Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Load a Channel

Posted by htaed 
Load a Channel
October 06, 2010 02:05AM
Hi

I am currently working on an app specifically to load channels with memory patches (in a similar way to riivolution or GecoOS). However, I cannot work out how to list the channels or how to boot them (just a bit vital). So firstly, what is the best way to get a list of all the installed channels (preferably in an array)? Secondly, how do you launch a channel? I have looked at a few source codes but none seem organised or commented so it is difficult to follow. Thanks for the help

htaed
Re: Load a Channel
October 06, 2010 08:32PM
Launching a channel can be done simply by using the function WII_LaunchTitle(), but I have never been able to get it to work (probably as I am not a programmer) - look at bootOpera source for more on that.

As for listing installed channels, maybe have a look at bushing's Title Lister or SysCheck or something like that.

And BTW, Gecko OS can already launch channels with memory patches, why do you need a new loader?
October 07, 2010 01:02AM
Thanks SifJar, I will go look at them. I wonder how I missed the load channel when looking at Geco OS. Nevermind.

And in reply to
SifJar
And BTW, Gecko OS can already launch channels with memory patches, why do you need a new loader?
Purely as a test to push my own limits as a programmer. And I get a migraine if I use GecoOS too much
October 07, 2010 08:20PM
If its the interface of Gecko OS thats the problem, I think you can change it (may need to compile with different images, but thats it). The skin was changed a few releases back, so its definitely possible, and I'd say that'd be easier than writing a new channel loader :P
October 07, 2010 09:22PM
SifJar
If its the interface of Gecko OS thats the problem, I think you can change it (may need to compile with different images, but thats it). The skin was changed a few releases back, so its definitely possible, and I'd say that'd be easier than writing a new channel loader :P

If Gecko OS finds a file named background.png in its folder, it uses that as the background. If changing this is your only desire, there is no need to modify the application.
October 15, 2010 01:43PM
Ok, I understand that I can edit the background on Geco OS. However I also wanted to challenge myself with a difficult project. Besides I have found out how to get the channel ID and store it into an array. Now my only question is how do I get the channel name? Logically it must be stored some where within the channel data (like the ID is). However I can not see where to get it from. Any help please?

thanks

htaed
November 03, 2010 05:26PM
htaed
Ok, I understand that I can edit the background on Geco OS. However I also wanted to challenge myself with a difficult project. Besides I have found out how to get the channel ID and store it into an array. Now my only question is how do I get the channel name? Logically it must be stored some where within the channel data (like the ID is). However I can not see where to get it from. Any help please?

thanks

htaed

The channel name isn't stored in the T.M.D. In fact I don't think it is stored at all, you might be able to decode something but I doubt it. As far as I know it is only displayed in the banner of the channel.
November 04, 2010 04:39AM
the channel name is stored in the content in the TMD with index 0. open this file, seek to 0x40 and there will be all teh names in whatever languages the developers decided to put in. it is using 2 bytes per letter.

ATD mod, wiixplorer, and geckoOS all contain different code to get the names, but they all get it from the same spot.
November 04, 2010 04:59PM
giantpune
the channel name is stored in the content in the TMD with index 0. open this file, seek to 0x40 and there will be all teh names in whatever languages the developers decided to put in. it is using 2 bytes per letter.

ATD mod, wiixplorer, and geckoOS all contain different code to get the names, but they all get it from the same spot.

This doesn't make sense, how can there be all the names. There is only one name ant that is something like: Internet Channel, Disc Channel...
November 04, 2010 08:28PM
LaserFlash
This doesn't make sense, how can there be all the names. There is only one name ant that is something like: Internet Channel, Disc Channel...
giantpune
November 05, 2010 05:57PM
Set your wii to spanish or french and look at the names of your channels.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login