Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Safe updating.

Posted by TiLiMayor 
Safe updating.
January 14, 2011 07:30PM
I purchased a wii a while ago and I was told to don't update it since it would render your wii unfunctional, and I was like ok system menu 3.4, no updates, but I wanted to know why was it and did a little research and I found out about this homebrew scene and since my wii had Homebrew Channel installed I thought ok, I can run homebrew. But this wii came with some backups discs and the seller ran them directly from the disc channel. So at this point I dont really know it is safe for me to update my wii in order to have all those channels that doesn't come with the wii.
How do I tell if my wii was ever opened?
How do I tell if my wii have a modchip installed?
Is it safe to update a wii with a modchip?
How do I make my wii to be as legit as out of the box?
Re: Safe updating.
January 14, 2011 08:22PM
TiLiMayor
How do I tell if my wii was ever opened?
How do I tell if my wii have a modchip installed?
Is it safe to update a wii with a modchip?
How do I make my wii to be as legit as out of the box?

There is no real way of telling if your Wii was opened.

The only way to check if your Wii is chipped without opening it is to see if backups will run with unmodified IOS's. Run dop-Mii, and try go to the IOS install menu. If any IOS are version 65535 (or similar) it is probably not chipped.

It is safe to update a Wii that is chipped, and nothing else. Homebrew may cause your Wii to be impared during update, unless you have the latest Homebrew Channel and you update via dop-Mii

Whaa? Please rephrase your question

EDIT: Please tell us what channels your Wii came with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2011 08:24PM by metroid_maniac.
January 14, 2011 09:44PM

Whaa? Please rephrase your question

EDIT: Please tell us what channels your Wii came with.

My wii came with this channels:
Disc, Mii, Wii shop, wheather, news, photo, homebrew channel and some loader.

Rephrased question: What should I do to make the software of my wii to seem as out of the box? (regular system menu, no homebrew, no nothing)
January 14, 2011 10:13PM
You can use the anytitle deleter bushing's mod to delete the homebrew channel, etc. and shared2clean to get rid of other stuff. You also probably have REMOVED installed, which makes your backups load from disk channel. You can use dop-mii wiibrew edition to remove REMOVED by installing vanilla, nintendo IOS's.

Oh, and you probably don't have a modchip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2011 10:19PM by metroid_maniac.
December 18, 2011 11:44PM
I started using my wii again and wanted to fix all this pirate stuff the vendors put into my wii in order to update the system menu and play the new zelda, I wanted to clean up my wii..

So, using the format tool in the system menu, restarted my wii and to check if I could update the system menu, I put in a backup disc and the wii recognized it just as before, so my wii still had the chance to brick with the update..
Then I remembered the homebrew wiki and while setting up my wii for homebrew from scratch, I got the non-vulnerable IOS notice..

So now that apparently I cant run homebrew, how can I remove this failpack in order to update my console? btw, after formatting it is running 3.4U..
December 19, 2011 01:17AM
Use whatever exploit you have to run DOP-Mii and then install all the IOSes up to IOS80 (and if you want you can update to System Menu 4.3 with DOP-Mii as well but make sure IOS80 is installed first). If you don't update the System Menu and you want to stay on 3.4, BE SURE TO INSTALL IOS50 v4889.
December 19, 2011 01:23AM
May sound noobish but can I run it with the bannerbomb and just renaming it to boot.elf or .dol??
December 19, 2011 01:40AM
Yes that's exactly what you do
December 19, 2011 02:08AM
I ran a system check and almost all of the IOS were v65535, should I believe my wii isn't chipped?

and, which IOS do I use to install others?

edit: I was installing the IOSes just fine until IOS53 in which I got an error saying I needed to use an IOS with the fakesing (trucha) bug, I tried to uninstall it but another error appeared saying that it failed to get SU access, and that I should use and IOS with the NAND permissions patch applied. This also happened with IOS55, 56, 60 and 70, but all other IOSes from up to IOS80 installed just fine. So, how can I install this other IOSes I currently can't?

update: managed to run HackMii install HBC and BootMii, still can't update through dop-mii (it has the option to install the system menu up to 4.2)
Now when I run a system check, it freezes around checking IOS 28 and some code dump appears saying

update2: well, I installed the missing IOS with some patch that suddenly appeared when I entered dop-mii, after I installed bootmii as an IOS (cause it didn't let me install it as boot2) and I updated through the option that appears when inserting a new game and no brick happened so Im good, now Im running 4.3, but, I still have a few questions about the system..
It appeared that with the update the IOS around 200 my wii had installed got erased, the first time I ran dop-mii's system check It had 29 safe to test IOS, later when I had installed the IOS up to 80 got 34, but now it has 28, still, now when running an system check I continue getting the dump code error with the "Exception DSI Occurred" message..
Any recommended tools to finish cleaning my wii?
I want to install bootmii as boot2 to make it brick recoverable, but hackmii just let me install it as a IOS..

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2011 11:08PM by TiLiMayor.
December 20, 2011 12:21AM
If it only let you install bootmii as a IOS then you have a wii that can't have bootmii as boot2.
December 20, 2011 03:34AM
Then, what are my options to make my wii recoverable from a brick and finish cleaning it?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login