Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SDHC support for non-SDHC games?

Posted by profetylen 
SDHC support for non-SDHC games?
September 06, 2009 02:46PM
What would need to be changed to accompolish SDHC support in a non-SDHC game?
Re: SDHC support for non-SDHC games?
September 06, 2009 02:49PM
I think all that's needed is for it to be re-compiled. This can be done by anyone if the app is open source. otherwise, the author of the app needs to.
September 06, 2009 02:53PM
Yes, just recompiling under the latest libogc will add sdhc support, but some apps wont compile under latest libogc without modification.
September 06, 2009 04:29PM
Yes I know all of that, but I was reffering to an actual wii game not a homebrew game. Sorry for the unclearity.
September 06, 2009 04:44PM
then you need to get in touch with the developer :-)
September 06, 2009 04:50PM
There is no way to add sdhc support to an already existing game, without the publisher releasing a new version of the game.
September 06, 2009 06:17PM
Wait, so games like Brawl cant write (save) to SDHC cards?
September 06, 2009 06:33PM
Do you know where the SDHC code is located. Is it in the .dol or is it handled by an IOS or where is it?

SifJar
There is no way to add sdhc support to an already existing game, without the publisher releasing a new version of the game.

There's always a way. If for example the SDHC code is located in the .dol, a very skilled person could make ocarina cheat codes to modify the .dol so it supports SDHC (to my understanding).

@Arikado: I have no idea, I'm on 3.2, so I don't know. I would be really strange, though, if SDHC saving is only available for newer games.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2009 06:36PM by profetylen.
September 06, 2009 06:36PM
true. Either it goes through IOS (Whch I am 90% certain it does) and would have SDHC with 4.0+. Otherwise an Ocarina code (a very long one) would be able to add SDHC.
September 06, 2009 06:44PM
metroid_maniac
true. Either it goes through IOS (Which I am 90% certain it does) and would have SDHC with 4.0+. Otherwise an Ocarina code (a very long one) would be able to add SDHC.

If it goes through IOS. Why hasn't Nintendo just updated that IOS to make it SDHC supportive?

edit: maybe I misunderstood you. Do games have SDHC compability if you have system menu 4.0+?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2009 06:47PM by profetylen.
September 06, 2009 06:56PM
I'm almost certain bushing or someone like that said games made before SDHC being added to System Menu weren't compatible, and never would be. But I could be wrong. As of now, I'm pretty sure games such as Brawl cannot use SDHC cards for saving stages and screenshots.
September 06, 2009 08:22PM
I can say that games do not work with SDHC on 4.1
September 06, 2009 08:51PM
TopGun96
I can say that games do not work with SDHC on 4.1

Ok!

Then, the SDHC code must be handled by the .dol or am I wrong?
September 06, 2009 08:54PM
Yup. Hence how The HBC added SDHC
September 06, 2009 10:56PM
Yes, SDHC code must be compiled into game/app, hence homebrew compiled under latest libogc has SDHC support. However, it'd probably be VERY hard to add SDHC support with an Ocarina code. My advice would be this: get the .dol of a game with SDHC support, and one of a game with only SD support. Disassemble both with IDA Pro (You'll have to pay for it to get the version which works with .dol files). Find the sections in both which handle SD loading, then somehow write an Ocarina code to patch the SD game with the code from the SDHC supporting game. But I don't know how you'd recongnize which part does SD loading, or how you'd write the Ocarina code. It'd probably be a long process, which would require done for every game you want to add SDHC support to.
September 07, 2009 05:05PM
The code would probably be so long that Ocarina would choke on it. :-)
September 07, 2009 07:40PM
Yeah, quite possibly.
September 09, 2009 07:00PM
metroid_maniac
The code would probably be so long that Ocarina would choke on it. :-)

Why? Which are the SD functions? Save file? Open file? What more? If the functions would be declared inline it shouldn't be that hard to make the codes if you just knew where the funcitons are located or am I missing something here?
September 09, 2009 07:07PM
Well, SDHC is managed in a completely different way to SD. Look it up on Wikipedia. It is a lot more Software based than Hardware based.
September 09, 2009 07:32PM
metroid_maniac
Well, SDHC is managed in a completely different way to SD. Look it up on Wikipedia. It is a lot more Software based than Hardware based.

I've look it up. What I mean is, once you know where the SD functions are, they shouldn't be too hard to rewrite to SDHC functions even though they are quite complicated since the they have already been written by others.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login