Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WII torrent client with usb support

Posted by guile 
WII torrent client with usb support
March 17, 2010 01:33AM
Would it be really cool to be able to leave your wii running downloading torrents; to say a usb flash or hdd?

It would be a genius app. I know not much about coding but would do as much as I could to help!
Re: WII torrent client with usb support
March 17, 2010 02:16AM
Use the search function next time:
[forum.wiibrew.org]
March 17, 2010 02:21AM
I doubt that something like this would be supported on wiibrew; it would make it easier for pirates to download their piracy related things.
March 17, 2010 03:06AM
Well you can use http and that has rapidshare.

I prefer to download a torrented version of a legal file over standard http, as it is faster and continually checks the checksums.

A homebrew app similar to this : hardware
March 18, 2010 02:44AM
WaxyPumpkin72
I doubt that something like this would be supported on wiibrew; it would make it easier for pirates to download their piracy related things.
In the words of a popular video game character, "OBJECTION!".

1)Torrents are a more convenient form and faster form of download
2)Just because you torrent something doesn't mean its illegal. I torrented all the 26c3 videos.
3)It's more convenient to torrent from any computer than the Wii - thus this does not make piracy easier. This also makes the app sort of pointless, but I guess anyone who made it would be doing it for the challenge more so than for actually using it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2010 02:49AM by Arikado.
March 18, 2010 02:56AM
It would be rather convenient.
March 18, 2010 06:10AM
Arikado
Just because you torrent something doesn't mean its illegal.
I never said it was illegal.
March 18, 2010 04:27PM
guile

No it wouldn't

Steps to use Wii Torrent Client
1) Go into same room as Wii
2) Turn on Wii
3) Start up HBC
4) Start up Wii Torrent Client
5) Use

Now, since you're checking a torrent client/using a torrent client, chances are, you're at your computer anyway

Steps to using torrent client on a PC
1) Open uTorrent

Steps to using a torrent client on a Mac
1) Open Transmission

Now, which sounds more convenient to you?
March 18, 2010 06:53PM
Please let me explain my trail of thought.

My desktop pcs and laptop are fairly loud, this ambient noise gets too much.

The Wii. Is almost silent so I could leave it on 247. It would be cool to have a http access chanel. Then o.could add torrents.from my phone.

This response was written on my HTC so I apologise TOT any mistakes made in advance.
March 18, 2010 08:44PM
Well then you're in a niche market. Which pretty much means, unless you're gonna write it, you're boned
March 18, 2010 09:17PM
So this application/appliance is in a "NiƩce" market. Torrent router.

Is anybody actually up for coding this application? or is it just me?
March 18, 2010 10:41PM
As I said before, anyone who did this would really be doing it for the challenge rather than personal convenience.

My best advice to make this happen: Find open source examples of torrent usage and keep bugging people. Or, ya know, do it yourself.
March 18, 2010 11:13PM
well i might just code it.. i dont care it will be popular brew
March 18, 2010 11:14PM
but anyhelp plz jump on board
March 18, 2010 11:19PM
cactusjack901
guile

No it wouldn't

2) Turn on Wii
3) Start up HBC
5) Use

Now, since you're checking a torrent client/using a torrent client, chances are, you're at your computer anyway

1) Open uTorrent

1) Open Transmission

The real pc procedure

1) boot windoze 7

2) twenty minutes later your computer has stabalised

3) seek torrent

4) start utorrent and wait

5) Let it use your cpu whilst you could browse the net

6)Use
March 18, 2010 11:57PM
Quit complaining and do it.
March 19, 2010 07:30AM
guile
cactusjack901
guile

No it wouldn't

2) Turn on Wii
3) Start up HBC
5) Use

1) Open uTorrent

1) Open Transmission

The real pc procedure

1) boot windoze 7

2) twenty minutes later your computer has stabalised

3) seek torrent

4) start utorrent and wait

5) Let it use your cpu whilst you could browse the net

6)Use

Well, now you just aggravated me, so, I'm going to break this down step by step

1) Who said we are all using Windows 7? I sure as hell am not
2) 20 minutes?! I'm not sure you're qualified to efficiently use a computer, let along write code on one
3) Well you would have to do this anyway, would you not?
4) Wait for what? uTorrent takes all of 5 seconds to load
5) Yep, at least your computer can multitask, unlike the Wii. You also specified uTorrent, which is an incredibly light Torrent client, so it barely takes any CPU cycles. In fact, let's see how much memory uTorrent is taking up for me right now, I've been running it nonstop for about 3 days. Hmm... Just over 1 MB. Beyond that, let's see my total CPU usage... 3%, on an intel Atom, with 1 GB of ram. Not exactly the best specs around, but it's a netbook, what more could I really ask for.
6) Use what? You completely forgot to include any sort of description whatsoever as to what we're going to be using here. Is it what we just torrented? The torrent client itself? The computer? You completely forgot to add this information.

So now, let me just get this straight. You, apparently intend to write a torrent client, or at least a way to access a WebUI, for the Wii. Your reasoning for this is that your computer is too loud, and, judging by the steps you listed, takes 20 minutes to get into a working state. This makes me unsure of if you should even be running on Windows 7, which I'm going to guess you are. Logically, one would run their system on the OS that runs the best on it, like how I run Windows XP on my Netbook, because it runs beautifully on here, but I don't run Windows 7 for the specific reason that it doesn't perform as well. You also, apparently can't handle the concept of running uTorrent in the background, and letting it take up (minimal) CPU cycles, from what I gather, that's too taxing on your machine. This boggles my mind, since uTorrent is designed to be as lightweight as can be.

So rather than run a torrent client in the most efficient way possible, you'd rather run it on a system that can't even multitask, because your computer's ambient noise is too f'ing loud. Well boo-f'ing-hoo. Try living next to a major highway like me. Computer noise is nothing.
March 22, 2010 05:21AM
Hello all.
Don't want to proke further heat to the debate, I just want to say that I'd quite like a .torrent client, I started the other thread mentioned at the top of the page:
[forum.wiibrew.org]
Apparently
tueidj
The wii's networking stack kinda sucks. Not sure if the problem is in libogc or IOS but I ran into all sorts of problems when I tried to use more than 6 connections at once (this was after doubling the network heap size in libogc). marcan's idea of using linux would be the best bet since (I believe) it accesses the hardware directly.
I tried Linux but it made my brain hurt and I had to have a lie down. It's a bit labour intensive and I hit a wall. Not literally. But a homebrew torrent clientwould get used, lots of people have hard drives on their wii and many of those have a wireless home network with internet access and pretty much all of those will have some kind of pc. But it requires that a person of some expertise re-writes something that sounds a bit low level, if it's at all possible.
March 22, 2010 05:51AM
spacepimp
pretty much all of those will have some kind of pc

There's my main problem with this. There's no real use for the program, because, as you stated, almost, if not, all, of those people, have a PC, which they can just as easily use for a Wii torrent client. I just can't see a real reason to use the Wii for my torrenting. I just can't see it.
March 22, 2010 11:49AM
spacepimp
Hello all.
Don't want to proke further heat to the debate, I just want to say that I'd quite like a .torrent client, I started the other thread mentioned at the top of the page:
[forum.wiibrew.org]
Apparently
tueidj
The wii's networking stack kinda sucks. Not sure if the problem is in libogc or IOS but I ran into all sorts of problems when I tried to use more than 6 connections at once (this was after doubling the network heap size in libogc). marcan's idea of using linux would be the best bet since (I believe) it accesses the hardware directly.
I tried Linux but it made my brain hurt and I had to have a lie down. It's a bit labour intensive and I hit a wall. Not literally. But a homebrew torrent clientwould get used, lots of people have hard drives on their wii and many of those have a wireless home network with internet access and pretty much all of those will have some kind of pc. But it requires that a person of some expertise re-writes something that sounds a bit low level, if it's at all possible.
Awesome. I'm sure people will appreciate your hard work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login