Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Have 2 wiis, neither can play DVDs, but each have different error messages

Posted by billybob2thejoe 
Ok so I have 2 wiis, one being an old white wii and the other being a new blue wii. I knew the new wiis couldnt play DVDs because of the new drive, so I bought a cheap used white wii to use as a gamecube and dvd player.

Anyway, I hacked the white wii and eventually installed mplayer ce to test out some DVDs. It never loaded any DVDs despite it saying that it was being mounted. I decided to try out Wii MC instead, and still had no luck. It told me my DVD was unsupported, but it never said my Wii wasn't able to play DVDs.

I looked up my wii's serial number on wiidrives.com but I didn't really make anything of it besides it having a 50% chance of having the newer drive. Later, I came across a homebrew app called Syschecker and it told me my drive was from 2008.

So to recap:
- used white wii
- backwards compatible
- can't play DVDs
- drive from 2008

And now for more text... I hacked my new blue wii and installed Wii MC just to see what would happen when I use the DVD player. I pressed the DVD icon and it told me "DVD playback is not supported on this wii" which is very different from the message I got on my white wii which only stated the DVD was unsupported. On the white wii, when I press the DVD player without a DVD in it tells me a DVD isn't in the drive and if I want to retry.

So to recap again...:
- new white wii
- not backwards compatible
- can't play DVDs and is told it won't be able to at all (expected)
- newer drive

Anyway if anyone is willing to read all of this and help, then thanks.
Here's some info on how I hacked both the wiis:

- Letterbomb for 4.3U
- Hackmii installer that was packaged with letterbomb
- boot1 bootmii, not boot2

Thanks
Re: Have 2 wiis, neither can play DVDs, but each have different error messages
March 04, 2012 08:28PM
What DVDs are you using? Have you tried both retail DVD movies and burnt DVD-Rs? (And definitely not +R - the Wii drive can't read those) If you've only tried one, try the other as well.
I've tried about 4 different retail and one burned DVD but they all say the DVD is unsupported. Thanks for replying.
Re: Have 2 wiis, neither can play DVDs, but each have different error messages
March 05, 2012 10:07PM
That is very odd, I'm sorry but I have no idea what the problem is :(
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login