Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GameCube online rooms

Posted by MasterKnightDH 
GameCube online rooms
February 06, 2012 03:40AM
Here's the idea: a channel that provides the ability to set up a room to play GCN games with other people. A player would make a room, determine if either friends or anybody would be allowed in, and then start up the game.

All those GCN games that get gimped by lack of online multiplayer? With the channel, you'd be able to play them online. Super Smash Bros. Melee? Have some friendlies with friends. Mario Kart Double Dash? Race to your heart's content. Pikmin 2? Time to scavenge!

But this is only in idea form right now as far as I can tell. Still, we can be sure it'd be worth getting off the ground.
Re: GameCube online rooms
February 06, 2012 05:25AM
That will never happen.
February 06, 2012 05:30AM
Elaborate please. And for the record, it's not an emulator. DS could recieve exact game data from games for itself, there is no reason why the Wii shouldn't be able to recieve exact game data from GameCube games.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2012 05:31AM by MasterKnightDH.
February 06, 2012 05:43PM
In Wii mode, GC games cannot run. They can only run in GC mode. And GC mode doesn't have WiFi capabilities or I think even network capabilities at all. Due to hardware limitations, this will never happen.
February 06, 2012 06:57PM
Really? Can't you have the files on the ISO sent to be accessible on the non-host Wii(s), as well as accessible controller port info? Then all that would ever be needed to send during the gameplay itself would be the inputs and the host's RNG.

DS can already do this more or less, only it also has to determine what each player sees and whatnot too. GameCube ISOs don't ever have to do this, since everybody who is playing "offline" is going to view the same thing.

I don't know why you can't manage backwards compatability on a more powerful system than one that already sends the info of its own games while simultaneously sending specific info for the non-host system(s).
February 06, 2012 07:14PM
What are you talking about? You're making absolutely no sense. The Wii does have backwards compatibility. But it can't add features to old games. This will NEVER happen. I am sorry, but that is the fact of the matter.
February 06, 2012 07:42PM
It will never happen because nearly all video games interact with the internet in a different way. It would take too much work to hack features into old games. Sorry, it will never happen.
February 06, 2012 08:41PM
Ive seen all sorts of insanely long online projects with skilled hackers vthat take over a year at times so id say this is far from impossible

if enough people want it or if people got together with good technical know how im more than certain it could be accomplished

with current technology something like this is definitely within the realm of possibilty
February 06, 2012 08:51PM
Have you seen any of these projects on the wii?
February 06, 2012 10:30PM
It's not going to happen. Locked.
February 07, 2012 12:00AM
One more thing, just because the DS has a feature doesn't mean that the Wii can too. The DS is handheld and, as such, was built to send game data between DSes. The GameCube was made to be played in one room on one TV. You can't change that without some serious hacking. You brought up something about ISOs, but ISOs are totally irrelevant. Games don't usually send files from the disc, assuming that the other players have the same game (and same data on the disc) it wouldn't even need to. Controls and player content are what gets sent and since the GameCube game uses just one disc, it wouldn't be able to handle the separation of who's P1, P2, etc between 4 game discs.
The only thing I can think of is that I believe Mario Kart: Double Dash had a system link feature which you could probably use something like Xlink to connect to other players, but you would need the original GameCube hardware and broadband adapter. It's physically impossible for the Wii.

I hope I've elaborated enough for you.
*Re-Locked*
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.