Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

wiisx (PS1 EMULATOR)

Posted by kydo 
Re: NEW EMULATOR ON THE BLOCK
June 28, 2009 07:58PM
DanielHueho
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/PCSX-Revolution

Cool, now leave the WiiSX team alone and start bashing the author of this one =P
Erm, the last public release of WiiSX was better than this!

Also, you may find emukidids response to the release of this very interesting: I quote,
emukidid
I’m not too sure about that version. It seems to be a unofficial fork from our WiiSX. Nothing was mentioned to us, so it’s the first I’m hearing of it. It’s a shame though as I recently picked up WiiSX and had made many improvements to it offline, but if the fork is better than our version, I’m happy that they continue it as long as credit is given where credit is deserved: to sepp256 for his GPU port, to me for my base work on the port and tehpola for his static linking of plugins in the build process.

The version I was working on offline has a working Dynarec and is near full speed with sound too, I’m happy to collaborate with the fork version maintainers if they want any help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2009 07:59PM by Arikado.
Re: wiisx (PS1 EMULATOR)
June 28, 2009 08:55PM
Oh... That's bad.

Well, still is someone new to bash =P
June 29, 2009 03:30PM
A beta of wiisx has just been released. CSOTN ftw!
June 29, 2009 06:08PM
Arikado
A beta of wiisx has just been released. CSOTN ftw!

Link removed due to safety concerns - that crashed firefox :P
(LOL, almost crashed mine too. But instead it just showed a quick error...)

EDIT: tech question, for anybody who understand this stuff:
PSX emulation is kinda of lightweight, right? AFAIK, PCs could emulate the console with Pentium II and less than 64 MB of ram, with interpreters, not recompilers.
How fast can be the interpreter mode on WiiSX?

EDIT2: I need a video! And I don't have a camera/capture card!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2009 10:31PM by DanielHueho.
June 29, 2009 09:16PM
how do I use this emulator? where do i put all of the files and everything? also, do i just rename the isos to .bin to get them to work?
June 30, 2009 01:20AM
Tudor
how do I use this emulator? where do i put all of the files and everything? also, do i just rename the isos to .bin to get them to work?
Why can't you just read the included README?
June 30, 2009 02:02AM
Readme doesn't mention bios.
June 30, 2009 02:28AM
DanielHueho
PSX emulation is kinda of lightweight, right? AFAIK, PCs could emulate the console with Pentium II and less than 64 MB of ram, with interpreters, not recompilers.
For the record, I have successfully emulated games at playable speeds (with sound) on a Pentium-233 with 48MB of ram. This was using Bleem, I don't remember if it used any sort of recompilation techniques, but the point is you don't need a whole lot of power to emulate a PSX. Granted, this was still far from fullspeed; I got maybe 15-30 fps, depending on the game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2009 02:28AM by BitLooter.
June 30, 2009 07:18AM
i did read the readme.txt file. id be stupid to come here without reading it first. all it says is to put .bin/(some other file type i cant remember) in a folder in the root of the sd card. i have an iso that was in .rar, so i renamed .bin and it freezes when its checking cdrom or something. if anyone can help...?
June 30, 2009 07:28AM
BitLooter
DanielHueho
For the record, I have successfully emulated games at playable speeds (with sound) on a Pentium-233 with 48MB of ram. This was using Bleem, I don't remember if it used any sort of recompilation techniques, but the point is you don't need a whole lot of power to emulate a PSX. Granted, this was still far from fullspeed; I got maybe 15-30 fps, depending on the game.

Trust me, it didn't emulate those games well...

As for ripping CDs, it's fucking easy. Just use imgburn, and use the Create Image File From Disc option. I would advise you pick the .bin format so that any included redbook audio tracks are copied as well. the iso format does not hold them. I am not certain if the nero format(nrg) or the clone cd format(I cannot recall the extension for that one, sorry.) hold them or not, but they shouldn't.

Note that if the CD is really old/in bad condition a bad rip could be made, or it will refuse it rip the disc. However, this is really only a concern if it causes problems(Many PS1 emulators will play bad images that would not run on a real console. I have run into this problem several times. >.<) or if you decide to spread the images around like a dirty pirate. :P
June 30, 2009 08:21AM
I.S.T.
My memories are probably colored by age, but I know it worked well enough that I would actually play games with it and not constantly curse the computer for being so slow. I don't know if you ever used Bleem, but it was a great piece of software for what it did. It's a damn shame they got shut down by Sony so early, especially with Bleemcast right around the corner. Just imagine what they could have been doing if they were still around now - full-speed XBox and PS2 emulation, anyone? But I digress...

IsoBuster is another program you could use for ripping discs. I haven't really tried Imgburn's ripping functions, so I can only guess that it's probably easier to use, but if you're the kind of person who enjoys tinkering with the internals of things you may prefer IsoBuster. It allows you to examine the structure of a disc; one possible benefit to this over Imgburn is that it's easier to see if the disc has audio tracks that need to be ripped for the game to work properly.
June 30, 2009 09:08AM
BitLooter
I.S.T.
My memories are probably colored by age, but I know it worked well enough that I would actually play games with it and not constantly curse the computer for being so slow. I don't know if you ever used Bleem, but it was a great piece of software for what it did. It's a damn shame they got shut down by Sony so early, especially with Bleemcast right around the corner. Just imagine what they could have been doing if they were still around now - full-speed XBox and PS2 emulation, anyone? But I digress...

It was exceeded by free software(PSemu Pro and pete's plugins) fairly soon after it's release. It wasn't anything special from a software point of view in terms of everything other than "HOLY HELL THIS ACTUALLY WORKS!" [www.pbernert.com]

That isn't to say HOLY HELL THIS ACTUALLY WORKS isn't important, it is. Bleem was influential, and is probably the reason PSX emulation got started and got as good as it did so fast(Much faster than N64 emulation, at least... That still has major problems. :()

I think fullspeed PS2 emulation isn't possible yet, as there's still a lot to be done there. it's come quite far, mind you, but many games still don't work right because stuff isn't emulated/emulated correctly/close enough to correct to get away with it. BleemS2 would have had the same problems. The PS1 is much easier to emulate because it's, well, normal. The PS2 is anything but.
June 30, 2009 11:16AM
***popcorn is over***

Thanks for the responses, BitLooter and IST. =)
June 30, 2009 03:05PM
alainvey
Orly?
WiiX README
Place all your .bin/.cue & SCPH1001.BIN in sd:/PSXISOS/
June 30, 2009 03:08PM
Tudor
i did read the readme.txt file. id be stupid to come here without reading it first. all it says is to put .bin/(some other file type i cant remember) in a folder in the root of the sd card. i have an iso that was in .rar, so i renamed .bin and it freezes when its checking cdrom or something. if anyone can help...?
Dude, you have to extract your .rar file to get to the sweet, creamy ps1 iso inside :P (Use Winrar) Most likely there will be a .bin and .cue file in there. Extract them both to sd:/PSXISOS/
June 30, 2009 03:57PM
Is it going to be possible to run psx games straight off of the disc using this emulator? (rather than ripping bins?)
June 30, 2009 04:02PM
thedemon13666
Is it going to be possible to run psx games straight off of the disc using this emulator? (rather than ripping bins?)
No. And it never will be possible.
June 30, 2009 05:57PM
Arikado
alainvey
Orly?
WiiX README
Place all your .bin/.cue & SCPH1001.BIN in sd:/PSXISOS/

I am error.
June 30, 2009 07:21PM
oh ok. i tried extracting it, but its corrupted, so ill try a different game. btw, where do i get that .bin file it mentions and that you have in bold? my wiisx-beta download came only with a .dol file and a readme.txt file
June 30, 2009 08:50PM
Tudor
btw, where do i get that .bin file it mentions and that you have in bold? my wiisx-beta download came only with a .dol file and a readme.txt file
It's illegal to distribute so I can't tell you where to get it. However, I was able to find it on google in less than 5 minutes...

Also, most ISOs come in multiple .rar files so you have to have all of them in the same folder and then just extract one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2009 08:51PM by Arikado.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login