Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bootmii idea

Posted by wes11ph 
Bootmii idea
November 24, 2009 09:28AM
why not make a bootmii (boot2) that run like the official boot2. i think this can be done.

[edit]
a boot2 replacement that doesn't need the boot1 signing bug.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2009 09:35AM by wes11ph.
Re: Bootmii idea
November 24, 2009 09:29AM
That's what bootmii already is....

Maybe I don't understand what you're trying to say. :/
November 24, 2009 09:45AM
i edited the question now...
November 24, 2009 05:29PM
because that'd be illegal
November 24, 2009 09:32PM
I'm sorry but you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

If we could make BootMii be able to install itself as boot2 on Wiis with newer versions of boot1, we would have done that already. Nintendo has security keys which we lack, making it impossible to 'do it like Nintendo does'.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2009 09:34PM by Arikado.
November 25, 2009 01:28AM
I think he is talking about using Ninty's signature which is illegal. (correct?)
November 25, 2009 12:22PM
TopGun96
I think he is talking about using Ninty's signature which is illegal. (correct?)

yes this what i'm talking about.

this is possible right.

hacking is always be hacking, illegal on the true form right?
why not make it? it will help many wii owners.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2009 12:28PM by wes11ph.
November 25, 2009 01:39PM
First things first: No, hacking on the Wii is not illegal unless it is done for piracy. The homebrew channel, it's apps (on WiiBrew), DVDX, and BootMii are all perfectly legal.

And again, we lack security keys which Nintendo has so we can't (in your words) 'use their signature'.
November 25, 2009 07:27PM
But using their signature to true sign (as opposed to fakesign) stuff would be illegal afaik. Someone in the PSP scene told me this in reference to PSP, but its the same concept. It is illegal to use their actual "signature" to sign stuff, just as it is illegal to forge someone's signature in real life.
November 25, 2009 09:12PM
But isn't the "signature" computer generated? If so, it would be invalid to be legally protected.
November 25, 2009 09:57PM
I dunno, I was told that by a fairly knowledgeable guy in the PSP scene, I thought it odd at first too, but I guess it kinda makes sense...Although if it is computer generated, does that mean it is different to regular laws?
November 27, 2009 05:26AM
whatever you say about hacking. it's still illegal, that's why video game consoles today have been made to be updatable. for them to tighten the consoles security and to make hackers have a hard time poking the internal software...so what's the reason behind creating application for wii? emulators? running backups? applications?for fame?.. for whatever reason you have, ninty will still make a new security to prevent hackers from coding and running their little apps on the wii.don't you see that? for them what we're doing is illegal...

so. the question is: what "key" is "missing?" to make the "illegal bootmii" idea?
November 27, 2009 06:42AM
Alright, that nightwish fan guy just made me lose some of my patience with his idiotic topic, and your last comment just made me lose the last of it. So now, let's sit down, retard, and review the facts.

The modification of a console is not illegal, but the unlawful use of copyrighted material is (playing backups, VC injects, etc.). Therefore, there is NOTHING, I repeat NOTING. Once again, to make sure it gets through to your walnut sized brain, NOTHING illegal about what we discuss here. There is a security key that Nintendo uses to digitally sign their code. We found the trucha bug, which is a method of fakesigning software for the Wii, such as Bootmii. If we were to use Nintendo's digital signature, it would be a form of fraud, thereby making it illegal. As it stands, we have a version of Bootmii which uses the Trucha bug to run, due to fakesigning, nothing illegal about that.

Once more for good measure, you fucking half-witted retard. THERE IS NOTHING ILLEGAL ABOUT HACKING YOUR CONSOLE, ONLY PLAYING BACKUPS AND THINGS OF THAT NATURE

Got the idea yet, asshat?
November 27, 2009 08:32AM
cactusjack901
Alright, that nightwish fan guy just made me lose some of my patience with his idiotic topic, and your last comment just made me lose the last of it. So now, let's sit down, retard, and review the facts.

The modification of a console is not illegal, but the unlawful use of copyrighted material is (playing backups, VC injects, etc.). Therefore, there is NOTHING, I repeat NOTING. Once again, to make sure it gets through to your walnut sized brain, NOTHING illegal about what we discuss here. There is a security key that Nintendo uses to digitally sign their code. We found the trucha bug, which is a method of fakesigning software for the Wii, such as Bootmii. If we were to use Nintendo's digital signature, it would be a form of fraud, thereby making it illegal. As it stands, we have a version of Bootmii which uses the Trucha bug to run, due to fakesigning, nothing illegal about that.

Once more for good measure, you fucking half-witted retard. THERE IS NOTHING ILLEGAL ABOUT HACKING YOUR CONSOLE, ONLY PLAYING BACKUPS AND THINGS OF THAT NATURE

Got the idea yet, asshat?

whatever. L-)
just calm down. peace.

Thinking is not illegal.
oh, i forgot this is a legal forum site, with legal team. sorry
who the hell nightwish fan?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2009 09:20AM by wes11ph.
November 27, 2009 02:44PM
From the moment it was first posted I felt this was a truly pointless topic. Now, I'm convinced. I'm generally not one to lock topics in this forum, but we keep going around and around in circles. So....
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.