Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tetris on a 3D plane?

Posted by Sonicdude41 
Tetris on a 3D plane?
November 19, 2009 12:05AM
Yes, while there are Tetris clones available, I would LOVE to see one of them implement the idea of Tetris on a 3D cylindrical plane.

It would look similar to the picture below, except instead of using the Tetris Attack format, it would encompass Tetris's original gameplay.

Re: Tetris on a 3D plane?
November 19, 2009 12:51AM
There was Tetrisphere on the n64
November 19, 2009 01:21AM
This should be relatively simple to implement.

Model:
- Take your normal 2D Tetris (we could "borrow" one of the existing clones).
- Modify the game logic such that the left and right borders allow wrapping.
- Instead of allowing the falling piece to move left and right, we allow the whole screen to shift left and right (think of this as the cylinder rotating left and right -- the piece will fall along the center axis of the cylinder).

View:
- Add fancy 3D graphics (construct pieces from cubes -- doesn't get any easier than that).
- Project the cubes into a cylinder.

I'm interested in working on this project collaboratively.
November 19, 2009 02:02AM
While I don't know enough programming to do all of that, it would be nice to see this implemented, would it not?

The only reason I've thought of this, actually, is that Tetris has been the same for quite some time (20 years?). While there have been games that implement Tetris in 3D all over the internet, they don't have the same concept that I'm thinking of for 3D. You have the right idea, calvin.

It's nice to see that someone has taken interest into this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2009 11:44PM by Sonicdude41.
December 05, 2009 08:32AM
Hey there Sonicdude41. Dunno if you're still following this thread, but here's a pre-alpha prototype:
[dl.dropbox.com]

And here's a video:
[www.youtube.com]

Btw, does the Sonic in your name stand for Sonic the Hedgehog? I sure hope so, 'cause that guy's awesome.
December 05, 2009 10:52PM
Hi calvinss4,

I thought I'd make an icon for your app, because the one you have is slightly lacking in quality. :P
Here it is. :)

Sorry, I couldn't get it to scale to the correct size. :/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2009 11:24PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
December 06, 2009 01:48AM
slightly lacking in quality
Now that was a gentle euphemism :)

Thanks for the sexy icon!

Btw, you must be the very first person to download this. Thanks for trying it out.
December 06, 2009 01:52AM
calvinss4
slightly lacking in quality
Now that was a gentle euphemism :)

Thanks for the sexy icon!

Btw, you must be the very first person to download this. Thanks for trying it out.
Haha, you're welcome. :)
December 06, 2009 02:21AM
I like that it looks nice I'm getting it.
December 06, 2009 05:22PM
calvinss4
Hey there Sonicdude41. Dunno if you're still following this thread, but here's a pre-alpha prototype:
[dl.dropbox.com]

And here's a video:
[www.youtube.com]

Btw, does the Sonic in your name stand for Sonic the Hedgehog? I sure hope so, 'cause that guy's awesome.

Yes, I'm still following the thread. You have no idea how happy you have just made me. =D

Also, yes, that's what the Sonic in my user name stands for. I agree that he is a cool guy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login