Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What Wii-Linux to choose?

Posted by badbob 
What Wii-Linux to choose?
February 18, 2010 03:42AM
I got a 3.4 Wii with the patched boot2 (can't be changed to bootmii).

I want to use Whiite linux on the wii.

There are different downloads:
[www.gc-linux.org]

And different hardware support:
[www.gc-linux.org]

Which one to choose?

Can I use the mini version? I need USB 2.0 and the 24+50 MB = 70 RAM.

If I can't use the RAM+ Version, can I swap file on the SD card help? I just a need a running linux server system with low power consumption.
Re: What Wii-Linux to choose?
February 18, 2010 04:05AM
1. MINI version will only work with bootmii, use the IOS version.

2. Use the swap file on a USB device, SD cards use flash, and if you use a swap on SD, it could mess up the SD, because flash storage has it where after a certain number of I/O, it will eventually fail/corrupt.

:]
February 18, 2010 12:27PM
Thank you for the answers :).

It was mentioned that the ~50 MB, if they can't be used as RAM at least are useable as SWAP device? Is this correct? This maybe would be enough.

I want to do this (a small linux crypto server):
[forum.wiibrew.org]
February 18, 2010 02:02PM
MIKE under mini actually might be a better choice. It does require some form of BootMii, but you gain USB 2.0, faster SD access, use of the DVD drive, and use of the internal Wi-FI hardware, as well as 11MB of RAM. As you say you need USB 2.0, mini is your only choice.
February 18, 2010 02:51PM
Ok but I can't use mini without a vulnerable boot2.

Or it is possible?
February 18, 2010 05:53PM
badbob
Ok but I can't use mini without a vulnerable boot2.

Or it is possible?

BootMii as IOS

EDIT: In fact, that exact reason, is why BootMii even exists as IOS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2010 05:53PM by cactusjack901.
February 19, 2010 12:56AM
MIKEp5 v2.6.32 IOS has no USB 2.0 support :(. [www.gc-linux.org]
Is it an error? If not, it is possible to get USB 2.0 working in some way? Without USB 2.0 I can't use the Wii as fileserver. Is there any possibility bootmii gets a USB 2.0 support?

Marcan told sometimes he had done a USB 2.0 driver. Can I be added into the bootmii ios?

I realy would like to have a cheap eco friendly fileserver :(.
February 19, 2010 05:27AM
If you just need a server, search on the wiki, for ftpii, Wiihttpd, or Wii Web Server.
February 19, 2010 07:07AM
badbob
MIKEp5 v2.6.32 IOS has no USB 2.0 support :(. [www.gc-linux.org]
Is it an error? If not, it is possible to get USB 2.0 working in some way? Without USB 2.0 I can't use the Wii as fileserver. Is there any possibility bootmii gets a USB 2.0 support?

I think this confusion comes and comes again because of the "overloading" of most of the names used.

Short answer: YES, you can use USB 2.0 with a MINI edition of a MIKE kernel booted via BootMii as IOS.

Long answer:

You should take the following into account when dealing with MIKE gc-linux kernels:

- IOS means Nintendo IOS.
- MINI means Team Twiizers "Mini Is Not IOS" (i.e. MINI launched either via BootMii as boot2 or via BootMii as IOS).

BootMii as boot2 launches MINI on boot.
BootMii as IOS launches MINI when a specific IOS is loaded manually. This is usually done from the corresponding "Launch BootMii" option in the home menu of The Homebrew Channel.

(In fact BootMii as boot2 or BootMii as IOS can launch not only MINI but any custom application for the Starlet processor [armboot.bin]).

When MINI is booted (via whatever method) it looks for a custom application [ppcboot.elf] and launches it if found and valid. This custom application is usually BootMii menu (aka "Celing Cat"), but again it can be any custom application for the PowerPC processor, like for example a MIKE gc-linux kernel (MINI edition).

The IOS editions of the MIKE gc-linux kernels are designed to be booted as a normal HBC application.
The MINI editions of the MIKE gc-linux kernels are designed to be booted by MINI, either via BootMii as boot2 ("direct booting") or via BootMii as IOS (use "Launch BootMii" option in the home menu of The Homebrew Channel).

Hope this clarifies a little bit all this naming mess.

Cheers,
isobel

PS: See "Using BootMii" in [bootmii.org]
February 19, 2010 12:35PM
@hunterM: I need a crypto server, but thx for you tips ;).

@isobel: This sounds great, thx 4 explaining. Can I use then the whole RAM (~70 MB) if I'm using BootMii as IOS launches MINI? If yes then there is nothing, stopping me from creating the ultimate Wii Crypto Storeage Server [non tm] ;)
February 19, 2010 01:50PM
You can use all (or at least a lot more than running it under IOS lets you use) of the RAM under MINI.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2010 01:51PM by WikiFSX.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login