Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

how would i make a app to run specific files?

Posted by thatguychaos1 
how would i make a app to run specific files?
February 18, 2013 02:57PM
i wanted to know how would i make a app that runs specific files(like ROMS)
i read the coding tutorials but it seems that it doesn't have what i need.
If anyone could give me some code as a bases that would be great.
Re: how would i make a app to run specific files?
February 18, 2013 04:29PM
It depends on the file. Every file type is different (hence they are different file types), there is no one way to handle all of them. You can open any file very easily with something like:

FILE* fp = fopen("example.txt", "r");

but opening the file isn't going to do anything on it's own. You need to have code to handle the content of the file. For ROMs, you need an emulator. This is no small task and requires fairly advanced knowledge of programming as well as of both the system you are trying to emulate and the system your code will run on. I don't want to put you off learning to program or anything, but it sounds like you don't have much experience in doing so, and this is not an ideal first project for a beginner. Learn simpler stuff, get to know more about programming etc., and then try and look at open source projects for the Wii, and try to learn about Wii programming that way (although be careful as there are probably some bad pieces of coding out there full of bad coding habits which you don't want to pick up), then turn your attention to bigger things such as your own Wii projects.

Also, one topic is enough.
February 18, 2013 05:33PM
ok thanks also just for a reference im trying to emulate arcade roms do u know any code that can start me off with my project.(arcade roms are in zip format and must stay in that format to work)
February 18, 2013 06:17PM
well sifjar i'll delay this project i guess and make a game simlar to it for HBC. i googled a bunch of info on coding emulators and it seem its take some time. I'll just make a game simlar to mvc to keep it simple. But thanks for the tip i appreciate it.
February 18, 2013 07:32PM
Programming most useful things "takes some time". Games aren't exactly "simple" either, there's a lot more to them than most people think.

(I'm not saying you shouldn't start learning; go ahead and get started, just don't expect to knock out a great game in a weekend or anything like that. A decent game will take time to develop, even when you're an experienced programmer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2013 07:33PM by SifJar.
February 18, 2013 08:01PM
also one last thing for sprites i would use libwiisprite?
February 18, 2013 10:50PM
You could do, yes. There are a few different graphics libraries for the Wii (GRRLIB, libpng, libwiisprite [which itself uses libpng]), you should try and have a look at examples of each and find the one which suits you best. According to the libwiisprite wiki page, it is designed for "rapid game development", so that sounds like it's probably what you're after. Although the wiki page also says it is under "heavy development" and is only "semi-stable" (I am quite sure it has been abandoned in it's current state though, so it's probably as good as it's going to get), which may mean you could experience some bugs or various problems along the way.
February 18, 2013 11:19PM
Most great games can take a year or more to create devolop and code. When you take alot of time it turns out better then to rush it.
February 18, 2013 11:29PM
alright just in u guys opinion what graphic engine do u think is better?
February 18, 2013 11:32PM
I couldn't tell you that I haven't got into coding yet, though its something I would like to learn some of, just can't sit for long time doing that kind of stuff.
February 18, 2013 11:36PM
i kind of know wat u mean also lets say i have libwiisprite to get it to work in need libpng right?
also once i made my frames for a animation wat format should each image be?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login