Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help me with finishing a port of Hexen to the Wii

Posted by Arikado 
Re: Help me with finishing a port of Hexen to the Wii
August 27, 2010 12:50AM
Got a lot of requests about hd texture. The engine I used doesn't support them and afaik the engines that do all use OpenGL to render them which the Wii does not support. In short: It would be really difficult (if not verging on impossible) to do it. I'm personally not going to do it - sorry.
August 28, 2010 02:36AM
Maybe add keyboards as a controller option? The game natively takes advantage of keyboards, and it would alleviate problems people have with adjusting to limited buttons that would require button combinations to do actions in game that normally would only require one button on the keyboard to pull off. This could be added to your Heretic port as well.
August 28, 2010 02:53AM
nightwishfan1
Maybe add keyboards as a controller option? The game natively takes advantage of keyboards, and it would alleviate problems people have with adjusting to limited buttons that would require button combinations to do actions in game that normally would only require one button on the keyboard to pull off. This could be added to your Heretic port as well.
I personally can't do it because I don't own a USB keyboard to test this with. Sorry.
August 30, 2010 03:39AM
^^No sweat, though another idea crossed my mind in regards to a comment you made before. About getting heretic, and hexen working on Wiidoom. Seeing as Wiidoom is a source port of the Doom game engine you might be able to view the source code of yet another source port engine to see how it has been accomplished on that particular port, and you may be able to replicate that code in some fashion in your workings of Wiidoom. For one I recommend looking at Zdooms source code. Zdoom can make use of games that are based directly on the Doom game engine. Heretic and hexen are both covered by this, as is Strife. When I originally made my post requesting Zdoom, or GZdoom (or both) getting ports I thought of how much effort it would save by not trying to port each game individually, and figuring out code paths to make IWADS run properly, cause the code was just there waiting to be ported.

Anyways the source code for Zdoom is in the following link: [zdoom.org] Also you may want to think about possibly merging the two source engines. Zdoom basically is PRBoom, and then some with some other features not seen in PRBoom or other source ported engines. Also the base code of each is very similar to the other as the Doom game engine utilized mainly C or C++ programming languages. You couldnt exactly stray from them too much.

Anyways hopefully you'll find something in that code to help you get an idea of how to make heretic and hexen functional with wiidoom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2010 03:42AM by nightwishfan1.
August 30, 2010 11:43AM
You updated Hexen gj. Is there somewhere you would appreciate any bugs info for these ports I.e. code dumps, sound issues? Ilm full o questions today lol... how do you handle the wiipointer acceleration/deadzones? only reason i ask is i have been wanting to look into coding for the wii but I have been busy learning python and about 100 diff. Other things.
An excellent idea for aiming would be to somehow linearly interpolate some sort of bar graph to adjust the deadzones, no turning/minor turning rate/and full on turning. Kind of how my logitech mouse or wacom tab let's you adjust sensitivity. It would really add to the accuracy and polish of either port.

I know it's a novel over here. Btw I understand the issues with the hd textures just throwing It out there. So to recap for the A.D.D. in all of us
1. You updated sweet.
2. If you want critiques or bug reports then where?
3. How did you code your wii pointer in relation to UDLR or mouse?
4. Would it be possible to adjust dead z's, minor turning and full turn speed using x, y, coordinates?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2010 04:21PM by reroshaggy.
August 30, 2010 11:45AM
Sorry for being a nuisance I'm usually typing these from my cell on my third shift job. 5am get's very slow.

7:57am Just thought of something... I'm not sure if you can change turning rate on the fly seeing as there's no console in this game and it doesn't really have "out of the box" good pointer support. You may be able to do some sort of repetetive keystroke thing. example: within this x,y, -x, -y the turn key would press this many times a second until let go. If x, y, -x, -y, goes past that then the turn key would use it's default rate. idk maybe this sounds like gibberish but there's logic somewhere in there i'm sure.

BTW can't strafe and turn on my wii it stops moving altogether. :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2010 04:18PM by reroshaggy.
September 15, 2010 04:23AM
So Arikado how's the port coming along?
September 15, 2010 05:54PM
For the moment, Hexen, Heretic, and DOOM are all on the backburner while I work on my emulators. As far as I'm concerned they are complete ports that work as well as they are ever going to without significant engine rewrite (which all of your suggestions above would force me to do). Not being lazy; They just don't interest me enough to continue to develop them right now.
September 15, 2010 09:14PM
Sad to hear but I understand. Have you or could you release your source so people can work on things like the turning and so on. To me that's the only real issue with Heretic/Hexen not being able to turn and strafe.
September 15, 2010 10:41PM
Source has been out since before the projects were ever even released officially. See the checkout tab on the google code pages (browse would work too).

Anyone who makes any progress with them will immediately be added as a member to the SVN if they wish.
September 16, 2010 04:01AM
Thanks man
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login