Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wolfenstein 3d-wii Test Version

Posted by MrPeanut 
Wolfenstein 3d-wii Test Version
April 20, 2009 02:22PM
Download the archive here: [drop.io]

Friends,
I'm looking down and noticed the tooltip on my windows taskbar for the clock, says it's April 20. I really didn't mean to time it like this but I have a version of Wolfenstein 3d ready for play, launched from the wii homebrew channel.

If you didn't get the joke I believe 4/20 is Adolf Hitler's birthday.

It's in test phase because there are some kinks I need to work out (adlib sound doesn't work, but "digitized" sound does work, etc)

Information about the release:

1) Based on Wolf4SDL v.1.6
2) Everything works w/ the exception of music and adlib (synthesized sound), your regular sound (gun shots, opening doors) work.
3) Just noticed now right before I started writing: saving games work, loading doesn't... I'll fix that soon...
4) I don't know what else needs to be fixed so I'm letting everyone test, pm or talk to me on irc if you have any suggestions...
5) Due to the nature of the engine, it can only be compiled for one version of the data files at a time, so I'm posting the engine along with the shareware files since that's what it's compiled for at the moment. I eventually want to write a loader for each version of have the engine decide dynamically how to load the data files but that's for another day.

Controls:

I tried to keep things as simple as possible, because it's a pretty simple game...

Turn the wiimote sideways:

1)The D-Pad moves you forward, back, left, right. No strafing yet, but it's not that big of an issue to me yet.
2)The A button changes your weapon, I might change that to the +/- buttons. (I'm really just gonna make everything self configurable in the game later on)
3)The plus button acts as the escape button, it backtracks menus and pauses the game, etc
4)#1 opens doors
4)#2 shoots your weapon

I know it's far from complete, I just wanted to release something so you guys have another "3D" game to play, and to receive input (positive or negative) on the progress so far since it IS playable. Please send comments/suggestions my way.

Anyway I'm going to bed, 8:13 am here heheh

Cheers, MrPeanut

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2009 05:00AM by MrPeanut.
Re: Wolfenstein 3d-wii Test Version
April 20, 2009 09:19PM
You should really add this to the WiiBrew wiki since you appear to be looking for testing beyond a small beta. If you want, I'll do it for you.

Also, as a moderator, I cant let you double post your topics. So let me know wether you'd prefer I delete the one in Testing Corner or here in Homebrew Applications.
April 21, 2009 01:59AM
Alright, I played through the first level and everything worked perfectly. I would prefer a control scheme more like the one WiiDOOM uses though.
April 21, 2009 04:59AM
Sorry about the double post, I'd rather keep this one going. I'll add it to the wiki

Thanks, MrPeanut
April 21, 2009 09:47AM
I'll download now, will test.
April 21, 2009 10:15AM
Alright, from what I gathered so far, here's my plan for release:

1) The loading of saved games really needs to be fixed first, top priority. Should be easy with a good gdb session.
2) This version is only compiled for the shareware version included, which only has 10 levels (I think). I'll compile for the full version as well and add it to my drop, again.. very easy.
3) "Modern" controls, i.e. wiiDoom, which I never thought was necessary, but there is demand for it, so I'll add it as an option selectable on the control panel.
4) Slight tweaking of the "classic" controls which would be ideally customizable via the control panel.

When these are satisfied, I'll post an official release.

===================================================================================

5) Adlib music, and adlib sounds. That comes after the release because I have a feeling it will take me some time to figure all that out. It is a must to me as the music of these old DOS games were very memorable to me, and the fact that we are missing a great deal of synthesized sound effects to the game.

As I take each objective on I'll post nightly builds of the code and source snapshots to my drop so people who are following the progress can have the opportunity to play/compile the same build that I'm working on.

Thanks for everyone's interest in the port,
-MrPeanut
April 21, 2009 12:29PM
An icon.png would be nice with the final release =D
April 21, 2009 08:08PM
Hey, I made a Wolfenstein icon!
If you want the meta file just click this link and it will send you to rapidshare. To open the .zip file you either need WinRAR or Compressed (zipped) folder, which you'll have anyway because it comes with Microsoft. I also added WinRAR file just incase that's the only option they could get the files from.
(Also i've included the icon with the meta.xml file).

Oh and I forgot to mention that I downloaded the Wolfenstein 3D game file and it doesn't open. Any ideas why?
Wolfenstein icon. Compressed (zipped) file (.zip).
WinRAR file.

EDIT: Made meta.xml file aswell. Just click the links.
EDIT2: Added WinRAR achive.
EDIT3: Download doesn't work.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2009 08:53PM by Kezza826.
April 22, 2009 05:42AM
Kezza826
Oh and I forgot to mention that I downloaded the Wolfenstein 3D game file and it doesn't open. Any ideas why?

It's because it's compiled for the shareware version. The game has to be compiled specific to the version of the game files you have. It's very easy to compile for the full version, just uncomment a line or two. I didn't bother to do it yet because I was testing on the shareware version (lost my 3 1/2 disks of the full game long ago lol) I'll compile for the full version and add that to my drop...
April 22, 2009 06:39AM
Have you looked at the source for the iPhone Wolf 3d port? John Carmack has released it here.
April 22, 2009 07:03AM
DrTwox
Have you looked at the source for the iPhone Wolf 3d port? John Carmack has released it here.

Hey, thanks for the info. I know John is a big supporter of open source software but didn't think to look for this. I do think it was based on Wolfenstein 3D Redux, which is an updated version of the engine. I chose Wolf4SDL because I noticed it before Redux, and it had everything I needed. It was an SDL port of the game, multi platform (only little endian support, atleast the version I used, until now). The only thing I'm really missing is the music, which is there, just not enabled yet because I haven't worked out the bugs. It's the OPL3 emulator which is included with DosBox and it's included with Wolf4SDL. As far as compiling the engine for each version, it's pretty easy in theory to fix that as the extensions to the data files end in *.wl1 or *.wl6 for shareware, and full versions respectively. Just scan for the extension and change the #defines to variables. There are some slight differences though, which need to be addressed before I do that.
April 22, 2009 07:49AM
I'd be happy to be a beta tester, i've been playing this since I was a wee child and know my way around ;)
Feel free to contact me on Beegee7730@hotmail.com
April 22, 2009 09:02PM
Plays pretty well. I personally like the NES-style of controller - maybe because I only used the keyboard when I played this a decade ago.

One bug I noticed: If you go into the main menu from the game, all of the information on the bottom of the screen turns into black boxes. These do reset to their correct value when changed (gain/lose health, fire bullet, character face graphic moves, gain score, beat level, change weapon, or gain/lose life).

EDIT: Oh, and strafe could possibly be done if you hold B while moving. It fits in well with your button assignments as they are now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2009 09:06PM by mustgowhee.
April 23, 2009 03:48AM
what ever happend to that port of duke nukem? i like how the "old" games are comming back but there are still many left out.

when games are ported, whats the conversion?

if the dos emulator is possible why not the .exe format not be excepted?

sorry for the offtopic.
April 24, 2009 05:09AM
Wolfenstein 3D-Wii 1.1a

Get everything at [drop.io]

1) Save/Load bug is fixed.
2) icon.png by Kezza826 added.
3) If you have the full versions of the data files, download the file marked "(full)." This will allow you to play all 6 episodes. Like I said I'd like to implement a loader in the near future, or just ONE engine but since we can now save/load our games I figured I'd just compile the full version as well for now.
4) If you have the Spear of Destiny *.SOD files, you can now play Spear of Destiny on your Wii. Just download the Spear of Destiny archive from the drop and install. Note: The data files are not included for Spear of Destiny and the "(full)" Wolfenstein 3D file.
5) mustgowhee has pointed out an issue where you go back to the game from the main menu, your status bar will not display correctly. This is now fixed. Thank you for bringing that to my attention mustgowhee.
6) If you hold the b button on your wiimote, turning turns to strafe. Try it out and let me know what you think. Like I said I DO want to do two different control sets: classic and modern with classic being what we have now, and modern being wiimote/nunchuk.

That's about it for 1.1a. Thanks everyone for your positive comments and suggestions. Thank you Kezza826 for the nice icon.png (got one for spear of destiny? :)
April 24, 2009 07:44PM
MrPeanut
That's about it for 1.1a. Thanks everyone for your positive comments and suggestions. Thank you Kezza826 for the nice icon.png (got one for spear of destiny? :)

No, I haven't but I could make you one. The only thing is though is that I've never heard of "Spear of Destiny" so.... yeah, but I'll look on Google to see what images there are and I could get an idea off of them.

MrPeanut
If you have the Spear of Destiny *.SOD files, you can now play Spear of Destiny on your Wii. Just download the Spear of Destiny archive from the drop and install. Note: The data files are not included for Spear of Destiny and the "(full)" Wolfenstein 3D file.

So, if I wanted the Spear of Destiny game would I just have to download it then drag the file and drop it into the Wolf3D file? Or do you mean I have to own the game or something?

Also, Wolf3D 1.1a doesn't work. When I load it up a black screen appears and then some writing appears saying the "Sound reaches out of page file" and then it says it is returning to the loader. Any solutions?

I've made the Spear of Destiny icon. I''ll upload it on the Wiibrew Wiki and I'll upload it on Rapidshare

*Icon download via Rapidshare
*Icon download via Wiibrew Wiki

EDIT: Spear of Destiny help.
EDIT2: New Wolf3D update error.
EDIT3: Edited the error name.
EDIT4: Made Spear of Destiny icon.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2009 12:56AM by Kezza826.
April 24, 2009 11:28PM
BTW, is there any chance of a classic controller or gamecube controller control scheme?
April 25, 2009 04:03AM
Arikado
BTW, is there any chance of a classic controller or gamecube controller control scheme?

Yes, there is. I just wanted to fix that save/load issue first and any bugs found in the game so far. I will add support for a wiimote/nunchuk scheme first with gamecube/classic controller to follow as I don't have a classic controller yet, will buy one now :) That, and the adlib sound/music. If you played the pc version you'd notice a lot of sounds are missing. I want to restore that too.

Kezza826
I've made the Spear of Destiny icon. I''ll upload it on the Wiibrew Wiki and I'll upload it on Rapidshare

Thank you very much Kezza826 :) I really appreciate your help!

Kezza826
Also, Wolf3D 1.1a doesn't work. When I load it up a black screen appears and then some writing appears saying the "Sound reaches out of page file" and then it says it is returning to the loader. Any solutions?

That tells me that the data files you are using and the compiled version of the engine do not agree. Assuming you didn't drop your game files in with the shareware .dol then, yeah, you're running just a different version of the data files, here check this out:

/*
Wolf3d Full v1.1 Apogee (with ReadThis) - define CARMACIZED and APOGEE_1_1
Wolf3d Full v1.4 Apogee (with ReadThis) - define CARMACIZED
Wolf3d Full v1.4 GT/ID/Activision - define CARMACIZED and GOODTIMES
*/

There are three different versions of the same game. I compiled for 1.4 GT/ID/Activision. Having three different versions makes everything a pain in the ass because the C/C++ preprocessor is used to determine which data structures to use, non dynamic. So it looks like I need to figure out what sets these different versions apart and let the game decide how to create the structs. Just curious though, what is the size of the vswap.wl6 file you are using in bytes?
April 25, 2009 08:53PM
MrPeanut
That tells me that the data files you are using and the compiled version of the engine do not agree. Assuming you didn't drop your game files in with the shareware .dol then, yeah, you're running just a different version of the data files, here check this out:

/*
Wolf3d Full v1.1 Apogee (with ReadThis) - define CARMACIZED and APOGEE_1_1
Wolf3d Full v1.4 Apogee (with ReadThis) - define CARMACIZED
Wolf3d Full v1.4 GT/ID/Activision - define CARMACIZED and GOODTIMES
*/

There are three different versions of the same game. I compiled for 1.4 GT/ID/Activision. Having three different versions makes everything a pain in the ass because the C/C++ preprocessor is used to determine which data structures to use, non dynamic. So it looks like I need to figure out what sets these different versions apart and let the game decide how to create the structs. Just curious though, what is the size of the vswap.wl6 file you are using in bytes?

Erm... Well to be honest I didn't know what you said there but the size of the vswap.wl6 file is... It appears I don't have one hmm=S but I have a file called vswap.wl1 and that file size is 726kb.
April 25, 2009 10:51PM
*.wl1 files are for Shareware (first episode levels, which is why it ends in 1) *.wl6 files (all six episodes) are the full version. You need to own the full game in order to play it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login