Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So after Castlevania, I tackle Zelda...

Posted by Yoghurt 
So after Castlevania, I tackle Zelda...
December 13, 2010 08:11AM
And thats about It. See, I have too much free time, and instead of saving the planet or working out to get rid of my glorious belly, I'd rather do a second project.

So waht I be looking for is somebody to code it. HOWEVER since I know it would be a big task, I am only asking for a basic movement and map loading system. nothing else.

See, I'd love to do some graphical stuff first to get things rolling. And I love Daid and not so secretly hope he could do this with me once the Prophecy is done. And I'd like to have some stuff done already if this happens.

So basically, I'd need my character move and the maps to load and thats it already.
You would be doing this on PC its basically just for me to test the visuals to make my workflow better.

I'd be very grateful if one could do that for me :)
Re: So after Castlevania, I tackle Zelda...
December 13, 2010 10:46AM
Lets finish The Prophecy first :P

And there are quite a few zelda clone projects already, from 100% custom graphics to rips from Zelda 1 for the nes or Zelda from the snes.

[www.zeldaroth.fr]
[www.zeldaclassic.com]
[sourceforge.net]

I actually have code lying around for a zelda clone with snes graphics. But that doesn't use 'free form' pictures for maps as you used for The Prophecy, but a tilemap. It's pretty old code, so I have no idea what state it is in.

The 'engine' I build for the The Prophecy is also so generic that I could easily adept it for top down use.

And if you want to build something in the style of zelda, then don't forget to take a look at the other excellent games which follow the same style: Secret of Mana, Terranigma and Soulblazer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2010 10:48AM by Daid.
December 13, 2010 04:22PM
and thats the reason i love you my dear^^

yeah, i do love those games, especially terranigma. so good.
well, i already have a few things in place. as ive already said, i have way too much freetime on my hands and need something to do while you are not available XD
so, if you find the time, could you adapt the prophecy code for top down? i could test the level maps then. saves me alot of trouble. and alot of time once mirenia is done. speaking of which, i got some nice stuff coming your way^^
December 13, 2010 05:10PM
Yoghurt
and thats the reason i love you my dear^^
You better stay with your wife, she is better looking ;-)

yeah, i do love those games, especially terranigma. so good.
well, i already have a few things in place. as ive already said, i have way too much freetime on my hands and need something to do while you are not available XD
so, if you find the time, could you adapt the prophecy code for top down? i could test the level maps then. saves me alot of trouble. and alot of time once mirenia is done.
I'll put something together quickly. Shouldn't be to hard, as long as you don't need to many animations and stuff.

speaking of which, i got some nice stuff coming your way^^
I surely hope it's not another god damn water snake :-P
Or will it be graphics for Artija? Which might be the last piece needed for finishing the stage 1 intro.
I think I will do some work on the Venus plant tonight, as the water snake is driving me mad :-D
December 15, 2010 07:18PM
As I forementioned in a previous post, I'm still rusty with coding, but I'd be happy to help contribute by providing any music for the game. Let me know if you're interested...

As a side note: I have a 1st gen wii, one of the first models, and I've got the latest HBC available. I tested your Prophecy minutes after it was posted and I got a black screen and was sent back to HBC. I don't mean to hijack this thread - sorry - just wanted to let you know...
December 16, 2010 04:48AM
hey slyfox, just redownlaod it we uploaded a fixed version ;)

as for the music, as a musician, i do all that myself. still, if you want to contribute with music, go ahead, whip up some nice zelda like tunes (no real zelda tunes though) and send them over and ill take a listen. if its any good, its in, saves me work^^
December 16, 2010 11:45AM
The black screen&return to HBC is a failure to load any data (font data in this case) this is because the data file needs to be found in the right folder on the SD card. I've updated the zipfile with the right paths. This was fixed a few hours after the initial post.

The demo has also been added to the homebrew browser, so you could pick it up from there (we have 9 downloads! whoho!)

If you want to help with the code then you are welcome, even if you are a bit rusty. The code is mostly C++, without templates or anything fancy. The basic engine should be easy to follow, all the wii/PC related stuff is abstracted to simple generic functions and classes that act the same on both platforms. Most magic is handled by the base classes which are solid now.

For a small example, I added a very simple static burning flame effect yesterday. This is all the code I needed to add:
class TBurningFlame : public TObject
{
public:
    int frameNr;

TBurningFlame(int x, int y);
    virtual ~TBurningFlame();

virtual void draw();
    virtual void tick();

OBJECT_SAVE("%i,%i,burningflame,\n", int(x), int(y));
};
TImage* burningFlameImage = new TImage("Game/sprites/flame_burning.png");

TBurningFlame::TBurningFlame(int x, int y)
: TObject(x, y, 18, 32, -2)
{
    frameNr = 0;
}

TBurningFlame::~TBurningFlame()
{
}

void TBurningFlame::draw()
{
    burningFlameImage->draw(int(x) - viewX, int(y) - viewY, 18, 32, 18 * ((frameNr / 4) % 8), 0);
}

void TBurningFlame::tick()
{
    frameNr++;
}
And 2 more lines in my level loading code along the lines of, if (strcmp(type, "burningflame") == 0) new TBurningFlame(x, y);
And 2 more lines in the 'developer mode' code (which is not active in the released versions) so Yoghurt could place them.

15 minutes later there where pretty flames placed all over stage 2. Our development cycles are short and fast, it's really great this way.

I'm still thinking about some tricks so the lines in the level loading and developer mode are no longer needed, but I don't want to lose the flexibility I currently have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2010 11:46AM by Daid.
December 16, 2010 01:24PM
Well hey if you're accepting additional coders I think you two sound like a fun couple to work with!

I took the plunge and went back to school this year, nixing my former abundance of free time, but I do have a 3-week Christmas break starting right about... now!
December 16, 2010 10:34PM
Sounds good, I'll DL the source later on and take a look. It's good to know that it was fixed so I'll have a look at that as well..

I'll whip up something and send a link later on...
December 19, 2010 03:30AM
Ok, I did three small concept pieces, here's the links... Hope the coding is coming along well!

http://zachdoesntwork.com/music/Concept1.mp3 - Idea of Intro-style music

http://zachdoesntwork.com/music/Concept2.mp3 - Idea of Cut-scene style music

http://zachdoesntwork.com/music/Concept3.mp3 - Idea of Dungeon/Battle style music
December 19, 2010 06:53PM
okay, so i love concepts 2 and 3. very nice. i suppose you are adding more insturments and stuff as we go along. as for the coding, i can tell you the graphics are doing fine. if you ahve msn or ICQ send me your contact data as PM we can talk there^^
December 19, 2010 10:44PM
Yeah, I'm doing multi-instruments. I like laying down a base piano line to get an idea recorded and then I use it for concept. My keyboard has over 238 GM voices, so there's no lack in good instruments.

I'll PM you my info as requested...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login