Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mega Merged: Internet Browser Request Thread

Posted by Arikado 
Re: new web browser and others
June 22, 2009 11:20PM
daniel_c_w
Should we create "one browser thread to tab them all"?
I've been considering it for awhile. But some are way more full of fail than others which contain useful discussion so I've been a bit hesitant. If there is another one, I most likely will and then sticky.
June 23, 2009 07:26PM
scanff
I think the first step would be a basic html 4.1 web browser.

In various areas of the forum this has been talked about but never done. Personally I'd just love to get going on this but I'm already loaded with the current projects I'm doing. I guess if anyone else is interested we could set up a project for a homebrew web browser.

I might be interested in helping with the html part. In WiiConnect, I'm going to have an email client, and I really don't want it to be limited to plain text messages.
June 23, 2009 09:17PM
I would really appreciate if someone could at least do some startup on this and add flash because I need a free internet browser for my wii. If you guys could do this, I bet you'd be heroes to the entire homebrew community.
June 23, 2009 09:22PM
Why don't we use the source of Firefox as base? So we don't have to create our own engine; that would save many hours of coding. Mostly porting things.
Source Code Firefox
June 23, 2009 09:38PM
that's a good idea. I'd like to beta test it (just make sure it won't screw up my wii). Also, for flash support, you might want to try an open source version of flash player called Gnash.

Check it out here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2009 09:42PM by Hman360.
June 23, 2009 11:44PM
Gnash only looks like a movie player to me, nothing more?

Porting the whole monster, that is firefox is propably more complex than porting webkit and creating an UI for it.
But to be honest, I have no idea how hardwired rendering is in both kits.
June 24, 2009 12:41AM
daniel_c_w
"Gnash is capable of reading up to SWF v9 files and opcodes, but primarily supports SWF v7, with better SWF v8 and v9 support under heavy development."
[www.gnu.org]

daniel_c_w
Porting the whole monster, that is firefox is propably more complex than porting webkit and creating an UI for it.
But to be honest, I have no idea how hardwired rendering is in both kits.
Firefox uses Gecko engine, Safari/Chrome uses Webkit engine. I'd like to see they port Firefox, sure not all the parts but most of them. At least the Gecko engine. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2009 12:46AM by Darkness.
June 24, 2009 12:44AM
Darkness
Why don't we use the source of Firefox as base? So we don't have to create our own engine; that would save many hours of coding. Mostly porting things.
Source Code Firefox

The problem with firefox is it's dependent on a ton of libs that are not yet available for Wii. Also have you ever looked at the source? I would be easier to start from scratch. Yes if we wanted to do a feature it would be nice to peek at firefox for ideas.

As for flash Gnash is good, if I remember there's another open source flash player too.
June 24, 2009 03:01AM
Darkness
daniel_c_w
"Gnash is capable of reading up to SWF v9 files and opcodes, but primarily supports SWF v7, with better SWF v8 and v9 support under heavy development."
[www.gnu.org]

Thanks, I am glad to see there is more to it than I thought.
June 24, 2009 07:49AM
If this is actually going to go somewhere, I would like to help develop it. Firefox would be good for help, but starting from a simpler, open-source browser seems like the way to go. If anyone else is interested in actually developing this, maybe we could start a small team.
June 24, 2009 08:35PM
jsmaster
If this is actually going to go somewhere, I would like to help develop it. Firefox would be good for help, but starting from a simpler, open-source browser seems like the way to go. If anyone else is interested in actually developing this, maybe we could start a small team.

If you set up a google SVN then I'll try and contribute when I have time.
June 24, 2009 11:14PM
scanff
jsmaster

If you set up a google SVN then I'll try and contribute when I have time.

http://code.google.com/p/wiibrowse/

If you give me your google username, I'll add you to the project owners.
June 24, 2009 11:35PM
just my email address ... scanff@yahoo.com
June 25, 2009 03:28AM
hi, will this new project be able to download things off internet to SD card or usb drive?
Thanks
you guys are awesome
June 25, 2009 03:49AM
Gamewizard71
hi, will this new project be able to download things off internet to SD card or usb drive?
Thanks
you guys are awesome
I think they should tackle getting it working first....
June 25, 2009 03:57AM
bg4545
Gamewizard71
Thanks
you guys are awesome
I think they should tackle getting it working first....

Actually that would be the first thing to get working (at least the SD card part).
June 25, 2009 06:15PM
im not sure if they're giving the source code for seamonkey, but it is pretty simple. it is also developed by mozilla, its engine could be gecko, im not sure :/
June 25, 2009 08:10PM
Nayru
im not sure if they're giving the source code for seamonkey, but it is pretty simple. it is also developed by mozilla, its engine could be gecko, im not sure :/

What would make seamonkey simpler? Seamonkey is a web browser, email client, IRC client, and a newsgroup client. For the web browser part it uses the same rendering engine as Firefox (Gecko). It would be the exact same thing as porting firefox, as we would only port the rendering engine of another browser, and use it with our own GUI.
June 25, 2009 08:19PM
scanff
As for flash Gnash is good, if I remember there's another open source flash player too.

Well, there is another. The two are Gnash and Swfdec.
June 26, 2009 08:24PM
Firefox it's open-source community is allot bigger! I think we should use Gecko, more support I think. This is just an idea, so... You know...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login