Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Requesting a 32X Emulator for Wii.

Posted by Little_Goten 
Requesting a 32X Emulator for Wii.
September 11, 2009 11:01PM
I know that there isn't much support for one. And I know that it wasn't a popular platform.

But I'd like to ask that someone out there code one. Please oblige my request, I've always wanted to play its games and get as close to the original experience as possible (I have no money for both a Genesis and a 32X). If the Wii can't handle it, I'll understand, but if someone out there is willing, then can you do it? I don't have anything to compensate you with, though. :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2009 11:03PM by Little_Goten.
Re: Requesting a 32X Emulator for Wii.
September 12, 2009 01:53AM
Doesn't ekeekes Genesis emulator handle 32X games?
September 12, 2009 02:16AM
Unfortunately not. I already tried (Unless there's something I'm doing wrong).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2009 02:18AM by Little_Goten.
October 22, 2009 05:59AM
There's two very similarly named emulators in which one does support the 32x along with sega cd i believe, and the other doesnt. Eke-ekes emulator port is of the one that doesnt have the additional systems support.
October 22, 2009 06:30PM
I think Picodrive is open source and supports 32X and CD, so one could potentially port it over to wii
October 22, 2009 07:32PM
Well I was thinking more along the lines of Gens32. Emulator Zone lists three emulators with Gens in the name. Gens Plus!, Gens (I believe this is Eke-ekes port), and the aformentioned Gens32. So it's fairly easy to get one or the other mixed up.
October 23, 2009 10:18AM

So it's fairly easy to get one or the other mixed up.

no, it is not "easy"

Some clarifications:

Genesis Plus != Gens, Genesis Plus is Genesis emulator only, never had 32x or Sega Cd support before.

Gens32 or Gens!+ = old Gens core + some quite discutable "improvments" & new "features"

Gens 32x and SegaCD cores are written in X86 asm (computer CPU machine language), so it's not straight portable like other emus out there (that's why the only Gens port are on Xbox)

Picodrive is optimized for ARM processor based consoles (mostly handhelds) but is somehow portable. It does not support 32x (yet) but supports Sega CD: interestingly, the SegaCD code has been translated from Gens core (rewritten from X86 asm to C++), the same could probably done with 32x code.

That should resume everything and explain why it's not such easy as "mixing things up" or simply porting code like with other emus (also consider that 32x emulation would need heavy optimization to run fullspeed on the Wii).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2009 10:26AM by ekeeke.
October 23, 2009 05:54PM
^^I was only referencing the confusion similar names can cause. You named your port Genesis plus! or w/e for wii. Then to add confusion people are looking at which pc emulator is your base port lol. Anyways it's all good.
October 23, 2009 07:10PM
yeah, I know about the confusion people sometime make, I was just trying to clear up things for once ^^

Genesis Plus is the original name of the emulator : [cgfm2.emuviews.com]

The Wii/GCN port is named Genesis Plus GX, GX being a reference to the graphic accelerator hardware used in those consoles ..

Still, the main point remains that adding Sega-CD or 32x support is not such an easy task and would require to be entirely done from scratch (or quite).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2009 07:10PM by ekeeke.
August 26, 2013 07:58AM
Not to revive a dead forum topic BUT...

I know of a PC emulator able to play Sega Genesis, Game Gear, 32x AND SegaCD emulator called Kega Fusion. I am not suggesting people port Fusion to the Wii, plenty of forum topics already gotten into "This is not possible, compiled with a different coding language, blah blah blah"...

BUT if you can check out the source code for Kega Fusion, found the section(s) to play 32x roms, and devise/translate those sections to work in a new update of Genesis Plus, that would be awesome idea... If possible anyway. Seeing as though N64 and SegaCD games are workable on a Wii due to awesome programmers working so hard, I see no real reason why 32x games are impossible to code in. Challenging, yes/ Impossible, very doubtful. :)
August 27, 2013 01:17PM
No, it is actually really impossible because Kega Fusion is not open source, you guess that you are obviously not the first person with that idea.

And as said before on that topic, even if you had the sourcecode, it does not mean you can use it because it would be written in assembly language, which is not very readable or at least useless when it comes to copy infos from it to another platform.

When I say that all the needed infos are already availablr and that 32x emulation would still need to be added from scratch for the most part (like it was done with Mega CD emulation), you can trust me, there is no "miraculous" easier or more challenging solution...

That's said, Picodrive, which was recently added to Retroarch (Android version), has 32x support now, so it would be your best chance to play 32x games in a near future if someone build it for the Wii version. I am curious how fast this will run before I make any attempt to add it too in Genesis Plus GX, i don't have much hope for fullspeed however, Picodrive being specifically optimized for ARM platforms (Android, IOS), not PowerPC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login