Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Emulator Channels

Posted by SimpsonsJunkie 
Emulator Channels
March 15, 2011 05:42AM
I just reinstalled the HBC and noticed that you can now install a few emulators as channels. I see in the Nintendo play log that those are logged into the system whenever you access those channels, whereas any homebrew accessed thru the HBC does not get logged including those same emulators. Is there any reason why I shouldn't access these emulators thru these new channels? I can only install bootmii as an ios so I am very hesitant to access any homebrew channel that does not go thru the HBC for fear of screwing up the machine. Also, if you can only install bootmii as an ios, is there any benefit to it? Thanks in advance for any help.
Re: Emulator Channels
March 15, 2011 07:03AM
Bootmii installed as ios when only available is very very important. Well the nand backup is very important as it would allow your wiis nand to be reprogramming should you ever have a run of bad luck. Without boot2 bootmii, only nand programming can fix a full brick, and this can only be done with the nand keys. Bootmii ios in itself will never save your wii, but it provides the backup to have a programmer fix your wii should you muck it up. Keep bootmii ios, make a nand backup, don't muck up your wii, install priiloader, don't worry about running channels if you like that. If you do all of that, you should be fine. At worst, nand reprogramming cost about $40-60.
March 15, 2011 07:43AM
Thanks for the response Maui. I'll install Bootmii. I have never had any problems with any homebrew in the past besides the occasional code dump when using the browser. But I've also never had any channels installed besides the HBC and I've always loaded every app thru the HBC. The only HBC apps I really use are mplayer and a few emu games which Tantric so graciously created channels for. I guess what I'm getting at is: Is it as safe to load emulator channels as it is to load the emulators thru the HBC?
March 15, 2011 07:57AM
It is very safe, however your only risk is actually installing the channel, not running it. It is possible to install a channel with a bad banner and prevent the system menu from loading. Your best protection would be to install priiloader. Priiloader allows you to recover from such a situation.
Now installing priiloader is very good, and almost never fails. However, when installing priiloader, if it fails it can be very bad. So if you install priiloader 0.6, you really need to have network connection before installing, let the HBC get online before loading the installer. If you don't have a network connection, I suggest you install priiloader 0.4 or install priiloader 0.6 using ios36- which requires es-identify on that ios. You can install ios36-v1042 to get es identify on ios36 with dop-mii wiibrew edition, but that may not work on newer wiis. So if you have a newer wii, you should not get es identify on ios36 by installing ios36-v1042 as it may not work on a newer wii. Other methods of getting es identify are not supported by wiibrew.
If you plan to install channels and you don't have a wii that supports boot2 bootmii install, priiloader is really the only thing available to recover from any mishap should a channel install go south. Now if your installing known good channels, your pretty safe, but it is still good to have priiloader just in case.

BTW- to install priiloader 0.6 using ios36 if you have no network, simply delete the meta.xml file from the installer dir, or edit out the [no_ios_reload] flag in the meta.xml file. Priiloader is very stable, but there are a few hichups when installing without network using ABHPROT.
March 15, 2011 09:10AM
Mauifrog
It is very safe, however your only risk is actually installing the channel, not running it.
I already installed the emulator channels, just haven't used them.

Your best protection would be to install priiloader.
I'm reading up on it now, don't know that I need it. I only use mplayer( it's funny to me that a few programmers with some spare time came up with a better media player than any major company has), a few homebrew games (PieChart ftw) and play a few emu games through the HBC.

Now if your installing known good channels, your pretty safe
The emulator channels and the mplayer channel are the only homebrew channels I ever plan to have.

I was just nervous about running a homebrew app thru a channel. It's something I haven't done before and all the horror stories from mucked up wii's seem to be from 3rd party channels. It's probably only warez crap channels but I figured I'd get another opinion before running the channels. Again, Thanks for the help Maui.
March 15, 2011 07:25PM
mauifrog
I suggest you install priiloader 0.4 or install priiloader 0.6 using ios36
and what about my 0.7 BETA 1 :(
March 15, 2011 09:31PM
Is it up for dl. I will give it a try, I am told it fixes the install issue.
March 16, 2011 04:14PM
mauifrog
Is it up for dl. I will give it a try, I am told it fixes the install issue.
google will tell you if it is?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2011 07:39PM by dacotaco.
March 17, 2011 12:54AM
I don't think I need google, I can just go to your site, I am aware of its location. Forgive me if I missed its release, I don't exactly install it everyday. Regardless, I think I will probably stick to installing with ios36.
March 17, 2011 02:26AM
Ok, priiloader 0.7b 1 seems to be working well. I did at least 50 installs and 50 uninstalls, loading with ABHPROT without network. No crashes, no issues. So, if you like, I think 0.7b will be fine to install regardless of your setup.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login