Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

One DSi Topic to rule them all

Posted by Arikado 
Re: One DSi Topic to rule them all
June 13, 2009 04:18AM
Really? I've always thought that you had to write a certain piece of code that would allow it to crash, then write the loader so that it could load the file (the .nsdi file). That's actually pretty neat. Despite it being so simple, it looks like it's a fairly tedious process.

Now trying to crash something sounds fun. =P
June 13, 2009 01:28PM
Like I said before, the stuff that loads an .nds (or .ndsi) file will have to be written in C/C++ (or maybe ARM asm -- I'm not entirely sure) and embedded into corrupted file in a place where it will be run after the crash occurs.

Just crashing the DSi is just playing around with files in a hex editor. And yeah, it is kinda fun. Nintendo has sanity checks for everything, so your best bet to corrupt a file is to play around with the bits in the middle of the file. If you know how to disassemble, you might try finding where a variable's value is stored and then making it insanely long or small (which is kinda what happened with the twilight hack and epona's name). But not to the point where a sanity check would sniff it out.
June 14, 2009 03:28AM
sanity checks?I need one too.... or was it my DS? Hmmmmm...all i know is that the kid that sits in front of me on the bus has a DSi, and i shine a laser pointer into the camera whenever he takes a picture. And he wonders why they're all red. =p From what I've seen, the i part is a gimmick. OOOOHHHH!!! A camera! Let's fork out another 200 bucks for something we don't need! And yet the kid doesn't mind that there's no GBA slot. What is wrong with him?????????????? Maybe I'm just.....i need to invent a word to describe me. I know! Gar-Bear-licious! I'm Gar-Bear-licious!

*EDIT: Oh yeah, and the weird thing is that my buddy has a DSi and a 2i thingy and he can't auto-DLDI patch stuff. HA! I don't know what that is, but i see it everywhere on those gbatemp reviews of flashcarts for DS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2009 03:33AM by z400100500.
DS Download Play?
June 14, 2009 08:35PM
[www.pocketgamer.co.uk]
[masscat.afraid.org]

I'm kinda stupid at this, but since people can send .nds demo files to their DS over DS Download Play using a normal WiFi adapter, there seems to be a chance for some foreign code here. Is anybody working on this? Am I doing wishful thinking again?
June 14, 2009 08:41PM
As far as I can tell, that would only open up room for an exploit in DS mode. We're looking for an exploit in the Native DSi mode.
June 14, 2009 09:43PM
you mean with the cameras and extra processing power?
June 14, 2009 09:46PM
Not quite.

You know how the Wii can run under Wii Mode (IOS) and Gamecube Mode (MIOS)? Well the DSi can also run under DSi Mode and DS Mode in a sort of similar fashion.
June 15, 2009 12:27AM
Hmm. Arikado, if we can't send '.ndsi' files to our DS, then I'm assuming Nintendo wouldn't be able to either, and I'm not sure if Nintendo would limit themselves like that.
June 15, 2009 12:48AM
Zack
Hmm. Arikado, if we can't send '.ndsi' files to our DS, then I'm assuming Nintendo wouldn't be able to either, and I'm not sure if Nintendo would limit themselves like that.
umm... that's not it
June 15, 2009 01:02AM
What I mean is this: Why would Nintendo limit DS Download Play on the DSi to only DS apps? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to enable DSi-feature-using apps as well?
June 15, 2009 01:38AM
oh, i see what you're getting at...
but that's what the dsi shop is for
June 15, 2009 02:16PM
I can't honestly confirm or deny if .ndsi files can be sent over DS Download Play with the DSi. It wouldn't surprise me either way whether or not it could. I would guess it can, but it hasn't been taken advantage of yet.

However, if performing an exploit using this is possible, it's probably not feasible for most people using methods described in the links you posted above Zack.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2009 08:56PM by Arikado.
June 15, 2009 07:39PM
True, but it could help a few at least :P

[Warning: Stupid Idea Follows This Sentence]
Also, if people went to, say, E3, a designated person could set up a laptop and a network card and run downloads of the potential homebrew loader installer for all to enjoy. Of course, they'd probably have to hide the device, some people might not be too happy for whatever reason. Now that I actually think about it, there'd have to be quite a few distributing laptops... or just a "Homebrew Station." I'm not sure what Nintendo might do about this, though.
June 16, 2009 07:11AM
[davee.x-fusion.co.uk]

Check out the ChickHEN exploit. It uses images to run homebrew and install custom firmwares for PSP. Someone might create something similar for DSi.
June 16, 2009 01:41PM
The exploit is centered around a corrupted .tiff image. AFAIK DSi doesnt support .tiff Also, the cfw is ram stored.
June 16, 2009 10:33PM
Yah, but could you do this with a type of image supported by DSi? And yes the CFW is ram stored, but you can still install then using Hellcats recovery flasher, but thats a whole different story!
June 16, 2009 10:35PM
Well, technically any type of file the DSi loads is hypothetically exploitable.

Also, I think the guys "up top" are going for more of a DSi Homebrew Channel than CFW.
June 16, 2009 10:42PM
Yeah, if we could do an exploit like this, and create an installer, we could have one. But i have no idea if this is even possible. Just wanted to throw that out there.
June 16, 2009 10:55PM
Yup, and thank you for doing so. At this point, all ideas from the nonsensical ramblings to scientific inquiries are appreciated :)
June 17, 2009 03:08AM
Maybe there is an exploit lying somewhere in the DSi's Web Browser. It could work almost like the exploit that was available on the iPhone.

I'd just thought I'd throw that out as a possibility...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login