Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Before I jump in...

Posted by Huntman800 
Before I jump in...
November 27, 2010 11:38PM
Before I go forward with this and actually install HBC on my Wii, I had a few questions:

1.) So, the FAQ says that this is legal, but what makes that true? Isn't there a law that makes modification like this illegal, or am I just paranoid?
2.) On the off chance my Wii does brick (I don't intend to install dangerous things, but hey, things happen) the wikipage on bricking says that sending it to Nintendo is a possible option. If HBC voids the warranty, how can you be sure that Nintendo won't sue you? (Or take another action, depending on the answer to question 1)
3.) What's the best thing to do immediately after installing HBC? Make straight for Preloader? Any other apps I should get ASAP in order to make sure nothing goes wrong (or just so I can have fun ;) )

P.S. The buttons made me lol, 'cuz I didn't notice the checkbox above. xD
Re: Before I jump in...
November 28, 2010 12:08AM
1. It is perfectly legal to modify anything you own. The user license agreement thingy says it is forbidden or whatever, but there aren't laws against it. This is true for most countries e.g. the US, but may not be true in all countries.

2. It won't brick simply from installing HBC. Nintendo will never sue you (for a start they have no legal grounds to, and anyway, it wouldn't be worth the cost and time for such a relatively small offence, which would gain them little money), but they have reportedly stopped fixing Wiis with homebrew installed. Hopefully you will never be faced with this problem.

3. If you can install BootMii/boot2, do so and take a NAND dump. This gives you near unbeatable brick protection. Unless you actually understand what Priiloader (updated version of Preloader) IS and what it DOES and most importantly, WHY you need it, I highly advise not installing it.
November 28, 2010 03:34AM
For apps to install, get the homebrew browser. It will let you install a plethera of other apps right on your wii.
November 28, 2010 05:18PM
All right. So I got everything loaded on an SD card, but I guess my Wii is 4.3 (curse my brother...) so I need to wait to borrow Smash Bros (my disc is broken and won't get passed the title screen). Thanks for the quick response though.

UPDATE: K, I got it all installed, and now I'm just backing everything up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2010 02:47AM by Huntman800.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login