Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is it possible to backup from my old Wii to my new one?

Posted by Emarrodz 
Is it possible to backup from my old Wii to my new one?
May 27, 2012 07:29PM
Hi

I successfully hacked my old Wii in order to backup everyting on it as it is very likely for it to stop working (a lot of constant read errors, failed boot ups, SD card errors, freezing, etc.), as this is a launch Wii which has been working extra hours I think it is quite normal but as I have a lot of time invested on it I decided to backup the NAND memory and all the save game files. All of this worked just fine

Now I got a brand new Wii (not so much as it is a Mario Anniversary one) and my question is if I can put back the NAND memory from my old one to the new one. Will it work as the old one? Will I be able to keep playing all the VC/Wiiware titles I bought? Will I be able to keep using the eshop as there are lot of titles I still want to buy? will the online part of my games be still playable?

As you can see, all I want to do is kind of "brain transplant" from my old Wii to the new one just to ensure that, if the old one stops working, I won't lose my data. Please note I have invested a lot in several fixes for the old one, this is why I decided it was cheaper to get a new one that to keep fixing every little detail

Thanks in advance!
Re: Is it possible to backup from my old Wii to my new one?
May 27, 2012 07:36PM
You can use betwiin to convert a NAND dump from one wii to work with another wii, but I'm not sure if VC and WW titles will work perfectly or not. Same for save games.

However, you will not be able to install BootMii/boot2 on the new Wii. Only BootMii/IOS. You can restore a NAND dump with BootMii/IOS, but it is a more "dangerous" procedure because if something goes wrong, you don't have BootMii to fall back on.

With BootMii/boot2, if something goes wrong while restoring a NAND dump, you can just restart and try again. With BootMii/IOS, it's sort of a "one shot" deal. If it doesn't work out good, you will have to pay someone to reprogram your NAND (unless you happen to own a NAND reprogrammer [e.g. Infectus] and have the knowledge/skills required to use it).

For savegames, you can use a tool like Savegame Manager GX to backup all your saves from one Wii and install them onto the other. But that won't work for VC and WW games, just for your savegames. (This does NOT require restoring a NAND dump, so you can easily do this without BootMii/boot2.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login