Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

sysmenu 3.4 forever

Posted by Apokrif 
sysmenu 3.4 forever
January 30, 2011 06:50AM
Guys,
Sorry, completely noob question.
If it’s answered already – could you just post a link, please?

I’m on vanilla 3.4U, planning to install HBC.
I want to keep sysmenu 3.4 and install IOS58 only.
If a game needs another IOS, is it possible to install the required IOS## only manually?
How do I find which one it wants?
I.e. is it possible to stay on sysmenu 3.4 forever using this approach?
Re: sysmenu 3.4 forever
January 30, 2011 08:07AM
Yes, if you use something like Wii Update File Extractor (WUFE) you can get the IOSes from the discs themselves and then install them with WadImport. You can stay on 3.4 and just update IOSes and such separately and manually.
January 30, 2011 01:10PM
Why on earth do you feel there is any benefit to being on 3.4? There is no downside to updating to 4.3. System Menu is completely irrelevant on ability to run homebrew. For some "homebrew", IOS is important, but System Menu is NEVER an issue.
January 30, 2011 02:17PM
dop-Mii is the ultimate way to manage your IOS. It lets you install them from Nintendo's update server, along with newer channels and system menus.
February 01, 2011 01:36AM
Guys,
Thanks a lot for prompt and helpful responses!

SifJar
Why on earth do you feel there is any benefit to being on 3.4? There is no downside to updating to 4.3. System Menu is completely irrelevant on ability to run homebrew. For some "homebrew", IOS is important, but System Menu is NEVER an issue.
Right, but honestly, I don’t see much benefit in updating to SM4.3, except I’ll have to update/install manually required IOSs, shopping channel and something else.
But that’s not a big deal, right?

I definitely loose ability to install / uninstall homebrew [relatively] easily…
Not that I’m going to do in regularly, but just in case.

Once more question:
I read before, I might need to patch new IOSs to reintroduce “trucha signing bug” again.
Not sure, if it’s prohibited topic to discuss or not.
Do I really need the patching for something useful or not?
February 01, 2011 03:12PM
You can easily update to version 4.3 once you have installed the Homebrew Channel and it will not be deleted. You do not need the Trucha signing bug for anything much anymore. Managing IOSs is pretty much unneeded if you just use homebrew for playing media, using emulators, etc.You can still uninstall the Homebrew Channel, bootmii and everything else on menu 4.3 without difficulty, but it you will need an exploit such as bathaxx to reinstall it.
February 02, 2011 12:57AM
metroid_maniac,
I think I have all my questions answered. :-)
Thank you
February 02, 2011 06:10PM
Well, HBC will not be deleted if it's the latest version. Older versions will be.
May 08, 2011 05:40PM
SifJar

Please correct me if I'm wrong:

Installing 4.3 via Dop-Mii has no downside

Installing via nintendo update installs a large number of stubs, installs a new boot 2 if you have an older system, and replaces a number of IOS's with versions that lack bugs.

If I want to keep the older boot2 and bootmii, I need to be able to install updates without using Nintendo's update system.

Right? That's my understanding.

With that said, I did upgrade (with Dop-Mii) to 4.1.
May 08, 2011 06:25PM
You can reinstall BootMii instantly after updating, boot2 version is not relevant to anything, and nothing needs IOS with bugs any more, thanks to HW_AHBPROT. All your arguments are void. THERE IS NO DOWNSIDE TO UPDATING OFFICIALLY TO 4.3. End of story.

Also, don't bump dead topics.
May 08, 2011 11:50PM
Sorry, I didn't know that this was "dead".

Now, I have a challenge for you. I had to downgrade system menu to 3.4 just now. Please tell me how to do this on 4.3:

I wanted to copy Mario Kart save data, as well as other "non copyable" save data.

I discovered that Gecko 1.9 is supposed to be able to do that -- IF you go to the rebooter options screen, and say "Remove Copy Flags", and then use Gecko's "reboot" option.

It turned out that this worked once I downgraded the system menu to 3.4. It did not work with a system menu of 4.2 or 4.1

(I'm used to forums where the rule is "Keep all discussion in one place", so you don't get 4 dozen threads on the same topic.)

nothing needs IOS with bugs any more, thanks to HW_AHBPROT.
I thought that fake signing was still useful/needed. No?
May 09, 2011 12:54AM
keybounce
I wanted to copy Mario Kart save data, as well as other "non copyable" save data.

I discovered that Gecko 1.9 is supposed to be able to do that -- IF you go to the rebooter options screen, and say "Remove Copy Flags", and then use Gecko's "reboot" option.
There's other ways to do this, such as using Savegame Manager MOD or Priiloader's System Menu hacks.

keybounce
It turned out that this worked once I downgraded the system menu to 3.4. It did not work with a system menu of 4.2 or 4.1
It can work on 4.0+ if you know how, but we can't discuss that here.

keybounce
(I'm used to forums where the rule is "Keep all discussion in one place", so you don't get 4 dozen threads on the same topic.)
If really depends on the topic, but on these forums I'd say most of us prefer new topics unless something is directly related to the content of another topic.

keybounce

nothing needs IOS with bugs any more, thanks to HW_AHBPROT.
I thought that fake signing was still useful/needed. No?
Nope. You can do everything fakesigning allowed you to do using AHBPROT. The problem is that most devs don't feel like updating their apps to support AHBPROT.

I hope this helps.
May 09, 2011 07:52PM
The reason it worked when you downgraded is because in the process you most likely installed a patched IOS or a "cIOS". These aren't supported here, but if you have one on ANY System Menu, what you described will work. As bg4545 said, there are also other ways to do it on newer System Menus. You did NOT "need" to downgrade, you foolishly chose to. I advise you to upgrade back to at least 4.2, or else if you ever install an update from a disc containing 4.0 or 4.1, your Wii will be PERMANENTLY and IRREPARABLY bricked.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login