Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Wiibrew Wiki HackMii Blog

Advanced

"speaker-test" audio crackles using whiite

Posted by SmartOne 
"speaker-test" audio crackles using whiite
August 09, 2013 03:58AM
Re: "speaker-test" audio crackles using whiite
August 11, 2013 04:04AM
I don't know whether this will help you at all, but I was having the same problem running Ubuntu. I'm not at all sure what fixed it, but I noticed it was fixed after I had switched from Ubuntu Desktop (Gnome) to Xubuntu (Xfce). Like I said, I don't know if this information will help you, but I figured I mention it. When I get the time, I'll see if there's a /etc/asound.conf in each archive. In the meantime, I wish you luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2013 10:53PM by q885.
August 13, 2013 03:27AM
August 14, 2013 11:04PM
I checked my archives to see if they contained an "/etc/asound.conf". Neither did. Sorry.

Let me know if you get "depmod" working. I never did. Operating under the assumption that the Isobel kernel didn't use modules, I just created an empty file called "/lib/modules/2.6.32-isobel-wii/modules.dep". That got rid of the error. You could also look into using a different kernel, which would most likely fix this problem.
August 14, 2013 11:34PM
Kernel modules are created as part of the kernel compilation procedure. The mikeP5 kernel wasn't packaged with all its modules, and they aren't in the whiite distributions either. You can build the kernel from scratch following the directions on GC Linux, or you can check out Easy Wii Linux. I built all the relevant modules and included them in the linux disk image.
August 15, 2013 03:50AM
Thank you so much for your help. Wow, I tried using "snd-hwdep.ko" from farter's Wii Debian distribution in the "/lib/modules/2.6.32-isobel-wii" directory. After solving the "vermagic" problem, modprobe finally failed with "Invalid module format."

So you think a different distribution will have the required audio kernel modules for smooth ("works") playback? Maybe I'll try another. I'm running out of SD cards. :( Even Geexbox Wii can't play audio files smoothly. That's suspicious.

I know nothing about building kernels. Do you have a link to a Wii-specific guide? Isn't MIKE p5 the latest "official" Wii Linux kernel? I didn't know a kernel could have dependencies on modules for kernel features such as "working" audio.
August 15, 2013 08:21AM
August 15, 2013 09:39PM
Which part of that guide is the modules? Does the MIKE p5 kernel patch contain the audio module that will fix my audio playback?
August 17, 2013 03:49AM
August 17, 2013 04:07AM
August 17, 2013 11:10PM
Okay, I'll give this one last try. ;)
August 20, 2013 02:49AM
August 21, 2013 07:50AM
To compile modules do this:
make ARCH=powerpc CROSS32_COMPILE=powerpc-linux- CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-linux- modules

Then to build the modules to a directory of your choice:
make ARCH=powerpc CROSS32_COMPILE=powerpc-linux- CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-linux- modules_install INSTALL_MOD_PATH={type the full path here}
August 23, 2013 09:27PM
Is this fix magical? In other words, does this fix install "the audio module that will fix my audio playback?"
August 24, 2013 09:02AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login