Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What DVD drive do I buy?

Posted by DJHoboMan 
What DVD drive do I buy?
February 29, 2012 06:17AM
I plan on replacing the old, broken drive on my Wii with a new one, but the problem is that I'm not sure what drive to buy. I have a launch day wii, RVL-001, and I've noticed that there are quite a few different drives out there. I'm guessing that some of the drives out there are incapable of playing Gamecube games, and that is bad, I need it to play gamecube games.. Does anyone have suggestions for which drive I can buy? For example, on Amazon, there are D2A drives, D2B, and D2C. What do I get, or does it even matter?
Re: What DVD drive do I buy?
March 01, 2012 05:24AM
Before buying a new drive I suggest that your try adjusting the three screws that keep the spindle motor in place.
I did that to my Wii when it started having problems reading discs and once I adjusted the screws it worked perfectly, the only negative aspect of this is that it takes a while before you find the correct adjustment.

Hope it helps
March 01, 2012 06:02AM
Did your discs still spin? My discs do not spin at all, I don't think adjustments will fix it.
Thanks for the reply.
March 01, 2012 02:15PM
My discs didn't spin, the adjustment solved the problem
March 02, 2012 02:17AM
I'm not an expert with disc drives but I'm pretty sure they all can read Gamecube games. Only the newer horizontal Wii's can't read them.
March 27, 2012 05:06PM
@DJHoboMan and @headfirst4halos did your disc drive spin and then make a single "click" sound when you put the disk in? I'm trying to figure out which one is the actual issue because no one seem to be clear as to what happens to the drive if you play MW3 too long.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login