Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Angry Birds makes me angry. So ....

Posted by scanff 
Angry Birds makes me angry. So ....
May 17, 2011 08:05AM
I just read this [bossfightgamingblog.wordpress.com]

I'm sure many of you have played the latest IPhone/Pad game called Angry Birds. It's basically a physics sim. where you throw birds at towers, much like crush the castle. Well although the company has made $50 million they will not credit Box2D on the game, not even a little thanks.

Anyway ... This attitude has made me angry. I was thinking of cloning this on the Wii with a little spin on this bad attitude. So I'm here to ask if the old Bash the Castle team of WaxyPumpkin72 and bg4545 have time to help? Or anyone else for that matter. I think 60% is already done with Bash the Castle.

Thoughts? Volunteers? Ideas? Am I being a jerk? :)
Re: Angry Birds makes me angry. So ....
May 17, 2011 08:30AM
Sure, I can help :)
May 17, 2011 09:26AM
And tons and tons of games are using Box2D. Anyone who played a bit with Box2D will know how it feels, and instantly notice any game that uses the same engine. After it got ported to flash there is this huge explosion of flash physics games. The stupid thing is, it feels pretty unnatural for platform games, where it is used a lot. (You can get platform games to work right, but it requires a lot of tweaking so the controls don't feel sluggish)

Also: [box2d.org] (because you can never have enough links for your google rank)
May 17, 2011 04:49PM
Thanks bg4545, your artwork is always awesome!

Daid, I know it. Flash has taken the fun out of game development. I have messed with the javascript version of box2D, that's pretty fun. At least javascript requires a little skill. Funny though I've noticing more and more sites switching back to javascript (JQuery,Mootools etc...) and dumping flash. I've always disliked flash, you can do pretty much everything in JS that you can do in flash.
May 18, 2011 03:16PM
I never saw angry birds as being ver ground breaking either way but Flash as a tool is a great. Well until they started to turn towards a Java style coding structure then I just never looked at it again. If I could run flash apps on the wii I would probably test it out because as a tool its very functional. Of course javascript as its uses but its no Flash GUI replacement.

I've never used it before but someone should do a box2d page on wiibrew.
May 18, 2011 04:43PM
owen
I never saw angry birds as being ver ground breaking either way but Flash as a tool is a great. Well until they started to turn towards a Java style coding structure then I just never looked at it again. If I could run flash apps on the wii I would probably test it out because as a tool its very functional. Of course javascript as its uses but its no Flash GUI replacement.

I've never used it before but someone should do a box2d page on wiibrew.

I think there was a box2D page at one time -at least for the library. - Here's a javascript demo [box2d-js.sourceforge.net]

I'd have to disagree with you on flash. With css and javascript you can do mostly everything flash can.

Is angry birds flash? I don't have an I-mythingy and looked at it as a chrome plug-in.
May 18, 2011 05:08PM
I think it has been ported to everything. Most of Angry bird's quality is in its art design, not so much the game itself. As for flash; flash is to javascript as word is to notepad. Javascript can do everything flash can but you can't do it as quickly or take as many compatibility risks. As I said before, flash is a tool, last time I did any flash work was in 2002 and most of the files still work; [owensoft.net]

As for an Angry birds clone, I don't think it would solve much, unless you are going to copy all the graphics as well, its almost like Plants V Zombies - 80% artwork.
May 18, 2011 06:52PM
owen
I think it has been ported to everything. Most of Angry bird's quality is in its art design, not so much the game itself.

The art is nice, very simple though.

owen
As for an Angry birds clone, I don't think it would solve much, unless you are going to copy all the graphics as well, its almost like Plants V Zombies - 80% artwork.

I'm not trying to solve anything. Just add another open source game to homebrew, like I said above a few of us pooled our resources and made Bash the castle - [wiibrew.org] a little over a year back. I've got nothing to gain financially from it. With a few changes it would not take much to make a game similar to angry birds and add another game for the homebrew community to play.
May 18, 2011 07:06PM
ok, cool, I see, I'm just starting in c programming and I am not much of a artist so I can't help. good luck.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login