Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Request: Linerider

Posted by WaxyPumpkin72 
Request: Linerider
June 02, 2009 10:06PM
This would be awesome!! I have no experience in coding (i'd like to learn xD, if someone could direct me where to go, I'd appreciate it!), but would it be very time consuming/hard? I know this is selfish lol but i think that it would be cool. Who else agrees?!?! :D

For those of you who don't know what this is, go try it out here!!

Edit: If you don't have Microsoft Silverlight installed, install it on that page, or just play the beta2 version here!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2009 10:41PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
Re: Request: Linerider
June 02, 2009 11:40PM
Glad to hear you want to code.

I recently leared C++ and it just took me 3 or 4 weeks or someting (I am still no professional, but I can make some, not too crappy, self-made stuff running on my Wii now.)

I learned it from this site: [newdata.box.sk] (recommended by Arikado).

However, I have coding experience from before through Java (an 8-week course at school) and some Game Maker crap I used before I knew C and Java existed, which, both, made things alot easier for me!

In any case, I am convinced that if you spend 1 hour a day the next 21 days, reading from the site I posted the link to, you can start making Wii homebrew programs!

If you have any questions regarding coding (or anything else for that matter) I would be nothing but glad to help!

The questions I cannot answer I'm sure someone else can. (Like Arikado, who seem to know everything about everything.)
June 02, 2009 11:45PM
profetylen
(Like Arikado, who seem to know everything about everything.)

Lol!

Thanks, I might try it out!!

Now, ahem, what do you think of my linerider idea?!? :D
June 03, 2009 12:11AM
Thanks for the kind words profetlyn :) Unfortunately, I'm actually not nearly as good most of the coders on this site. (Just more social :P - JK, while I'm talking they're working)

Anyways, waxypumpkin72, isn't there already a (official) line rider game out for Wii?
June 03, 2009 12:16AM
Hmm, you mean the mentally challenged one thats a complete money-making scheme thats not at all like the original? Yes, i know about that one. :P
June 03, 2009 12:19AM
Oh, alright then.

The first thing to do to port a game is to get a hold of its source code. (In other words - see if the game is open source)
June 03, 2009 12:21AM
Okey-dokey. How would i go about doing that?
June 03, 2009 12:24AM
See if you can download the source anywhere on the official site its hosted on. If not, consider writing an email to the developers (or site admin) and asking them.
June 03, 2009 11:40PM
Hm, the game seems to be written in Microsoft Silverlight, which I don't really know what it is, but according to wikipedia it seems to be a porgram similar to Flash. However, as far as I can understand, it is not written in C which makes it very very hard to port because you'll need to translate every Silverlight command to a C command.

The game looks nice though. I've seen they've made a DS version. If you got a DS. You can buy it ;)
June 03, 2009 11:43PM
Phooey. :(

Wait, there's a beta2 version, and Microsoft silverlight isn't needed to play that one. (see my link at the top)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2009 08:19PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
June 12, 2009 06:18AM
is there like an age for learning the coding stuff couse i am pretty young (under 16)
and i dunno if that is something that is common for younger people to comprehend?)
June 12, 2009 06:21AM
It looks kinda hard to me, and i'm under 15!! :P profetylen gave a link at the top of the page to a site that teaches you how to learn C++. You could try that.
June 12, 2009 04:24PM
kydo
is there like an age for learning the coding stuff couse i am pretty young (under 16)
and i dunno if that is something that is common for younger people to comprehend?)
I started at 9, so have fun :D
June 12, 2009 07:39PM
Arikado
kydo
I started at 9, so have fun :D

The quicker you start, the better, I'd say!
June 30, 2009 08:55PM
I believe it was made with flash originally.

Anyways, the game came out as an actual wii game, officially. It sucks :/
July 10, 2009 12:11AM
The origional was in flash

I started BASIC when i was 16 so its not hard,I wouldn't suggest starting with C i guess you could.. Normally VB or HTML is a better place to start at a younger age because it allows for more learning since the syntax is much simpler then C/C++/C#, then move on to something more difficult.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login