what Chain Loader is and it does not have a wiki page? Can I just launch it using bannerbomb?
Then what do I do? Start a game and reset, then just put Metroid in and it will load it and let me play without trying to update the Wii?
SifJar
"depend" on bannerbomb? Why just install HBC? Then you can launch homebrew without relying on any sort of exploit, and you can safely update to 4.3 without any worries.
My main interest is in PussieLoader, which won’t really work without bannerbomb. According to giantpune, who wrote it:
giantpune
Currently ther isnt a way to get pussieloader to work on 4.3. Since it doesnt use any ios exploit or bug, it relies solely on being started directly from the system menu. Pussieloader inherits the privileges of whatever program has started it. If it does not have the permissions of the system menu, it does not have the ability to read the system menu from the nand to patch it and load it.
So HBC or not( and I prefer not) I can’t upgrade to 4.3 without losing this awesome little tool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2010 03:30AM by BostonWiiGuy.
November 06, 2010 04:57AM
Chain Loader was an old version of the Twilight Hack, you should be able to use Bannerbomb instead.
November 06, 2010 05:16AM
BostonWiiGuy
bg4545
Thanks... O.K., so being a newb and all, that leads to a new question. The instructions for Gecko OS begin “Load boot.elf from Chain Loader”... Except I don’t know what Chain Loader is and it does not have a wiki page? Can I just launch it using bannerbomb?
Then what do I do? Start a game and reset, then just put Metroid in and it will load it and let me play without trying to update the Wii?

You can launch it with whatever you want (HBC, Bannerbomb, etc.). Put your game in the wii, and select the option to launch the game. The first time you run a game, it might require you to install an IOS. Depending on the game, Gecko may be able to install the IOS for you. Otherwise, you can install it with DOP-Mii. Though, since you have 4.2, this probably will not be necessary for awhile.

BostonWiiGuy
SifJar
My main interest is in PussieLoader, which won’t really work without bannerbomb. According to giantpune, who wrote it:
giantpune
Currently ther isnt a way to get pussieloader to work on 4.3. Since it doesnt use any ios exploit or bug, it relies solely on being started directly from the system menu. Pussieloader inherits the privileges of whatever program has started it. If it does not have the permissions of the system menu, it does not have the ability to read the system menu from the nand to patch it and load it.
So HBC or not( and I prefer not) I can’t upgrade to 4.3 without losing this awesome little tool.

Correct. There is absolutely no benefit to updating anyway. However, you may as well install the HBC for all of your other homebrew. There is no harm in doing so, but it is much easier to use. Furthermore, some applications don't work properly when launched through Bannerbomb. Additionally, you could patch your system menu to remove the disc update check. That way, you can launch your newer games without using Gecko OS.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2010 05:18AM by jbc007.
November 06, 2010 07:58PM
Thanks guys!
Heh, I only play a few homebrew games, so, not much need for HBC. I really value PussieLoader as a tool for backing up gamesaves because unlike other tools, it does so in the Wii’s native format( am I using that term correctly)? The advantage is that it lets me copy saves that I would not otherwise be able to, so that, for exampe, if My Wii crashes again I will not lose all the Pokémon in my Ranch( which thankfully was empty the first time) or have to start Brawl and Endless Ocean over yet again. Although, now that I will use Gecko I am totally thrilled about the region-free gaming thing, means I could play Disaster: Day of Crisis and Another Code: R.
November 06, 2010 10:29PM
Figured I might add, Priiloader or StartPatch can patch the system menu non-temporarily, which can allow you to copy your game saves, launch out of region games, and block disc updates without the need for Pussieloader or Gecko OS.
November 27, 2010 04:37AM
O.K., I finally got around to trying the Gecko OS thing, and it isn’t working... I can’t start any games from it. It says:
GeckoOS
Exception (DSI) occurred!
and then a lot more info I don’t understand.
November 27, 2010 01:24PM
BostonWiiGuy
O.K., I finally got around to trying the Gecko OS thing, and it isn’t working... I can’t start any games from it. It says:
GeckoOS
Exception (DSI) occurred!
and then a lot more info I don’t understand.

Exception(DSI) is very common in homebrew. Could you post the full error?
November 27, 2010 02:39PM
Linuz
Exception(DSI) is very common in homebrew. Could you post the full error?
...I was afraid you would say that. O.K., hang on...[Grr dang post button, I wanted to preview! Will get the full error up in a bit.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2010 02:43PM by BostonWiiGuy.
November 27, 2010 03:44PM
Full error is virtually useless to pretty much everyone here, there is little point posting it.

You may want to try loading your games with Riivolution or TinyLoad instead, both will allow you to run games without installing the updates from the discs, and both will also allow import games. If a game doesn't work with either of these loaders, you are probably missing the game's IOS.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login