Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

App to stream video from PC

Posted by SifJar 
App to stream video from PC
August 01, 2009 08:39PM
Could some one make an app that would display whatever is displayed on a computer on the wii? It wouldn't have to be VNC, just a server running on the PC sending video to Wii, which shows it on your tv. Then if you have a wireless keyboard and mouse, you can just use it like a computer, only displaying on the Wii. Mainly for watching videos and stuff on TV that have been downloaded, for example with iPlayer (my connection is quite crap so can't really manage streaming directly very well, I have to download for it to be watchable, so I cant use iPlayer through internet channel), and other stuff. And it would mean you could play PC games on your TV. I know you can buy stuff to display your computer on the TV, but I don't own any of that stuff, and I do own a Wii. So what do you think? Is it possible? Anybody willing to make it happen?
Re: App to stream video from PC
August 01, 2009 09:15PM
I did start a VNC type project called Win2Wii (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/User:Scanff/Win2Wii) I never finished it as I went on to other things.

Streaming a game or video from you're PC to the Wii would not be practical there's far too much data to make it real time. Even with a minimum resolution set on your PC 24bit data at 640x480 would be 921600 bytes per frame * 30fps = 27648000bytes a sec or ~ 26MB a sec. Sure you could compress this down a little but it still would be a ton of data.
August 01, 2009 10:03PM
So it's not gonna happen? Aw.
August 03, 2009 05:36PM
well there is a way to somewhat do it i was looking for the same thing and i found this

but it requires the internet channel, so for about five buck you can control your PC with your wii

gamerstyle.com
August 03, 2009 05:45PM
Yeah, but that isnt streaming. It just takes a still image and refreshes every time you click. So for that to work for video, i'd have to press A 24 times a second, and it would have to refresh in time for the next click, meaning i would need lightning fast internet, not the 20-30 kbps i get.
August 03, 2009 05:47PM
SifJar
meaning i would need lightning fast internet, not the 20-30 kbps i get.
you have dial up?
August 03, 2009 06:10PM
Nope. But i'm really far from the exchange and bt reckon thats a good enough excuse to give us crap speed and charge us for broadband. And with crappy donwload allowance too. We really should get a cheaper ISP...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2009 06:10PM by SifJar.
August 03, 2009 06:30PM
my network has 54 mbps, so i relay don't have to worry bout that,
still the closest thing un-less scanff work on that vnc porgram
August 03, 2009 08:55PM
aujakev

Yes it would work like vnc but not vnc. Basically it would be a custom protocol. I did have this working pretty well but got frustrated with the inputs (mote and keyboard) not working as they should not the remote PC.
August 03, 2009 10:08PM
aujakev

yeah, your LOCAL network. There is (almost) no way your broadband is that speed. Unless you're in the middle of a city with fibre optic broadband paying a fortune for it. And thats what that goes over. Not local network.
August 04, 2009 12:00AM
Unless you streamed through LAN and not WAN, 54 wont do it, I run Wireless-N, but I'm sure the wii only sees it as 54Mbps, because of its receiver, and I get 8 Meg down and wouldn't try to stream from my PC to the Wii. (especially through VNC, which is slow even on 1Gbps Local LAN). Do those of us that use FTP for the wii have slow load times?
August 04, 2009 04:40AM
well its my friends wifi, (he lets me use it) and he has some t-1 network or something... but it only allows 54 mbps.
August 04, 2009 10:50AM
So, streaming video?

VLC on the computer. Flash on the Internet Channel.
August 04, 2009 11:15AM
Huh? What do you mean?
August 05, 2009 02:18AM
aujakev
well its my friends wifi, (he lets me use it) and he has some t-1 network or something... but it only allows 54 mbps.
54 is going to be your bottle neck, you can have t-3 coming in but 54 is still gonna be your bottle neck and I think t-1's max speed is 1.5Mbps, plus over head plus VNC throughput. It would make more since to have wiiTV
August 05, 2009 06:58PM
I ran some tests last night using the compression techniques in Win2Wii. Average data rate was about 0.5Mbits/sec for doing things like web browsing and word processing. Watching video or playing a game got about 15Mbits/sec.

There are some problems with the PC keeping up at 30fps, I'm doing several techniques to compress the 640x480 data down which seem to eat up the cpu (was using a dc 1.6 laptop). When I get a chance I'll see if I can speed them up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login