Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SDHC Handling in IOS

Posted by cactusjack901 
SDHC Handling in IOS
March 14, 2010 01:03AM
I was just wondering about how the Wii handles SDHC cards. Its been able to since 4.0, which obviously means that IOS has the SDHC handling code in it. When it comes to a game like Rock Band 2 however, it cannot handle SDHC cards. I was just wondering if games grab their SD/SDHC reading capacity from IOS, or if its in game code.

Just to illustrate, since I can't quite verbalize what I'm thinking terribly well. Think of it like this. I make a cIOS of IOS57 where the only change is the SD module is changed into an SDHC module. Would this thereby enable games running on IOS57 (such as Rock Band 2), that read data off SD cards, able to read SDHC cards?
Re: SDHC Handling in IOS
March 14, 2010 05:59AM
It's in the SDK things are built with, which is why newer games and newer menus have it and older one's don't.
March 14, 2010 06:43AM
Arikado
It's in the SDK things are built with, which is why newer games and newer menus have it and older one's don't.

Alright then, I was just wondering, I would've been interested in trying to make some sort of custom IOS with the SDHC module for RawkSD use. Oh well, onto my next half baked idea
March 14, 2010 02:01PM
Still, since the SD code is in the SDK it should look pretty much the same in every game (please correct me if I'm wrong), so if one could just localize that code, one should be able to write a fairly general gecko patch to patch the old SD code to SDHC code provided we have some free memory to hook into.

However, SDHC is much more software based than regular SD, so I'd imagine it is is a fairly advanced task to write SDHC handling in assembly.
March 14, 2010 02:36PM
profetylen
Still, since the SD code is in the SDK it should look pretty much the same in every game (please correct me if I'm wrong), so if one could just localize that code, one should be able to write a fairly general gecko patch to patch the old SD code to SDHC code provided we have some free memory to hook into.

However, SDHC is much more software based than regular SD, so I'd imagine it is is a fairly advanced task to write SDHC handling in assembly.

Also worthy of note when it comes to the fact that SDHC being so much more heavy on the software side, is that we'd need more memory than we'd probably have free when it comes to certain games, to hook into.
March 24, 2010 11:14PM
cactusjack901
profetylen

Also worthy of note when it comes to the fact that SDHC being so much more heavy on the software side, is that we'd need more memory than we'd probably have free when it comes to certain games, to hook into.

Is it really so heavy on the software side? One would just have to switch byte-addressing to sector-addressing, if I've got things right and that should be too hard / too large, should it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2010 11:15PM by profetylen.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login