Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Shairport for Wii (Apple AirPort emulator)

Posted by buddypepper 
Shairport for Wii (Apple AirPort emulator)
October 24, 2011 09:17PM
This is something that already exists as Open Source for Windows, and originally started out as Open Source on Linux, I believe....it would be amazing if this could come to the Wii. This lets you stream audio (and some tools are out there to stream video as well) from your Apple iOS device to an AirPort receiver - this software would make the Wii into a receiver...
Re: Shairport for Wii (Apple AirPort emulator)
October 24, 2011 09:20PM
....forgot to post the link to the Windows project: [shairport4w.sourceforge.net]
October 24, 2011 09:55PM
It'd be a nice touch if this was added to something like WiiMC, but I'd say its a fair bit of work for probably a relatively few potential users. And if the specific devs behind WiiMC aren't interested in it, it probably won't get added. They have too much else to do (fixing bugs in the existing code, adding features they care about, having a life etc.) to add every feature people request.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2011 09:56PM by SifJar.
October 24, 2011 10:09PM
That would be the logical place for it, I suppose....maybe I'll post the suggestion there - I'm not so sure that it would be for only a few users, since this would give access to your iTunes library from anything running iTunes plus any iOS devices....and there are lots of users running that stuff. Anyway, I'll mention it there and see where it goes...thanks for the comments!
October 25, 2011 02:06AM
It relies on DNS Service Discovery (aka Bonjour/Zeroconf) which is a bit problematic on the wii due to lack of multicast support. It may be possible to implement it using broadcast instead but I doubt anyone will make the effort.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login