Raw WiFi access (for Linux)
August 01, 2008 11:05AM
Re: Raw WiFi access (for Linux)
August 01, 2008 01:20PM
Cheers for the great info as always.
This gotta be gold for Nuvalo :)
August 01, 2008 02:32PM
Well, yet another solution for this problem may be the ios_stub with IPC functions (just like the python client) once it's done. The whole libusb-like interface the IOS exposes also isn't fully suitable for a kernel module - isobel already demonstrated that it's possible but he wasn't quite happy with that solution either the last time i talked to him. That was a few weeks before the release though so he could've changed his opinion.
Having raw access to starlet's hardware registers is at least in my opinion the sanest solution to add new functionality to linux. The big disadvantage is that none of the current modules would work and that most of them would need to be rewritten and that linux would depend on a custom IOS. But that will happen if we want to read DVDs with every modchip on the other hand.
It would nevertheless require reverse engineering of the hardware registers for the wifi adapter if there currently isn't a driver for it.
August 12, 2008 02:50AM
Linux already has a driver for this chipset -- bcm43xx -- but I don't know what Starlet registers are used to poke at it in the Wii, at any level.
August 12, 2008 10:59AM
I thought the wifi card was placed on a mini pci buss, according to your (bushing's) schematic. For Linux to be able to work with the wifi card the first goal would be access to this buss instead, since the system can just figure the rest out on it's own.
August 14, 2008 04:45AM
There's some debate over that; I originally had it as connected via SDIO, but was peer-pressured at the last moment to change it to MiniPCI. I now regret my moment of weakness.

The Broadway can't access the bus directly, either way. (and what is this "figuring out on its own" you speak of ?!!?)
August 14, 2008 10:34AM
Oh, that is just refferering to the generic PCI support that most OSes has by now.
August 17, 2008 12:02AM
... which is there because people implement it when they port an OS to a new platform ...
April 13, 2009 06:24AM
April 15, 2009 08:01AM
April 16, 2009 03:53AM
yeah, that's the driver we looked at last year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login