Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

out with the system menu, lets make our own operating system with the help of priiloader

Posted by ziggyhbomb 
okay, 4.3, quite a bit of work for team twizzers this time, and soon, 4.4, 4.5, 5.0, none of which adds ANY features. but what if we can leave the system menu, just keep it for backup, what if we created our own system menu (yes, there is wiimu, but after no updates for nearly 2 years, i think it is dead). but, we can do that, if we try.
what i am thinking is just to make a simple app that can launch channels, use priiloader, and we have a basic system menu.launching wii games would be nice. also an add on system, so other people could create features while the main coders just worry about bugs.

cons
no banners for channels(i think)
workaround- put your own pictures! (i always wanted a picture of a rabbit for super mario bros!)

crashing and bugs
workaround- time,and patching tea

the fact that this could die too
workaround-luck

pros

little worry about patches
safer custom skins
a LOT less work for team twizzers

and if this succeeds, best of all
THE LOOK ON NINTENDOS FACES!!!!!!!

as for me, i would gladly make a base skin(s) (just the actual pictures, i am not good with coding,yet!)
i am looking at SDL, but i am not going to be a pro soon.

so what do we have to loose (besides time), but the list of gains will surly outweigh the bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2010 03:09AM by ziggyhbomb.
there still are a number of things that haven't been accomplished in homebrew that makes replacing the system menu not possible. mainly, you cant sync wiimotes or set up a network connection with homebrew. looking at the channels' banners is always a fun thing, but not necessary. until the first 2 of these 3 things is done in homebrew, any system menu replacement will be a waste.
Re: out with the system menu, lets make our own operating system with the help of priiloader
August 30, 2010 01:42PM

a LOT less work for team twizzers

Not sure how you figure that. TT will ALWAYS want to have exploits for the latest System Menu for new Wii owners etc. So its really no different. And I don't think they're all fans of Priiloader anyway.

But anyway, as giantpune said, there are MANY things needed in homebrew before a replacement SM is viable. For example:

*Reading message board
*Syncing Wii Remotes
*Setting up WiFi
*Changing other settings (e.g. parental control etc.)

Once all those things are possible, we may see some SM replacements. In fact, there are already a few (e.g. Freedom), but they're not particularly good, you're better to autoboot HBC, then you can load discs via Gecko OS or TinyLoad, and channels via WiiMU or Gecko OS.
i guess you are right about the wiimotes, but isn't using the nintendo network for the use of homebrew against the network policy, i think it also states it will shut down if we use it for homebrew, and i don't people angry that they can't use mariokart wifi racing.
and can't we make a different set of parental controls?

alright, i will slowly start this project but will not make a release until wiimote syncing has been accomplished
Re: out with the system menu, lets make our own operating system with the help of priiloader
August 30, 2010 05:46PM
ziggyhbomb
i guess you are right about the wiimotes, but isn't using the nintendo network for the use of homebrew against the network policy, i think it also states it will shut down if we use it for homebrew, and i don't people angry that they can't use mariokart wifi racing.

What the flip???

Configuring a wifi connection through homebrew is not against any policy. And you can't use nintendo's network for homebrew. So I fail to see what on earth you mean.

And about parental control: That was just an example, there are a bunch of settings in the SM that we can't modify with homebrew AFAIK.

Also: Don't double post.
SifJar
But anyway, as giantpune said, there are MANY things needed in homebrew before a replacement SM is viable. For example:

*Reading message board
*Syncing Wii Remotes
*Setting up WiFi
*Changing other settings (e.g. parental control etc.)

Reading mail stored in 1-2 cdb.vff was already done see PlayStats. [www.wiibrew.org]
However, moving new mail received stored in wc24recv.msg to cdb.vff and writing to wc24send.msg to send mail can't be done yet, since the .ctl files need reverse engineered first.
You could try setting up wifi by writing to(though that info isn't 100% complete): [www.wiibrew.org]
You can change parental controls etc just by writing SYSCONF.
okay, before we get this project started, lets get wiimote syncing accomplished, while i am waiting for that to happen, i will brush up on programing. and one thing, what is double posting ( i am new to forums :) )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2010 03:35AM by ziggyhbomb.
August 31, 2010 04:15AM
ziggyhbomb
okay, before we get this project started, lets get wiimote syncing accomplished, while i am waiting for that to happen, i will brush up on programing. and one thing, what is double posting ( i am new to forums :) )
So you're going to wait for someone else to do all the work...?

Double posting is when you make two consecutive posts without anyone replying in between.
So like,
My post

your post

your post

someone else's post
actually, my last 2 homebrew apps crashed my wii and would not run, however, i already am making the .png pictures so i have a few ideas about the gui. about the wiimote syncing, i would gladly help anyone, but my coding is not good yet, but if they need a gui, that is one area can help with.

i would like to say that, i am using game maker and making app that would show the layout ( my idea of the gui) however, i am sill at loss wondering how to port this to the wii. i may release the computer version to show you the layout in around one week from this post. however, i heard about sdl coding and also heard it is fairly easy to port things on that, is that true?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2010 03:12PM by ziggyhbomb.
Looks like they gave up on your idea..... If you have the gui on pc, I'll check it out. I was thinking about this after reading this thread, and I may be able to help in a few ways myself. Hit me up either by PM or in this thread.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login