Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

uDraw Gametablet

Posted by cactusjack901 
uDraw Gametablet
December 05, 2010 09:17AM
First off, before I begin, I'd like to apologize for not being around, life smacked me upside the head.

Anyway

At the beginning of November, I was down at my local Wal Mart, and saw a peripheral for the Wii that piqued my interest, the uDraw Game Tablet, by THQ. It's marketed as a kid's peripheral with games like Pictionary, and an included drawing studio. My birthday was on the 28th, and my best friend got it for me. Well, he got sick and it took until tonight for him to get it to me, but, I got it. As soon as I saw it in the store, I saw a huuuge potential for homebrew software with this thing, but I wanted to have it in my hands first, to see if this was viable. After playing with the included drawing studio for a little while (I COLORED A SPACESHIP [imgur.com] ), I can safely say that I haven't had this much fun with coloring in a long time. The included drawing studio is actually very fully featured, I was quite surprised (one feature I particularly enjoy is the above exploited Export to SD Card feature). I'm not going to be putting this down any time soon.

Just thinking though, I see a huge potential for homebrew apps, maybe even make it usable for emulators like SNES9x as a Mouse for games like Mario Paint. Maybe write a little notepad app. This thing can be used as a cheap graphics tablet. Obviously nothing compared to a $500 wacom, but for the average joe, who would like a graphics tablet, this could potentially be it. If we crack this thing open, software wise, maybe we could even write an addon for GlovePIE or DarwiinRemote, or something of the like, so that it can be used as such. My only problem is, I'm the only person I know who owns this, and I don't know where to even begin for something of this sort. I also have this nagging feeling that someone more knowledgeable like Arikado doesn't have one. That being said, would it be possible for me to team up with someone who is knowledgeable with this sort of thing, and I'll run the software required and gather the data, but they'll decipher what I can't. I'd love to get more into programming, so this would also be a good motivator for me to teach myself, and have someone help me along.

Sorry this sounded like an ad, and so will this, if you can, buy this thing. I just had to get this out there, that this is something worth looking into. Anywho, is anybody else willing to work with me on this, perhaps teach me a bit, as well as unlock a world of possibility for the Wii homebrew scene?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2010 09:21AM by cactusjack901.
Re: uDraw Gametablet
December 05, 2010 01:46PM
I would be very interested in this, I hope you succeed, although I don't think I can help. As soon as I saw a preview in a magazine, I thought that it'd be a great way to get a cheap graphics tablet for the PC, via connecting the Wii Remote over bluetooth.
December 05, 2010 02:21PM
more or less exactly my thought. The more I play around with it, the more I love it. It's very responsive, and feels pretty sturdy. I've but two gripes, the cable for the stylus feels a tad short, but not restrictingly so. The other problem is due to the fact that I'm left handed, I tend to hit the buttons on the wii remote, but if I adjust how I hold the stylus slightly, it makes no difference.

I also can't get over just how robust the included studio software is. maybe later today I'll make a little video, showcasing some features for you guys. I also came up with another great homebrew use for this thing. Sega Pico emulator =D
January 09, 2011 04:58AM
cactusjack901
more or less exactly my thought. The more I play around with it, the more I love it. It's very responsive, and feels pretty sturdy. I've but two gripes, the cable for the stylus feels a tad short, but not restrictingly so. The other problem is due to the fact that I'm left handed, I tend to hit the buttons on the wii remote, but if I adjust how I hold the stylus slightly, it makes no difference.

I also can't get over just how robust the included studio software is. maybe later today I'll make a little video, showcasing some features for you guys. I also came up with another great homebrew use for this thing. Sega Pico emulator =D

Sorry to bump an old post, but my siblings got the game for christmas, and I just got around to checking it out. I'm left handed to and have the same issue! :P

Sadly, I haven't found any nifty homebrew programs that implement this :/
March 31, 2011 01:07PM
You should try to do the same with anroid tablets... more people have those!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login