Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Word Proccessing

Posted by Crisco 
Word Proccessing
December 04, 2009 04:03AM
Could somebody make a word proccessor for the wii? I would if I knew how to program, but I think it would be a handy app. Just connect a USB keyboard and type.
Re: Word Proccessing
December 04, 2009 04:51AM
Thats actually not a bad idea...
December 04, 2009 10:24PM
You can probably already do this through Linux, but I dont know of any standalone app to do it. Could be handy for some though.
December 09, 2009 02:50PM
Crisco
Could somebody make a word proccessor for the wii? I would if I knew how to program, but I think it would be a handy app. Just connect a USB keyboard and type.

WaxyPumpkin72
Thats actually not a bad idea...

Would it save them as .doc file so that it can run on ms word???
December 10, 2009 02:25AM
That's what I was thinking, I wanted a word proccessor that allows you to do simple formatting like BOLD italic and underline and maybe like 5 different font types.
December 10, 2009 09:44AM
Crisco
That's what I was thinking, I wanted a word proccessor that allows you to do simple formatting like BOLD italic and underline and maybe like 5 different font types.

It could use any font, in wiiexplorer you type in the font path (something like SD://config/fonts) and any font files in there that are detected can be used and if it cant be detected the apps default font will be used.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2009 02:46PM by aidanharris.
December 23, 2009 03:13PM
SifJar
You can probably already do this through Linux, but I dont know of any standalone app to do it. Could be handy for some though.

There are 2 word processors for Linux I can think of: Abiword, OpenOffice.org and Google Docs; but thats online, we could try porting Abiword.
December 23, 2009 04:50PM
there are far more word processors for linux than that. and i highly doubt either of those would run well on the wii. there are far more basic ones like Vi or something which would be much better suited.
December 24, 2009 07:36AM
SifJar
there are far more word processors for linux than that. and i highly doubt either of those would run well on the wii. there are far more basic ones like Vi or something which would be much better suited.

Those were just the only ones I could think of at the moment, although VI, VIM or nano, mahebe even emacs could be nice!
December 26, 2009 02:20AM
There is already TopEdit, but it can't do much. it's a bit like simpletext for macOS9
January 05, 2010 12:10PM
I've created some icons pm me if yould like to see them. also i think it should use rtf format not .doc format to keep it simple!
January 06, 2010 12:33AM
i think you guys are putting the horse before the buggy. why are you worried about making a MS office type deal already? first there needs to be a basic notepad.exe version. first worry about getting text on the screen, getting input from a usb keyboard to control the text, and basic copy/cut/paste functions.

once that is working, you can worry about what font is on the screen and saving your stuff to all these different file formats and icons? why are there even icons made for a program which hasnt even had 1 line of code written for it (besides the code which will be taken from other projects and used in this one)?
January 06, 2010 02:09AM
I'm trying to learn C++ to code this myself but I'm having a hard time. It's really complicated...
January 08, 2010 09:51AM
Crisco
I'm trying to learn C++ to code this myself but I'm having a hard time. It's really complicated...

You don't say! I've tried and failed myself! Any way here's a plan of what I think you should do:

First of all I think this should be based on word pad to keep things simple either that or it could be based on a couple of open source word processors online. But I also think the colours used and the background used should be customizable. I think it should have a simple menu (image would be menu.png) and on it would be an image saying start word processor (start.png) and check for updates (update.png). It would use a hexadecimal what ever its called code for the colours used too.
This is what I think we should do in this order:
Before we do anything we need to create one of those google code accounts all the new apps have one of them!
Exchange emails if we are not going to use forum.wiibrew.org to contact eachother via pm.
NOW FOR THE ACTUAL CODING...
Find a way to open existing txt and rtf documents (NOT .doc files that ms word uses because then things could get complicated) since this has never been done before. Also you may want to release this as a separate app because it could be useful to people but you don’t want to get caught up in it designing menus e.t.c.
Get code from text ed/text ed mod/top edit and see how it can be altered to do what you want it to do, this should be easier than starting fresh.
Create skin.xml or theme.xml document and incorporate it into the app to put where you want the buttons (I got the idea from dmp and how it uses an xml document for the skin and uses x & y co-ordinates or something like that for where the buttons should be placed) and create a colour scheme e.g FFFFFF FFFFFF 000000 (before for when the cursor isn’t on it and after for when the cursor is on it or highliting it if thats what you’ld like to think of it as. You get the idea anyway.
After doing all that you need to create the boot.dol and the meta.xml then put it together in a .zip folder and release a beta to see how it can be improved or if it really is perfect just release it!
Everyone that wants to get involved I’ve created buttons pm me if you would like to see them and they’re not perfect and will need to be edited with some “professional” software (I only used MS Word).
Also lastly I was wondering if it would be possible to print via usb and since the wii uses Bluetooth to connect with the remote/s I was wondering if it could be possible to print like that too! And what about printing over the internet with a wifi enabled printer? Is any of that possible???
Any way to sum up if your interested pm me and other people that are interested and only post updates and major break throughs on the forum (takes up a lot of space other and it’s hard to read the important things).
It’s also worth mentioning I don’t think this would work with .doc files to complicated since with MS Word can use graphs and tables which is why I am now suggesting .rtf editor/creator.
January 08, 2010 02:58PM
link to download buttons
January 08, 2010 07:35PM
Did you read anything giantpune just said?
January 11, 2010 09:44AM
lol i know what the people want! Even if i cant code! "THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2010 02:57PM by aidanharris.
January 12, 2010 12:36AM
aidanharris
"THE CUSTOMER IS ALLWAYS RIGHT!"
No, the admin is always right. I appreciate your enthusiasm but please stay on topic. Thanks :)
January 12, 2010 09:31AM
Arikado
aidanharris
"THE CUSTOMER IS ALLWAYS RIGHT!"
No, the admin is always right. I appreciate your enthusiasm but please stay on topic. Thanks :)

LOL :P
January 12, 2010 10:56AM
aidanharris
lol i know what the people want! Even if i cant code! "THE CUSTOMER IS ALLWAYS RIGHT!"

Turns out you're not right. Always only has one "L". And whose customer are you exactly? Anyway, that's kinda off-topic...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login