Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Atarai 2600 joystick Wii Mod

Posted by mr_microphone 
Atarai 2600 joystick Wii Mod
July 19, 2009 03:36PM
I've been enjoying Wii2600 on the HBC and wondered if anyone has attempted making an old Atari 2600 joystick work with the Wii. Logically, the joystick would be an extension controller in place of the Wii Nunchuk. I can handle a soldering iron, but I'm no electrical schematic-reader type.

I've been looking online at the disassembly of both the classic 2600 joystick and the Wii Nunchuk. Could it work in theory by simply placing the Nunchuk's guts and extension wire/wiimote contector into the Atari joytsick, taking out the nunchuk's potentiometer, and solder in place jumper wires to the corresponding circuit board direction leads of the Atari?

I didn't know if there's a voltage incompatiablity, what the wire gauge would be or if the two controller circuit boards would even work together. The nunchuk's accelerometer and "z" button could be bypassed altogether because atari games are only 4-point directional and 1 fire button (no need to mod an extra "z" button to the controller, or even to "shake it" for onscreen movement... but that would be cool possibilities nontheless for another project.)

It couldn't be as simple as soldering 5 wires and using a dremel to make room for the nunchuk's board, could it?

Has anyone done an Atari 2600 joystick conversion for the wii? Will it even work? I found a video of someone putting an Xbox 360 controller in an Atari joystick, as well as videos of people making it into a TV remote and a lamp (?!)

If anyone can help, I'd appreicated it.

Keep up the great job with Wiibrew!
Thanks!
Re: Atarai 2600 joystick Wii Mod
July 20, 2009 12:35AM
I am sure, using the Gamecube ports would be alot easier.
July 29, 2009 08:27PM
daniel_c_w
I am sure, using the Gamecube ports would be alot easier.
AND cheaper.
June 23, 2010 01:16AM
It has been done using the GameCube ports. It acts as the D-pad and the A button.
[www.raphnet-tech.com]
Of course, it needs to be a D-pad compatible game and be able to use one button, like a Master System Sonic game.
August 11, 2012 08:25AM
mr_microphone
I've been enjoying Wii2600 on the HBC and wondered if anyone has attempted making an old Atari 2600 joystick work with the Wii. Logically, the joystick would be an extension controller in place of the Wii Nunchuk. I can handle a soldering iron, but I'm no electrical schematic-reader type.

I've been looking online at the disassembly of both the classic 2600 joystick and the Wii Nunchuk. Could it work in theory by simply placing the Nunchuk's guts and extension wire/wiimote contector into the Atari joytsick, taking out the nunchuk's potentiometer, and solder in place jumper wires to the corresponding circuit board direction leads of the Atari?

I didn't know if there's a voltage incompatiablity, what the wire gauge would be or if the two controller circuit boards would even work together. The nunchuk's accelerometer and "z" button could be bypassed altogether because atari games are only 4-point directional and 1 fire button (no need to mod an extra "z" button to the controller, or even to "shake it" for onscreen movement... but that would be cool possibilities nontheless for another project.)

It couldn't be as simple as soldering 5 wires and using a dremel to make room for the nunchuk's board, could it?

Has anyone done an Atari 2600 joystick conversion for the wii? Will it even work? I found a video of someone putting an Xbox 360 controller in an Atari joystick, as well as videos of people making it into a TV remote and a lamp (?!)

If anyone can help, I'd appreicated it.

Keep up the great job with Wiibrew!
Thanks!
[www.atariage.com] i know this is old but hope this helps. i have done tons of mods for the wii. here is a few atari mods i have done. scroll down for a chuck/joystick mod and chuck/paddle mod. if you are using a forwarder for wii2600 and you dont see the paddle options, get a new forwarder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2012 08:29AM by pimpmaul69.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login