Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone try to network 2 Wiis without Internet?

Posted by TheAltruist 
Anyone try to network 2 Wiis without Internet?
May 25, 2010 12:23AM
So... yeah. Title says it all. Wii's that want to be networked want to be connected to the internet. In the event that Internet is not available, then what?
I'm thinking that spoofing the server would be possible. I'm just wondering if anyone's tried it. And if so, did you get it to work?
Also, if anyone has Wireshark captures of a networked game, that'd be really cool.
Re: Anyone try to network 2 Wiis without Internet?
May 25, 2010 12:31AM
I don't think that could work, because the wii would have to act as a router, which it can't do, i don't think.
May 25, 2010 07:00PM
No, no. What I'm saying is this: Network two Wii's to a router. Set a PC with a static IP address on the WAN port of the router and maybe even have it host a set of VMs emulating the Wii online servers to allow play between two or more Wii systems.
May 26, 2010 01:41PM
There are two different quetions here. One is Wii to Wii. If you had your networks setup and one ran client and one ran a server, it would work regaurdless of whether they are across the internet or on the same LAN.

Same goes for the other case: two Wiis connecting to a common server. The server and be on your LAN or it can be out an the internet... You could have one Wii and your server on your LAN and your friends wii across the internet connect to your server.

There is pretty much endless combination of these setups.

If you are trying to spoof a server and redirect traffic... You can do that on the internet but you can on your LAN. If your router was smart enough (like pf in FreeBSD) you could redirect outgoing connections to a specific server IP to a local server or a different remote server.
May 26, 2010 05:08PM
WFC uses SSL. The only way to run your own server is to patch the game to use plaintext.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2010 05:10PM by yellowstar.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login