Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Questions before I install the Homebrew Channel

Posted by yoshibirdofan 
Questions before I install the Homebrew Channel
November 20, 2010 08:54PM
Hello, I am a new member of the wiibrew community, and I have a couple of questions,

1: What are the odds that my system will brick if I install the Homebrew Channel?
2: Is it really worth it to install?
3: Can i still update my system without it bricking?

THANKSS!:)
Re: Questions before I install the Homebrew Channel
November 20, 2010 09:05PM
1. Next to zero. I have never heard of anyone bricking their Wii simply from install HBC. It's just what you do with HBC that can be dangerous (i.e. loading dangerous apps you don't understand and messing about with them). If you're just playing with homebrew games, emulators or media players, it's perfectly safe.

2. Depends on you really. Do you enjoy playing free, homemade games? Do you want to be able to get more out of your Wii, turning it into a media player? Do you like "sticking it to the man"? Perhaps you're a programmer, and want a new outlet for your talents? Do you want to play import games safely and easily? If any of these things is more important to you than your Wii's warranty, then yeah it's worth it. But if you value your Wii's warranty above these things, perhaps you should think twice.

3. There is no update yet that has caused more risk to a Wii with HBC installed than one without. The only update that has "intentionally" bricked a Wii was 4.2, which caused "Error #003" on Korean Wiis that had had their region changed to USA, PAL or Japanese. All other updates are just as dangerous to regular users as they are to users with HBC installed (i.e. if there's a power outage at the wrong moment, the Wii will brick, regardless of whether HBC is installed or not)
November 20, 2010 09:10PM
THANK U!!!!! One more question, lets say after a little while i get too paranoid, and wanna erase it, can i?
November 20, 2010 10:50PM
Yes you can, simply run the Hackmii installer or delete it via data management on the wii
November 20, 2010 11:41PM
Deleting it via Data Management will still leave the ticket on the Wii, for a more thorough removal remove via HackMii Installer.

However, it should be noted that Nintendo can almost definitely still track that you have had it installed at one point.
November 21, 2010 01:31AM
what if, i had to send my wii in for repair, and they see the Homebrew channel, will they like send it back unfixed?
November 21, 2010 02:54AM
Yes they will not fix it and send it back saying they found homebrew on it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login