Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

System Menu 4.2

Posted by flyguy 
System Menu 4.2
July 29, 2009 08:09PM
I know Nintendo hasn't thought about it yet but what would you like to see happen in a new system menu?
Re: System Menu 4.2
July 29, 2009 08:14PM
Being able to download themes for your menu from the shop channel (like xbox live marketplace. You can download themes from there. :P).
July 29, 2009 08:17PM
that would be nice... i would like to see a sort of DLC channel where you can get things for games and it would patch it into the save game... like an add-on channel.
July 29, 2009 09:02PM
Yeah, that would be awesome! It would be cool if you could download new stages for brawl, or new courses for mario kart.....
July 29, 2009 10:02PM
Ideas and Requests (and WiiBrew in general) isn't really the place for this sort of chatter.
July 29, 2009 10:06PM
Yes, I know, but I don't have the ability to move a topic. :P
July 29, 2009 11:23PM
WaxyPumpkin72
Yeah, that would be awesome! It would be cool if you could download new stages for brawl, or new courses for mario kart.....

well i think that would require a different procedure as i dont believe that tracks or levels are stored in the savegame file

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2009 11:23PM by flyguy.
July 29, 2009 11:29PM
flyguy
WaxyPumpkin72

well i think that would require a different procedure as i dont believe that tracks or levels are stored in the savegame file
*sigh* You know what I mean. :P
July 30, 2009 12:31AM
Lol :-P
July 30, 2009 03:41AM
No affect to homebrew, etc.
July 30, 2009 06:20AM
master5o1

i dont think nintendo would do that
July 30, 2009 07:09AM
darklink
master5o1

i dont think nintendo would do that
lol, why not? They've done it already.
July 30, 2009 02:50PM
Nintendo doesn't seem to understand that blocking one hack doesn't mean that someone won't make another... Heck they should just give up!!! There are so many exploits that we haven't found that it would take Nintendo forever to find and patch all of them...
Edit: we need an exploit like the iPhone has...one that could only be fixed with a hardware update.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2009 02:53PM by flyguy.
July 30, 2009 07:45PM
Nintendo don't really seem to be too against homebrew. Yeah they killed twilight hack, but at first only temporarily, it took them what, two years to finally defeat it? They have never deleted HBC with an update, which would have been easy. They haven't killed bannerbomb, despite it being released quite a while before 4.1. Really, I don't think homebrew is their main concern. They got rid of trucha bug, but that was used for piracy, which I believe is the main reason they did that. They seem against piracy, but not homebrew. And they dont make that much effort against piracy either. Surely they could easily delete IOS 249 (i.e. cIOS), and change the Wii's User Agent String, so that "homebrew updaters", such as waninkoko's fail, dont work. And they could also update boot2 and delete the bootmii IOS, because they can also be used for warez through cBoot2. I reckon they could easily get rid of homebrew with an update, and piracy too.

To get rid of homebrew, they just need to:
1. Improve handling of banners, defeating bannerbomb
2. Delete HAXX and DVDX titles
3. Delete BootMii IOS and update boot2

And to get rid of piracy:
4. Delete cIOS
5. Block anything other than Wii Update accessing NUS

(I just hope no one from Nintendo read this =P)
July 30, 2009 09:13PM
SifJar
Nintendo don't really seem to be too against homebrew. Yeah they killed twilight hack, but at first only temporarily, it took them what, two years to finally defeat it? They have never deleted HBC with an update, which would have been easy. They haven't killed bannerbomb, despite it being released quite a while before 4.1. Really, I don't think homebrew is their main concern. They got rid of trucha bug, but that was used for piracy, which I believe is the main reason they did that. They seem against piracy, but not homebrew. And they dont make that much effort against piracy either. Surely they could easily delete IOS 249 (i.e. cIOS), and change the Wii's User Agent String, so that "homebrew updaters", such as waninkoko's fail, dont work. And they could also update boot2 and delete the bootmii IOS, because they can also be used for warez through cBoot2. I reckon they could easily get rid of homebrew with an update, and piracy too.

To get rid of homebrew, they just need to:
1. Improve handling of banners, defeating bannerbomb
2. Delete HAXX and DVDX titles
3. Delete BootMii IOS and update boot2

And to get rid of piracy:
4. Delete cIOS
5. Block anything other than Wii Update accessing NUS

(I just hope no one from Nintendo read this =P)
lol, cuz you're so much smarter than them. LOL, jk. :P

Notice in all of their update messages, they say "Any unauthorized files will be removed", but that isn't really true. They've never actually had an update delete the HBC, so I agree that they don't necessarily have anything against the HBC itself....only piracy.
July 30, 2009 09:21PM
WaxyPumpkin72
lol, cuz you're so much smarter than them. LOL, jk. :P

lol, sometimes i think so... oj

anyway, as you say they seem to be only against piracy, but they could try a lot harder, IMHO.

for a start, they could delete BootMii IOS. ATM, its only real use is for cBoot2, i.e. warez. NAND backup is pointless, and there are no MINI apps.

Boot2, however is a trickier issue. Kinda a catch-22. If they update it, they will get more bricks to repair, which means more money spent repairing wiis, and more work. but if they dont, it can be used for warez...
July 30, 2009 09:29PM
And all that because somebody used strncmp() :D

I wonder waht taht guy is thinking right know?
Is he still working for the company that did the securit stuff?
Is he ashamed? Or does he actually think we should thank him?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2009 09:30PM by daniel_c_w.
July 30, 2009 10:25PM
i wonder if he did it on purpose? I guess it could be possible, he thought, "oh, this could help homebrew" (or maybe he's a pirate). Either way, I wonder if he got fired when it was revealed. Or maybe he did this, then quit, and laughs himself to sleep even to this day. Guess we'll never know...

But really, would they not check the code before shipping it out? I mean, that's a pretty serious error when you think about it.
July 30, 2009 10:55PM
Well I hate to say this but some great apps like dop-IOS and startpatch use cIOS but unfortunately the maker of cIOS (waninkoko) is a supporter of piracy...

Edit: I read that nintendo can't update boot2 because of what boot1 checks in boot2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2009 10:59PM by flyguy.
July 30, 2009 10:59PM
flyguy
Well I hate to say this but some great apps like dop-IOS and startpatch use cIOS but unfortunately the maker of cIOS (waninkoko) is a supporter of piracy...
Um, what does that have to do with anything?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login