Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Unity Support for HBC?

Posted by TheJeli 
Unity Support for HBC?
March 13, 2012 08:20PM
Hi there everyone.
I am learning to make games with Unity and I noticed it had Wii support.
I was wondering if Unity games could be made to run on the homebrew channel.
I didn't wan't to waste money on a pro license.
Re: Unity Support for HBC?
March 13, 2012 08:30PM
Email the people behind Unity Support but my guess is no.
March 13, 2012 11:54PM
I believe you need access to the official Nintendo SDK to compile Unity games for the Wii. Which means Unity is designed specifically to work with that SDK, and won't work with the homebrew one. Unless you happen to be a licensed dev, you won't be able to compile your games, let alone run them.

Although I believe HBC can run DOLs compiled with the official SDK. So in theory I guess it might work, if you have official SDK. But in that case, you couldn't (legally) distribute your application because it would contain Nintendo code from the official SDK.
March 14, 2012 07:46PM
Well thanks everyone for the help.
If I wan't to make games for the Wii, which way is the easiest. (I am a programming n00b).
March 14, 2012 07:49PM
The only real way to make half decent games is learn programming I'm afraid.
March 14, 2012 08:11PM
You could probably get by on using a lua interface but on the wii its either go hard or go home. I suggest you maximise your skills programming on the computer before you try jumping on the wii. Unless you want to do a very simple game which you are willing to struggle through. What kind of game are you planning to build?
March 15, 2012 08:56PM
Probably a basic platformer to develop my skills.
March 15, 2012 09:05PM
well then you will have to learn how to program in C or C++ without the fancy tools that you get from Unity. Nothing but text files. But you get accustomed to it if you stick it out. [wiibrew.org]
If not you will be better off sticking to with unity on computers.
March 16, 2012 04:22PM
Not directly related to your question, but I've written a Unity3D exporter script and an importer for Wire3D. As there are no shaders on the Wii, it basically only exports the transformation hierarchy (scene graph), meshes, textures (including lightmaps), cameras and material render states. It's not perfect, but I've used it to export this from Unity to Wire.
March 18, 2012 06:18PM
@owen, I think go hard or go home is a little too extreme. I wrote a few programs for the wii, and now I'm learning to develop for Android. I found C much easier to write, even with just a text editor and command line makefiles. Compared to java and the fancy IDE of eclipse
March 18, 2012 06:31PM
When talking about Java hard versus C hard we are talking about 2 different kinds of hard. Java hard is slugging through tons of API's, documentation and a IDE which is HUGE! C hard is in turns of learning error messages, for-loops and variables - general learning to program stuff. Being that he mentioned Unity I guessed that he really wants to keep using the Unity IDE and tools - so going to text file only setup maybe a bit hard for him/her to do - at first. But its possible with a little work.
March 26, 2012 06:24PM
I only downloaded Unity because I was curios and I saw the Wii feature.
SO basically I don't need anything fancy. Just the easiest way.
March 26, 2012 06:31PM
for unity info; read [answers.unity3d.com]
without the license from nintendo and the special version of unity you won't be able to use for wii development - sorry.

If you really want to do wii stuff try a tutorial; [wiibrew.org]
May 03, 2012 04:12AM
Here's what I would do if I were you. Load up Unity on your computer, make a good platforming game, put it out there for free, get as many people onboard as possible. Hone your skills with it. The tricky part is getting a hold of the official Nintendo SDK (which there really isn't any way around, unless you want to do a ton of programming just to reach the few people that really enjoy homebrew); they don't give it out to just anyone. I emailed them about a year or two ago asking what their requirements are. What they told me - paraphrasing here by the way - is that you have to have a concrete studio (internet based is a no-go) with SOMETHING out there to show you have at least some clue what you're doing. If so, you should be golden. If not, you're pretty much out of luck.

However you choose to go about it, good luck and have fun!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login