Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Upgrading after a long time, suggestions please.

Posted by davewii 
Upgrading after a long time, suggestions please.
December 27, 2010 01:31AM
I got a wii about a year ago. When i got it i installed homebrew channel. I tried to install geexbox and linux but never got it to work good enough to bother. So it has only been playing wii games offline because we dont have a router yet. Today i downloaded wii mc and it works nice enough i would like to update the software. I plugged in a usb harddrive (250 GB NTFS format) and it loaded dvd movie isos but it was very slow and jerky. I suspect its because i dont have usb 2.0 enabled because i dont have ios 58 installed because i have wii menu 4.2U. So i plan to get me a router tommorow and update the system and use it for a media center some. Any suggestions or things to watch out for ?

Currently i have installed:
Wii System 4.2U

Homebrew 1.0.6 with IOS 61 v21.29

WiiMC v 1.1.1 using IOS 36

I also want to stream video/audio to the wii , and or by using the samba or ftp sources in wiimc.

My plan is
1) download and install the hackmii installer v.8 (tonight)
2) purchase wireless router
3) connect wii to the internet and upgrade the system software (which i think comes with ios 58 needed for usb2)
3b) i assume by upgrading hackmii before that i wont lose hackmii or the homebrew channel ??????????
4) let the homebrew channel upgrade itself over the net.
5) stream video iso and avis ????? and watch DVD isos from my harddrive ?????
Re: Upgrading after a long time, suggestions please.
December 27, 2010 04:11AM
Yes make sure you update HBC first, then you can update to 4.3 if you want. You can just get the IOS 58 installer, install IOS 58 from HBC but will need to reinstall HBC with the latest hackmii installer. Or you can use the net to let HBC update, as soon as you chose to open HBC it will ask you if you would like to update to 1.0.8. But I would suggest installing IOS 58, then use the latest hacmkii installer and reinstall HBC to the latest to see IOS 58. There really is no benefit to update to 4.3.
December 27, 2010 04:15AM
Ok i upgraded with hackmii .8 and i now have
Bootmii v1.3
stub v (nothing else)
mini v0.4

Homebrew channel 1.0.8 with IOS 61 v21.29

So tommorow im going to get the internet connected and do a nintendo update to the latest system version, to get IOS 58 so i can use usb 2.0.

Then i will need to upgrade homebrew channel again to get it to use ios 58, right ?
Then wiimc should be able to use usb2 as well , and the system should be ready for new games, and ready to download the free browser channel , right ?

I am a bit paranoid about messing up the wii so please confirm this is correct steps if you know, thank you ! :-)
December 27, 2010 04:18AM
Ok, thanks. I may wait for 4.3 until i get a game that needs it , unless i have to upgrade to download the internet channel web browser.
December 27, 2010 04:31AM
You won't need to upgrade HBC again since your already at its current version. To make use of IOS 58 once its installed, HBC will need to be reinstalled.

You can use the hackmii installer, run it through HBC there will be a option to delete HBC once thats done chose to install it again, thats AFTER IOS 58 is installed, then you will have usb with IOS 58 without having 4.3.
December 27, 2010 11:57PM
Well i got the router working .... after a long fit .....
i tried to download the system update but my internet connection kept failing so i just used the ios 58 updater. Worked great, i can now watch movie ISOs off my harddrive pretty good, and watch youtube and listen to radio with wiimc.

I really want to get the internet channel but i will have to wait and take my wii somewhere with a faster more reliable internet connection. since i have to do the system update to even download the browser.

Streaming isos over a samba share doesnt work so well though. I think wifi doesnt have the bandwith for high quality DVDs.

But just to be clear I should be fine updating the system with nintendo updater since i have installed homebrew channel 1.0.8 and bootmii and ios 58 , right ?
December 28, 2010 02:31AM
Yes since you have HBC at 1.0.8 you can update to 4.3 if you like.
December 30, 2010 05:58PM
Thanks. I have upgraded the system and homebrew channel is still alive and kicking. Internet channel works.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login