New Boot1 Bootmii Soulution?
August 14, 2009 08:37PM
I was thinking that it could be possible to use bootmii as something before the system menu just like preloader for those people with newer wii's.
It would reside before the system menu (maybe even before preloader for those that want both) but would have the benefits of the boot2 app.
This could also allow for wiimote support.

I am not saying this would be a replacement of boot2 but a solution for new wii's. Thanks for you consideration.
Re: New Boot1 Bootmii Soulution?
August 14, 2009 11:32PM
As nice as it would be to also have Bootmii where Preloader resides, the problem is that if you do a NAND restore with it anywhere but boot2, it would have to overwrite itself, which...well... logic tells us that just wouldn't work
August 15, 2009 03:01AM
Oh yeah.... Duh! What a stupid mistake on my part. Sorry. That is why bootmii doesn't make a copy of boot2! Silly me :)
August 15, 2009 03:55AM
My idea, would be if BootMii took note of the blocks it is stored in, and flags them so that it knows not to overwrite those blocks when doing a restore. It works in theory, but hey, I'm not a coder so I can't say how easily that could be done, if it could be done at all.
August 15, 2009 04:08AM
I think it could be done because bootmii currently tells itself not to make a copy of boot2. So your idea is a good one.
August 15, 2009 06:31AM
TopGun96
I think it could be done because bootmii currently tells itself not to make a copy of boot2. So your idea is a good one.

As much as it is a good idea, it equally isn't. The boot2 resides on a different spot than the rest of the NAND FS. The big problem with my idea is that bootmii has to adapt to the situation. Since it is on the main partition of the NAND FS, it won't be in the same spot on the NAND for every person, so Bootmii has to figure out if it is on boot2 or NAND FS, if it is on NAND FS, figure out where it is on there, then adapt the NAND dump to say "OH HEY, I'M HERE, DON'T TOUCH THESE BLOCKS" and then RestoreMii has to see this as well. Another issue is that the block might not only contain Bootmii, so when you restore the NAND dump, it may also keep some remnant data from the block in which Bootmii sits. Now you may be thinking that Bootmii could just look for a few empty blocks and install itself there. Not everybody has empty blocks, and Bootmii can't just erase a few blocks to install itself on (except in boot2 =p ) because then it runs the risk of erasing some critical system files.

It just isn't feasible to install bootmii as IOS and have it perform a NAND Restore
August 15, 2009 02:26PM
Oh yeah I must not be thinking straight thanks for pointing that out. :)
August 15, 2009 05:59PM
BootMii restore uption would:
1: not care, it it overwrites itself, because it resides in memory, when it is working.
2: it only overwrites blocks, that have changed (and that includes boot2, if it has changed)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login