Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Disc Browser

Posted by SifJar 
Disc Browser
April 21, 2010 02:36PM
I was wondering how hard it would be for someone to write an app which allows you to browse the contents of the currently inserted disc, and perhaps dump particular files. Or at the very least allow users to re-create the directory setup of the disc on their SD card (i.e. if there was a directory "\snd\stream\us", make a snd dir on the SD, then a stream dir inside, and a us dir inside that). The idea is for use with Riivolution, which as I understand it requires you to re-create the original game's directory structure on the SD card. I'm guessing it may not be possible without warez cIOS, but I figured I'd ask in case it could be done with non-warez patched IOS (i.e. no backup functionality).
Re: Disc Browser
April 21, 2010 09:48PM
SifJar
I was wondering how hard it would be for someone to write an app which allows you to browse the contents of the currently inserted disc, and perhaps dump particular files. Or at the very least allow users to re-create the directory setup of the disc on their SD card (i.e. if there was a directory "\snd\stream\us", make a snd dir on the SD, then a stream dir inside, and a us dir inside that). The idea is for use with Riivolution, which as I understand it requires you to re-create the original game's directory structure on the SD card. I'm guessing it may not be possible without warez cIOS, but I figured I'd ask in case it could be done with non-warez patched IOS (i.e. no backup functionality).

I'm gonna guess it could be done with a trucha bugged IOS... In theory anyway. I, too, would be interested in this app.
April 21, 2010 10:37PM
ive got a version of wiixplorer that already can browser discs and extract the files from it to a USB HDD or sd card. the only thing missing from that would be keeping the folder tree from the disc. it uses IOS202. im not sure if this has been added to the SVN yet, but you should check there. with only 2 or 3 lines of code, you can make it keep the original folder structure without making you create each folder yourself.
April 21, 2010 11:25PM
That's pretty sweet. So after the modification you mentioned, you'd just browse the disc, find the file you want, dump it and it'd automatically make the correct folder setup on your SD card? Would it be possible to have the folders setup inside a folder on the SD card instead of on the root? eg for SSBB you may have a folder SSBB on SD card root, and have the dumped directory structure and files inside that folder?
April 21, 2010 11:52PM
Well... If you could send me a .dol for that modded WiiXplorer I'd be amazingly grateful. I'm working on a Riivolution XML for Mario Kart Wii, and I need certain files from my disc, and rather than rip the whole thing, just a few files would be easier
April 22, 2010 01:53AM
its a test version dimok sent me to test something else out. it just happens that it extracts files. did you look at the wiixplorer svn?

EDIT>>
just tested it myself. there is a dol compiled by the buildbot at the svn. i installed IOS202 and started this dol. it is able to display all the different partitions and files from SSBB. the folder "1" is the game partition with all the fun stuff in it.

from there, i can press "+" -> copy a file or folder
go to the root of my USB drive, or any other folder in it
press "+" - > paste
it will copy all the files and keep the correct folder structure while using good ole USB2.0 and also supports dumping to NTFS & FAT.

BAM. close the topic, its a request for something which already exists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2010 02:16AM by giantpune.
April 23, 2010 08:33PM
Thank you for the information, that's very helpful.
April 24, 2010 09:41AM
Why has no one mentioned FTPii yet? It's still the easiest way to grab files off of a disc.
April 24, 2010 02:26PM
FTPii maxes out at like 700kBs. wiixplorer maxes out around 5mBs for me. thats the difference between spending 2 hours to dump a game or 15 minutes.
April 24, 2010 04:39PM
Sure, but he said he just wanted to browse the disc and dump particular files/folders, not the whole thing :P
April 24, 2010 07:05PM
But with FTPii, you have to use a computer. With WiiXplore, you can copy direct to the SD card on the Wii. I know you'll still have to use a computer to replace the files for Riivolution purposes, but i think its easier to dump the files via wii then use computer than turn on wii, load app, turn on pc, ftp into wii and copy files, etc.
April 25, 2010 04:15AM
FTPii also requires the Patchmii core to be installed, which I still can't figure out how to do
April 25, 2010 02:17PM
Crisco
FTPii also requires the Patchmii core to be installed, which I still can't figure out how to do

Run old (i.e. pre-3.4) DVDx installer, it has the option to install it. I think you'll need trucha bug in IOS36.
April 25, 2010 04:18PM
SifJar
Crisco

Run old (i.e. pre-3.4) DVDx installer, it has the option to install it. I think you'll need trucha bug in IOS36.

Although the old DVDx installer uses PatchMii Core to perform a PatchMii install of DVDx, it is unable to install PatchMii Core. If you want to install PatchMii Core, you must use this. It may allow you to choose which IOS to run on, like the old DVDx installer did; however, it deffinitely requires the trucha bug in the IOS that it uses. Also, you can not have PatchMii Core and Bootmii/IOS installed at the same time.
May 01, 2010 03:30AM
aww, oh well I'll just use FTPii to transfer data to sd cards...
May 01, 2010 02:09PM
jbc007
SifJar
Crisco

Although the old DVDx installer uses PatchMii Core to perform a PatchMii install of DVDx, it is unable to install PatchMii Core. If you want to install PatchMii Core, you must use this. It may allow you to choose which IOS to run on, like the old DVDx installer did; however, it deffinitely requires the trucha bug in the IOS that it uses. Also, you can not have PatchMii Core and Bootmii/IOS installed at the same time.

Not strictly speaking true. With a small modification to the PatchMii_Core source, it can install to a different slot. Later, I will try to make a modified version which will install to a different slot.

Of course, FTPii will also need modified to work with this modified PatchMii_Core, but that should probably be fairly easy too, and I'll try to do that later too.
May 01, 2010 04:46PM
You would? :D thanks :D
May 01, 2010 06:32PM
I'll try. Seems my devkitPro is messed up again (after having got it working again last night)...Hopefully I'll be able to get it working. From my inspection of patchmii-core's source, it should be incredibly easy (changing one line, helpfully commented to show you what to change). Not so sure about FTPii's source though, from my quick glance, I couldn't see where its IOS reloading code is, so there could be a small issue there.

EDIT: I've had a look at some stuff, and think maybe you won't even need to have a modified FTPii, you'll just need to install DVDx to the IOS installed by the modified patchmii-core. You will need trucha bug in IOS36, and you will need to run the modified patchmii-core installer, then the 3.3 DVDx installer, advanced mode, install to the IOS I'll tell you later if I get patchmii-core to compile, then it should hopefully work with FTPii. You may need to uninstall DVDx if you currently have it before doing this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2010 06:41PM by SifJar.
May 02, 2010 03:55AM
With a small modification FTPii could be modified to not require a hacked IOS at all to browse a disc. >.>
May 02, 2010 01:32PM
AerialX
With a small modification FTPii could be modified to not require a hacked IOS at all to browse a disc. >.>

Could the same be done for WiiXplorer? Also, why has no-one done this and submitted a patch to the devs?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login