Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TEVSL, "TEV shading language" -- call for testers (development tool)

Posted by puppeh 
TEVSL, "TEV shading language" -- call for testers (development tool)
October 05, 2011 09:29PM
Hi,

I've been working on a tool for a while to make setting up the GameCube/Wii texture environment a bit easier. It's not perfect or really finished, but it might have reached the stage where others might find it useful. If you want to learn more about it or have a go, head over to:

[crtc.t4nk.org]

and have a look. It only works with libogc/devkitPPC, not the official devkit (which I have no access to).

Cheers!
Re: TEVSL, "TEV shading language" -- call for testers (development tool)
October 13, 2011 02:14AM
Looks pretty advanced. You have any demo apps that make use of the functionality? I would love to see what it can do without having to set it up and compile.
October 13, 2011 01:36PM
Hi Owen,

Yeah, I guess that might help people get started. I'll see about putting something together later...
October 13, 2011 10:19PM
I've put a small example up now, complete with .dol file (for GameCube). Press "A" to change the lighting/shader model used, or Start to exit back to the loader (err, which might not work unless you're using SDLoad).

Actually an earlier version is on Youtube, though that won't help you much with using the tool :-).

Enjoy!
October 18, 2011 12:48AM
Anyone wanting to try out tevsl, but who is using Windows and has been put off by excessively-complicated-looking build instructions for the prerequisites for building it: you might be interested to know that I've now put a Win32 binary up on the download page linked above. It doesn't have any 3rd-party dependencies, as far as I know -- just put it in your path somewhere.

Hope that helps!
November 11, 2011 04:11AM
I tried it and it works! I'm still playing around, but it's really nifty!
November 11, 2011 04:08PM
Thanks, I'm glad it's working for you! Let me know if you run into any problems, and I'll try to help -- either here, or by email (address on the download page).
March 17, 2012 09:54AM
Congratulations! TEVSL is a really great idea. Any chance you could also output HLSL pixel shader code? Would be great to use that in a multi platform framework.
March 17, 2012 01:48PM
Hi!

Thanks for the comment! I've kind of considered emitting HLSL (or rather GLSL, probably) shader code as an alternate output form -- but, TEVSL input files tend to be quite highly specific to the rest of the graphics hardware in practice, and that's not under control of the compiler. So, it'd likely be of quite limited use, I think.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login