Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Biggest cause of bricking?

Posted by Kadin 
Biggest cause of bricking?
February 01, 2009 12:46AM
Total newb here and before I attempt to install the channel, etc., I'd like to know what the biggest contributor is to have a system brick on you. As long as I know what I need to avoid, it will help me as well as following step by step. Just like everyone else, I don't want to turn my Wii into a paperweight.

Thanks!
Re: Biggest cause of bricking?
February 01, 2009 01:16AM
Installing the HBC will absolutely, 100% certainly, not brick you. Acting like a moron when you use applications to permanantly install and unistall stuff from IOS and the system menu probably will brick you. However, you shouldn't need to mess with that stuff so you'll be fine. Remember though, before you use any app read through its readme very carefully. Doing so may one day save your wii.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2009 01:17AM by Arikado.
February 01, 2009 01:28AM
Thanks for the response. Well I read everything I could and got my SD card and game in order. I started to do everything but as the loader or whatever it is that initially loads the channel was running, it came up saying "You have Wii System menu version 385 (v24 USA) installed. The Homebrew Channel has only been tested with Wii System menu version 354 (v22) and below. Press Accept to continue at your own risk...."

I chose to Cancel. Do I need to downgrade to another version? My system just came back from repair a couple weeks back...fyi.

Thanks.
February 01, 2009 01:29AM
What firmware do you have?
February 01, 2009 01:35AM
February 01, 2009 01:37AM
Use beta 2 of the twilight hack.
February 01, 2009 01:38AM
I did. But that message made it appear that it hasn't been tested on the latest Menu version that I have. Is it possible that I've got an even more updated version that's not compatible?
February 01, 2009 01:40AM
Its possible but (I think) extremely unlikely. If it were me, I would go ahead and do it anyway. But you may want to hold tight for a second while I ask around about your case.
February 01, 2009 01:41AM
Press accept. The latest homebrew channel was released before the latest system menu.
February 01, 2009 01:43AM
Do what muzer says.
February 01, 2009 01:45AM
Ok will do. I have faith as you all know better than I. Thanks!
February 01, 2009 01:46AM
Good luck :) Let us know what happens.
February 01, 2009 01:49AM
Arikado
Good luck :) Let us know what happens.
homebrew channel alive and kicking... now to figure out where to go from here.

Thanks a bunch!
February 01, 2009 01:53AM
Kadin
now to figure out where to go from here.
Put apps on your SD card. I made the apps Wii Shooting Gallery and WiiBreaker. They're really easy to set up. I also reccomend the Homebrew Browser as it will allow you to download and install the latest, safest homebrew from the internet.
February 01, 2009 01:54AM
Cool. Nice crowd here it would appear. Glad to see so much help. I'll look into those for sure. Thanks!
February 01, 2009 01:56AM
No problem :) If you have any other problems and/or questions be sure to let us know.
February 01, 2009 02:07AM
There is one other thing I'd like to ask about if I may. I was looking around to see if there's like a general 'What not to do' or 'Be Aware of:' type of articles. Basically up til now I've always had my WiiConnect24 turned on and updated whenever I was asked to or inserted a game that required an update.

Now that I have this HBC installed, I'm going to assume I need to steer clear from doing this. Lots of questions I could also ask but I'm wondering if there's a good page I can spend an hour just reading about the 'do's and dont's' when using the HBC and applications.

Thanks again!
February 01, 2009 03:58AM
I dont know of any good articles, but as for WC24: Worst case scenario is that Nintendo updates you without warning and you lose all of your homebrew stuff. However, thats very unlikely to ever happen.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login