Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Xyzzy does not work/hangs

Posted by daniel_c_w 
Xyzzy does not work/hangs
November 10, 2008 04:03AM
When I run Xyzzy it hangs at "hopes... /"

Launched via Homebrew Channel
from sd:\apps\xyzzy 1.0 (haxx.certs in additional data subfolder)
downloaded from wiibrew wiki link on november 6th

Wii: Pal 3.2E
System menu patched by Starfall
no other software modifications (except some Wads (signing bug))

WLAN is WEP encrypted
Homebrew Channel can connect (and updated recently)
Re: Xyzzy does not work/hangs
November 10, 2008 04:23PM
Why exactly you want to use Xyzzy? It's a pretty technical app, you know, and unless you are hacking your Wii, is kinda useless...

But about your question... No idea :-/
Do you have some cIOS installed? Because Xyzzy looks a free slot for installing the temporary IOS, maybe this is interfering.
November 10, 2008 04:57PM
Not certain, but try removing the space from the directory filename.
November 10, 2008 10:32PM
Hi,

Not certain, but try removing the space from the directory filename.
Tested and don't work. :
hopes.....
November 10, 2008 10:56PM
I tried the following:
renamed the folder to xyzzy
copied haxx.certs to the xyzzy folder
disabled WLAN encryption
downloaded xyzzy again
checked the sd-card

and for some extra mojo i removed gamecube memory cards

Am I misunderstanding something?
Xyzzy is supposed to work any Wii w/o any modifications, or additional hardware, right?
November 10, 2008 10:58PM
DanielHueho
Why exactly you want to use Xyzzy? It's a pretty technical app, you know, and unless you are hacking your Wii, is kinda useless...

2 reasons:
couriosity and backup

I like to know everything about the Wii I can and in case I brick my Wii I have the keys to read my NAND
November 10, 2008 11:03PM
well it has use actually...
1. In extreme brick cases you can possibly take someone else's healthy nand image and decrypt it... and encrypt it with your wiis keys... of course as a precaution... yet no current public howtos exist...
2. You can manipulate savedata & backed up content from wii
3. You can decrypt your own nand image
November 11, 2008 04:49PM

When I run Xyzzy it hangs at "hopes... /"

Ditto for me.

From what I understand, all the IOSs on Nintendo's servers have been updated to fix the bug which allows fake signing. Even if you haven't updated your Wii and had the fixed IOSs installed, xyzzy itself automatically fetches IOS11 from Ninty's servers. Xyzzy patches it to do its magic, installs it, switches to it--and apparently then dies when it runs into Ninty's fake signing fixes.

It should be possible to update xyzzy to patch out the fake signing fix in addition to the other things it patches, whereupon it would work again.

This would also apply to other things which rely on fake signing and also download IOS's from Nintendo, like AnyRegion Changer.

See also:

[wiibrew.org] -- IOS51 description
[hackmii.com]
[forum.wiibrew.org] -- Tona's response.
November 12, 2008 10:02AM
So, that's interesting. In some weird way, the 23Oct disabled PatchMii too.
November 13, 2008 12:59AM
DanielHueho
In some weird way, the 23Oct disabled PatchMii too.

Does PachMii only work with remote IOSes, or is it able to copy and patch installed IOSeseses?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2008 12:59AM by daniel_c_w.
November 13, 2008 09:51AM
daniel_c_w
Does PachMii only work with remote IOSes, or is it able to copy and patch installed IOSeseses?

PatchMii downloads the IOS WAD, and patches the WAD. Maybe I am wrong, but because the NAND content is encrypted, PatchMii is unable to grab the IOS from there and then patch it. Unless you have the encryption keys, but that's the reason why someone uses Xyzzy [:P]

Also, I need to correct myself:

DanielHueho
In some weird way, the 23Oct disabled PatchMii too.

It's not that PatchMii is disabled... But is like GreenShrike said: now that the IOSes are fixed, some functions of them, which were used by PatchMii-based apps, are now gone.

EDIT: (found some piece of text from a "unknown" blog)
[hackmii.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2008 04:10PM by DanielHueho.
November 13, 2008 12:07PM
I thought that software running on the Wii can read the complete NAND volume via IOS calls.
But why did bushing chose to download an IOS instead of creating a copy of an already existing IOS?

To test my theory I used the FS Explorer. I wanted to copy an IOS to SD card. So far without success

Where on the volume are the ioses stored?
I assume title/1/25 for example is IOS37. But all I find is an 64 byte 00000000.app file.

By the way: I found that directores for IOS 255 and 254 were already created on my Wii.
Did Xyzzy cause this?
I tried to use Xyzzy more than 2 times, perhaps even ten times, so shouldn't there be more than 2 directories?

I also read parts of Xyzzy's source code (patchmii_core.c and xyzzy.c),
but without knowing the basic purpose of most system and function calls I did not come far.
November 25, 2008 07:03AM
Xyzzy 1.1 : [wiibrew.org]

Thanks a lot Bushing!
June 09, 2009 08:26AM
I just tried running xyzzy, and it didn't work. I apologize greatly if it's not supposed to any more, as it's hard for me to tell what web pages are up-to-date and which aren't, but my interpretation was that v1.1 was supposed to still work. It did run, and it gave me my personal cert in the keys.txt file, but it didn't extract any keys. I got the following output:

xyzzy v1.1, powered by PatchMii
Sending things to Earth...
hopes..... fail..... bricks..... firmware.....\:
ES_AddContentStart(00000001000000ff, 0) failed: -1017

install returned -1
Warning, error installing keyripper IOS
Warning, error loading keyripper IOS: -4100

Loaded IOS: 36.12.18
found 0 valid keystore entries and 0 valid keyring entries.
.... Keys!
Cleaning up temporary IOS version 255

ES_DeleteTitle(00000001000000ff) returned -1017

Enjoy! (c) 2008 bushing / hackmii.com

I'm sure I'm doing something dumb, and I apologize if it should have been obvious, but I didn't find anything Googling on a few of the error messages, so I would really appreciate some help (even if it's just to tell me that xyzzy doesn't work any more).

I bought my Wii in late 2007, and I have menu version 3.4U.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Update: Do the error messages indicate that the program isn't working because I have an OS with slot 254 taken, as reported in [wiibrew.org], or is it now going into slot 255? In any event, is there any way for me to get a valid ECC key? At the end of the day, I just want to be able to edit save game data, so do I have another option if I can't get my key?

Update 2: I tried to use AnyTitleDeleter, but it also doesn't seem to work with 3.4U. Is my only hope to downgrade my IOS (my serial number starts with LU32), run AnyTitleDeleter and then run xyzzy?

Update 3: Or do I need to run the apps off of HBC v.1.01, as suggested in [forum.wiibrew.org]?

Andrew

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2009 04:37PM by acertain.
June 12, 2009 04:46AM
In case anybody is trying to do key extraction in the future, my problem was solved here: [forum.wiibrew.org]

Andrew
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login