Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help an Old Hacker Watch A Movie

Posted by Big_Al 
Help an Old Hacker Watch A Movie
March 26, 2011 10:13PM
Listen up young whippersnappers! Back in the late 80s, early 90s when I was hacking, cracking and phreaking, the good think about the underground communities was, if someone gave you an answer, they probably knew what they were doing. Hackers were generally knowledgeable and system architectures were easy compared to today. But these days, there are so many idiots, poseurs and runts with Web sites giving advice which is just repeated nonsense that it makes it hard to find answers. Information overload is an understatement! And worst of all, it's bad info! I guess GIGO applies to people now as well as computers. Anyway, I guess that's my roundabout way of saying THANK GOD I FOUND THIS FORUM. Seems like I finally found some people with brains. I need some help if anyone is willing to offer...

Never had any intention of using my Wii to play DVDs but...the Blu-Ray player in my bedroom just crapped out. I currently use the PS3 in the living room to play Blu-rays and DVDs but since it would be inconvenient to move it to the bedroom every time I want to watch a flick there, I figure it's easier to move the Wii from my living room to the bedroom permanently for the occasional late night DVD. Bottom line: I need a temporary DVD player so I'm...adjusting...my Wii.

Naturally, there is an issue.

I bought a used copy of Lego Star Wars at GameStop. Threw the Jodi crack and HackMii installer on an SD card. Installed the Homebrew channel and BootMii (FYI: I had to install as an IOS--I guess I have a "newer" machine even though it is a couple of years old). Then I returned the game and got my money back.

So...according to scouring the Internet for MPlayer install instructions, I need that prog and the cIOS installer. I have them both (cIOS installer and MPlayer) in the apps (lower case) folder on the root of my SD card. I tried to install cIOS but it won't run. Once I get past the graphical screen where I choose "load" and go into the MS-DOSsy-looking screen my controller won't interact with the Wii. Can't navigate the menus, can't click A to load.

So I'm thinking this might make sense...I think. It won't let me install a new IOS since BootMii is in there as an IOS. Is that right?

Anyway, figured I was screwed so I went back to the Homebrew channel and clicked on MPlayer just to see what happened. It seemed to start up OK. I threw a movie in. Hit Open/DVD Video/Play DVD.

But...it's only playing the 2-second long screenshot of the Production company then jumping back to the DVD-Video menu.

I've tried just about every menu option: "Play DVD" gives me the 2-second logo clip, "Title 1": same thing, "Title 5" plays one of the previews then defaults back to the menu screen, "Play DVD (libdvdnav)" actually plays the disc from the start through the previews which are intercut by that 2-second Production Company logo, but then it gets to the DVD menu (like if you're watching a regular DVD) and I have no way to navigate to the "Play Movie" button. If I try "Chapter..." It just freezes and I have to unplug it. And eventually if I screw around long enough it gives me:

Exception (DSI) Occurred
blah, blah, blah...
Stack Dump
blah, blah, blah...
Code Dump
blah, blah, blah... (I think I read somewhere that this error might have to do with the SD card)

So, here are my questions:

Is my MPlayer not working because it's not running off of the IOS that was supposed to be put in by the cIOS installer?

If so, how can I get cIOS installer to put a different IOS in there--in other words why isn't THAT PROGRAM working?

On the other hand, let's say MPlayer should be running okay with BootMii running as the IOS, then does anyone have any Idea why it's not working, or how I can work around?

Thanks.
Re: Help an Old Hacker Watch A Movie
March 26, 2011 10:38PM
cIOS are not needed anymore.
Use IOS58 installer, re-install the Homebrew Channel, and use WiiMC to play your DVDs. You will not need to run the Jodi exploit to re-install homebrew channel, just download the Hackmii Installer and place boot.elf in a new subdirectory of the /apps folder. You will then be able to run the Hackmii Installer from the Homebrew Channel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2011 10:40PM by metroid_maniac.
March 26, 2011 11:10PM
You gotta be shittin' me. You mean I could have avoided 24 hours of non-sense? Can I just use the same homebrew I'm running now or do I have to uninstall/re-install?

UPDATE: That was easy. I just deleted the cIOS and MPlayer off of the card, put WiiMC new install on. Logged into HBC again, loaded the program and...done. It works great. Didn't have to uninstall or reinstall anything. Movies look great and it's got a handy-dandy progress bar, volume slider, the works!

I knew you guys were the shit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2011 12:14AM by Big_Al.
March 27, 2011 10:11AM
IOS58 is just for USB2 support. If you ever want USB2 support in WiiMC, you will need to use IOS58 installer to install IOS58 (Surprised?) and then re-install the Homebrew Channel by the method I stated above.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login