Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Getting ready for Zelda Skyward Sword

Posted by alptkz 
Getting ready for Zelda Skyward Sword
November 08, 2011 10:06AM
Hi everyone

I was out of the homebrew scene for a long time, mainly because my Wii was gathering dust from no use. But the new Zelda is coming ! I'm going to buy the game but I want to make sure that disc updates won't ruin my hacks.

I'm still on the 4.0E firmware, but I have the Homebrew Channel 1.0.8 and the IOS61 v19.26. Does that mean I'm all good to play Zelda launched with Gecko or will I have to update to 4.3 ?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2011 10:07AM by alptkz.
Re: Getting ready for Zelda Skyward Sword
November 08, 2011 06:43PM
It should work with Gecko OS provided you have the correct IOS installed. If you don't, Gecko OS will prompt you to install it, but probably won't be able to. If this happens, use DOP-Mii:WiiBrew Edition to install the latest revision of whichever IOS Gecko OS tells you, and it will then work via Gecko OS.
November 08, 2011 06:52PM
Thanks that's very helpful. By the way do you know I'd you get lower performances when playing a game with Gecko ? I seem to remember longer loadin times. If that's the case I might consider simply doing the update since all the hacks work with 4.3.
November 08, 2011 07:22PM
No, there is zero difference between launching a game with Gecko or with System Menu. Once the game is actually loaded, there is literally the exact same code running (with the exception of some Gecko OS hooks for Ocarina cheats, but those run in free spots of memory).

However, updating to 4.3 will mean that you won't have to load it through Gecko every time. (Personally, my Wii is on 4.3. Less hassle with new games that way)
November 08, 2011 08:50PM
I've followed your advice and updated to 4.3E. Everything works as good and it'll be less trouble as you said. Thanks for all the good tips.
November 08, 2011 09:36PM
No problem. Note that there may well be another update on the disc of Skyward Sword (and released online around the time of it's release), in which case, boot the game with Gecko OS until information is released about the new update, and an updated HBC is released for it (if there is an update, this will probably happen within a few weeks, especially with the update being required for such a potentially popular game)
November 08, 2011 09:40PM
Yes I'll be careful. Thanks again :)
November 13, 2011 12:49PM
I've been playing the game Since Friday (my local store got it early) and it's so good :) There is indeed a system update on it so I'm using Gecko. Any word if the update is safe yet ?
November 13, 2011 01:57PM
If you're on 4.3, there should be no update on the disc. Did you update through official means (i.e. System Update in the Wii Settings menu)? Or have you done anything related to IOS since updating?

If not, chances are there are some channels on the disc (Nintendo has of late been including useless versions of some of the downloadable channels e.g. Mii Contest Channel, Everybody Votes Channel etc. that basically just display the banner and then tell you to download the channel from the Shop - if you don't have the channels on your Wii, you will be prompted for an update which in reality will only install those channels). No one else has reported an update on the disc, so it should be safe to accept the update. I'm fairly certain there is no new System Menu or IOS on it.
November 13, 2011 05:51PM
Ok it's probably the channels then since I am on 4.3

Thanks for the info.
November 18, 2011 09:51AM
Yes I'll be careful to
November 20, 2011 07:12PM
Does anyone know if Skyward sword affects homebrew or the mods in any way? I really don't want this game to crash my Wii or anything. I'm up to date with the homebrew ch and system 4.3u. Will it destroy my system?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2011 07:27PM by Kioki.
November 20, 2011 08:01PM
No it does not. If it did, it would be posted here.
November 21, 2011 09:08AM
Can someone please confirm whether or not SS is safe to play without Gecko?
November 21, 2011 09:13AM
It's safe.
November 21, 2011 09:23AM
Thanks, I kept searching on Google but I couldn't find a direct, simple answer anywhere else.
November 21, 2011 07:58PM
How about right above your post where I said it was safe?
December 08, 2011 12:12AM
Hello.
I'm new at this, and I want to know if playing an original version of skyward sword will be dangerous on my wii.It has a modchip and the version is 4.0, should I update or would that brick It or something?. It has no homebrew or anything.
December 08, 2011 05:50PM
it shouldn't brick, but the modchip may no longer function. however, we are not a modchip support forum and do not support stuff that enables piracy so we can't really help you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login